The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 22 of 22

User Info Menu

I'm listening to a lot of Django these days, and was wondering what Roma (Gypsy) musicians may have been his biggest influences? I know very little about this music.

Also, feel free to recommend any favorites Roma musicians Thanks!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I cannot recommend michael dregni's books about django and gypsy jazz highly enough...seek them out, you'll learn a ton of info.

User Info Menu

Seriously simplified (there are likely others here who know far more than I do) Django listened to musettes, 'traditional' Gypsy music and he loved American Jazz. A recent biography says that hearing Louis Armstrong for the first time was a "life-changing" event for Django. It all went in his ears and came out his fingers as something quite new, what we now call "Gypsy Jazz".

On the contemporary front, listen to Stochelo Rosenberg, the lead player of the Rosenberg trio, an awesome place to start. Romane is also wonderful, as is Angelo Debarre ... there are so many. There are also many Gadjo (non-Roma) who play great Gypsy Jazz like Gonzalo Bergera (Argentina), Robin Nolan, Andreas Oberg, John Jorgenson, Neil Andersson of Pearl Django etc.

If this doesn't wake you up, you're dead.
    Rosenbergs in Vienna:

Tchavolo Schmitt and Fapy Lafertin

Angelo DeBarre
    Last edited by AlohaJoe; 07-02-2011 at 04:23 PM.

User Info Menu

You'll want this free download Django Fakebook PDF too:
    http://www.gypsyguitar.de/downloads/...jango_2008.pdf

Thanks for all the recommendations, much appreciated.

User Info Menu

I think one should not underestimate the influence of Eastern-European musical tradition to this style. Listen to historical Klezmer recordings f.e. The same goes for musicians who originated from these countries like Benny Goodmann.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Uli
    I think one should not underestimate the influence of Eastern-European musical tradition to this style. Listen to historical Klezmer recordings f.e. The same goes for musicians who originated from these countries like Benny Goodmann.
    Yes, the ancestors of the Roma people in Western Europe emigrated through the middle East and Eastern Europe. Tony Gatlif's 1994 film Latcho Drom chronicles the musical history of the Roma people and their music from ancient India, through Persia to modern Europe.

The
    is one of a number of short clips from the film available on YouTube.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by essyrock
    Well i think that django has no comparison yet with others. What you guys think am i right???
    Maybe have your own company write your posts using better language?

User Info Menu

Yeah, let's get back to gypsy jazz!

Who likes Boulou and Elios? Man, these guys are my absolute favorites right now...what chances they take!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Yeah, let's get back to gypsy jazz!

Who likes Boulou and Elios? Man, these guys are my absolute favorites right now...what chances they take!
    Ahh, Mr Beaumont, I saw them in Menorca a couple of years back, I was in the front row, Elios was tight and Boulous is the Hendrix of gypsy jazz (ooer, sweeping statement). They played a classical piece, I recognised the tune but for the life of me I do not know the name! But man they took the theme and then pushed it to a swing beat and just flew, wow. I was so hung up on fixing my sight on Boulous fretting hand that I missed their first number so I closed me eyes for most of the gig!
    I don't think they play outside of mainland europe so I guess you'll have to fly over, keep an eye on the Samois festival in France, they play there often.

googling Fapy turned up this
    Home | Gypsy Jazz Academy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzbow
    Boulous is the Hendrix of gypsy jazz (ooer, sweeping statement)

He kinda is though...he's all over the damn place, sometimes a little sloppy, but always searching for something new, never content to just stick with what works...

User Info Menu

Have you seen 'Djangos Legacy'? I have a worn out copy on VHS but it is on DVD.

For your listening pleasure for a lazy Sunday

And the irrepressable Ferres Brothers

cool

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    He kinda is though...he's all over the damn place, sometimes a little sloppy, but always searching for something new, never content to just stick with what works...
    he's as mad as a march hare but gifted!

User Info Menu

I have seen those vids---Fapy's a monster too...He's got such a nice tone...

User Info Menu

Fapy is phenomenal. Lately I've also been enjoying Romane, who I think has a real gift for phrasing. Here is a younger Romane doing a nice version of
    (Mont St. Genevieve).
    Last edited by AlohaJoe; 07-03-2011 at 08:38 PM.

By the way, thanks for all the recommendations. Quality all around :-) I'm currently listening to the Rosenberg Trio, and will try & find more from some of the other artists you mentioned.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hernandinho
    I'm listening to a lot of Django these days, and was wondering what Roma (Gypsy) musicians may have been his biggest influences? I know very little about this music.

Also, feel free to recommend any favorites Roma musicians Thank!
    Django's influences? His father, Jean Weiss, was a bandleader, and Django probably received most of his "training" playing around the campfire. He started on violin, and then moved to 6-string Banjo. The guitar came after the 1928 caravan fire.

He did play in the musettes with two older gypsy musicians, the banjoist Gusti Mahla and the guitarist Jean "Poulette" Castro.

Django had stated disdain for Eddie Lang, indicating that his style was too simple. I hear a lot of classical and Spanish influences in Django, although it would be next to impossible to identify players on the scene in the 1910s and 1920s that Django may have heard. Maybe Tarrega or Sor? Django and Segovia were contemporaries, and Segovia was completely in awe of Django's ability to improvise solo guitar pieces.

In addition to some of the other Roma guitars already mentioned, I particularly enjoy Sarane Ferret, Dorado Schmitt, and Tchan-Tchou Vidal
    Last edited by Tele295; 11-30-2012 at 03:34 PM.

User Info Menu

Dittos for Latcho Drom and Klezmer, also , this Hungarian gypsy album, which my woman loves, Amazon.com: hungarian gypsy music .

i am looking for some of the classy collections of django albums. could i get some more links to look up for it. i would be very thankful to one who provides me the link

User Info Menu

To get back on topic:
    Quote Originally Posted by Hernandinho
    I'm listening to a lot of Django these days, and was wondering what Roma (Gypsy) musicians may have been his biggest influences?
    The importance of Django having been a gypsy is a bit over-rated, not that it is irrelevant. But historically, in most parts of Europe (and flamenco apart), gypsy music in general seems to have been pretty much the same as the popular music of that particular corner of the world, especially the popular music of the poorer classes. In Paris back then, that meant chanson or bal-musette, a mostly accordion-based music, as I say not exclusive to gypsies, but played by them as the poorest of the poor.

These folk know something about this:
    www.hotclub.co.uk • View topic - Gypsy Music before Django

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tele295
    Django and Segovia were contemporaries, and Segovia was completely in awe of Django's ability to improvise solo guitar pieces.
    That's interresting I thought Segovia claimed that he "saved the guitar from the gypsies".

Quote Originally Posted by AlohaJoe
    You'll want this free download Django Fakebook PDF too:
    http://www.gypsyguitar.de/downloads/...jango_2008.pdf

great stuff, i appreciate the backlink you provided here to us i just downloaded this PDF.