The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 42 of 42

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by strumcat
    I had a nightmare one time that I was onstage with Yanni, Kenny G., Zamfir, and John Tesh all at the same time.
    I have a recurring nightmare that I'll be one of those guys that never gets past jamming alone in my room with Band in a Box. Now that is scary!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by richb2
    Sorry, I am just so tired of the "jazz is miles and everything else just sucks" thing. I have seen Jim Hall play a few times here in NY. I don't recall what he was wearing. But I can assure he was wearing clothes.
    Richb2, don't take it personal man. If there's one thing I've learned since joining intraweb 'communities', it's that there will always be somebody ready to hate on a guitar I own or a musician I like. The mistake is to take it all too seriously (and yes, I am guilty of this from time to time as well!).

In the end, we're all a just a bunch of faceless ones and zeroes so don't sweat it!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by strumcat
    I had a nightmare one time that I was onstage with Yanni, Kenny G., Zamfir, and John Tesh all at the same time.
    Dude, don't be harshin' on my Zamfir. He is the master of the pan flute, after all.

I still remember the TV advertisements for his recordings way back in the 80s..."relax, as Zamfir sweeps you away to a wsorld of haunting, tranquil beauty..."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Of course not. But once you start playing smooth jazz, there's a look many players adopt. They need to appeal to their audience. It's like that with any product...music is a business too.

Hell, I have a uniform too when I play...since most of what I do is restaurant/martini bar type stuff, I always dress a step above my audience, which means I rock a shirt and tie, often a jacket. I don't get the gig because I dress nice, but if I wore a hawaiian shirt and cargo shorts to one of these gigs, it might not matter how good I played--I'm not getting a call back.

Smooth cats often dress to the nines, but also it's important for the record company to make them look relaxed, to reflect the image of their music. Photographers get paid good money to do this... Hence my linen pants remark...don't take it too seriously, but don't overlook the fact that music is a product, and the folks who make it often are a total package, not just talent.
    Hah! I always wear all black. At one gig my clothes matched the uniform of the upscale restaurant way too closely. On break I had a table call me over and ask for drinks. I never forget my hat anymore.

User Info Menu

My dress code has always been "Dress one level higher than your audience". In other words, if your audience is wearing Levi's, tee shirts and tennis shoes, you wear dress pants, a nice shirt and shined shoes.The "Starlighters", my small group, often wears matching black shirts and pants (yes I know it is probably very old fashioned but it fits the kind of music that keeps us working).

wiz

User Info Menu

Guess I'll admit to liking Spyro Gyra and Chris Botti, both of whom are smoothish and poppish. The difference is, they play stuff that sounds more interesting musically than some of the others mentioned, and they don't act pretentious on stage.

User Info Menu

I have been listening to Breezin' and it's a great album! I certainly would not call it jazz, but it's damn good guitar playing, that's for sure. Could this be the Benson album that changes my mind about him??

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FatJeff
    I have been listening to Breezin' and it's a great album! I certainly would not call it jazz, but it's damn good guitar playing, that's for sure. Could this be the Benson album that changes my mind about him??
    You don't dig any of his early stuff?!

User Info Menu

Oh yeah, you have to listen to his early stuff. It's great. I didn''t even know it was him at first.

User Info Menu

I have, and I didn't care for his playing all that much...for similar reasons that I don't really dig Grant Green all that much either. I've posted here before about that (and I'm sure I'll catch shit for it again, but what am I supposed to do about an opinion?). Mostly it's about the picking - it's too much strict alternation that I hear, and it results in a very "picky picky" sound to my ears, which I don't care for.

I'm not trying to debate either player's talent and props to both, but there are other guitarists I would rather listen to.

User Info Menu

I'm not trying to debate either player's talent and props to both, but there are other guitarists I would rather listen to.
    Nothin' wrong with that.

I bought 'Breezin' but never got into it. I know Benson's playing on that record is pretty highly regarded so I'll have to revisit it at some point and see if I can get into it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzpunk
    Nothin' wrong with that.

I bought 'Breezin' but never got into it. I know Benson's playing on that record is pretty highly regarded so I'll have to revisit it at some point and see if I can get into it.
    I'm considering putting "Affirmation" (a Jose Felciano song) from the Breezin' album on my senior recital song list. It's really quite nice.

User Info Menu

I'm considering putting "Affirmation" (a Jose Felciano song) from the Breezin' album on my senior recital song list. It's really quite nice.
    I was discussing Breezin with a friend the other night and he brought up 'Affirmation' as well. Ok, ok...putting it on my iPod and heading to the gym. I'll give it another shot!

User Info Menu

Ooh...breezin' at the gym? Might end up with that treadmill on "leisurely stroll."

Nothing wrong with "breezin'" mind you...now that's some GOOD smooth jazz...just makes me want to drink a blended alcoholic beverage, that's all...

User Info Menu

(and I'm sure I'll catch shit for it again, but what am I supposed to do about an opinion?).
    What are you supposed to do with an opinion? You express it--- which is exactly what you did and politely I must add. Nothing at all wrong with the opinion. It's called preference.

User Info Menu

Smooth jazz for the money. Real jazz for the other players out there. Real jazz is the stuff that only jazz cats can appreciate. If you don't play, you probably won't dig it. I got into playing because I wanted to dig it. Become an active participant instead of a passive onlooker. I say the same to those who come up to me and say they want to appreciate real jazz: first, find an instrument, learn to play it (even if you play it badly at first), listen and listen some more, and the understanding will come in time.

User Info Menu

Affirmation is a good tune, even on the nylon-string. Good changes to play on, nice ending. Civilians like it.