The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 67

User Info Menu

Went and listened to Fareed Haque for the first time on youtube. He was on night music. I really liked his stuff! The house band was excellent too.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dennoow
    Btw Greg Howe is probably my all time favourite guitarist.
    Same here.
    "Doesn't matter what you play, matters how do you play it"

I relate fusion to a creative jazz mixing edge. Without sounding too jazzy almost 'classic' but without sounding too rock or too metal. Most of the 'regular shreders' sound far away from fusion in my point of view.
    It's not only about outside notes, rhythm or chords, it's the expression itself.

User Info Menu

While Fusion does get it's name from the fusion of 2 styles, it's still a genre of music. I don't agree that now anything that mixes 2 styles is Fusion.
    It was a natural development of a lot of people getting into the electric guitar because of famous rockers developing knowledge beyond the concept of clasic rock.

Genres serve a purpose, mainly, if I'm buying or searching for new music, I look for styles I enjoy. If we just toss it all in a bin, I'm not gonna find much.
    If I look for fusion, I am obviously not looking into something that combines death metal and flamengo, which would not be something I'd be interested in.

User Info Menu

On the note of Death Metal Flamenco Fusion....

www.myspace.com/impureza

They are quite good, to me at least...

User Info Menu

For me that just doesn't matter. There could be the best swingmetalbopcore in the world, there would still be a big chance that it wouldn't sound like real fusion to my ears. At least for me

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Veqq
    On the note of Death Metal Flamenco Fusion....
    sometimes it seems that the only point is to mix genres as opposite as posible like hip hop/russian folk or that death metal flamenco, anything goes!

Ray C. Guest
    This is pretty funny...

WNYC - Soundcheck: Smackdown: Jazz Fusion (April 07, 2009)

What's funny? Well, Al Dimeola calls into the show (you can skip to the last 10 min of the show, but it's only a 30 min segment) and let's just say he's....a tad pissed off about the shots taken at him and RTF-and he let's critic Howard Mandel know about in very clear terms

User Info Menu

I always love these big philosophical topics that get a little derailed but always work their way back. For a long time I really hated fusion, but I think I'm starting to come around a bit. I remember the violin teacher from when I was in college playing me some Allan Holdsworth and me wishing my ears could vomit. When I watch my Eric Clapton Crossroads Festival DVD I skip the John McClaughlin (sp?) part. At the same time I've liked Stanley Clarke since high school, and after college the guy I studied with got me hooked on Mike Stern, and he's one of my favorite guitarists now. By the way, how come nobody ever mentions him? I've seen a few people timidly admit they're fans, but nothing really for or against him. I think part of it for me now is also that I've had the opportunity to meet him a couple of times, and he's one of the nicest, humblest people I've ever met. I just saw him last weekend with the Yellowjackets, and I liked it a lot (except for the EWI). So maybe that's more fusion I like now, but for some reason I always thought the Yellowjackets were more like Weather Channel music. Hadn't heard much from them before last Friday.

User Info Menu

Little Shoes by Mike Stern is what put me to bed last night, I love that tune. Yellowjackets are very tight don't think they are not, definately worth a listen.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bkdavidson
    I always love these big philosophical topics that get a little derailed but always work their way back. For a long time I really hated fusion, but I think I'm starting to come around a bit. I remember the violin teacher from when I was in college playing me some Allan Holdsworth and me wishing my ears could vomit. When I watch my Eric Clapton Crossroads Festival DVD I skip the John McClaughlin (sp?) part. At the same time I've liked Stanley Clarke since high school, and after college the guy I studied with got me hooked on Mike Stern, and he's one of my favorite guitarists now. By the way, how come nobody ever mentions him? I've seen a few people timidly admit they're fans, but nothing really for or against him. I think part of it for me now is also that I've had the opportunity to meet him a couple of times, and he's one of the nicest, humblest people I've ever met. I just saw him last weekend with the Yellowjackets, and I liked it a lot (except for the EWI). So maybe that's more fusion I like now, but for some reason I always thought the Yellowjackets were more like Weather Channel music. Hadn't heard much from them before last Friday.

I'm a great fan of Mike Stern. He's a fantastic player who sounds like an amazing cross between Jimi Hendrix and Charlie Parker or something when he plays standards. I often listen to "Odd and Ends" and some of the more popular stuff, but I really like his playing on "Standards and other tunes".

I like Scofield too, but I generally have not the slightest idea what he is up to. I can sort of "hear" Mike Stern better and it makes more sense.

User Info Menu

'Standards and Other Tunes' is such a great album. I love his trio stuff, how sparse it can be. For as much as he and the other two can throw down, it's such a great contrast with how little they can play and still have the song come across. About Scofield, are you referring more to his stuff with Medeski, Martin, and Wood or his other stuff? I haven't heard much Scofield except with MM&W.

User Info Menu

Holdsworth, henderson, scofield, metheny, tim miller, mclaughlin, etc.

I love so much those players.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bkdavidson
    'Standards and Other Tunes' is such a great album. I love his trio stuff, how sparse it can be. For as much as he and the other two can throw down, it's such a great contrast with how little they can play and still have the song come across. About Scofield, are you referring more to his stuff with Medeski, Martin, and Wood or his other stuff? I haven't heard much Scofield except with MM&W.
    Just in general. Even his playing on standards, though I thoroughly enjoy it and appreciate the creativity and originality, has just always been something beyond my ability to understand what he's up to. When I was in college, for example, their was a brief period when I wanted to try to sound like Scofield and the Scofield influence was all over Berklee at that time. I could sort of get the phrasing and I got the legato thing going alright for a bit, but in terms of content I was just playing odd intervals and jumping all over the place, playing "outside". It sounded like "another fellow obviously trying to sound like Scofield but not making it." On the other hand, I had a friend who could play so much like Scofield that you wouldn't know the difference. This is probably because he was able to transcribe Scofield lines and actually figure out what the heck he was doing. I just couldn't manage to hear anything, at the time, except "Wow, that was way out there, man. Cool!! I wanna play outside."

User Info Menu

Also, chick corea obviously!!!!!

Without frank gambale!!!!!!!!!!! hahahah

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Judith
    Ok no problem if you don't like combination of jazz and rock you can enjoy your favorite fake or poser jazz,IMO
    Hmm....interesting comment. What do you mean by that now? Are you saying that guitarists should only play rock or fusion and traditional style players are all posers? I often hear people say "Guitar is not a JAZZ instrument." I don't agree. But that's interesting.

User Info Menu

Well... if you listen to George Benson discography, you may find some traditional jazz, some standards he recorded... I wouldn't call a poser to one of the greatest musicians of the history. At least in my point of view.
    Is also that what you think of Joe Pass?
    Scott Henderson has "Dog Party" wich sounds to me as a great blues album, realy bluesy. (I wish to find more like that.) Is he a poser when he isn't playing fusion?

"Guitar is not a JAZZ instrument."
    and what about Wes Montgomery?

I'm with you franco6719.
    People who say that are people who actualy don't have any musical culture. Musical culture is not knowing hundreds of scales. His understanding culture itself. Many jazz is came from a blues influence, and many of the blues players used guitars. It was impossible to not get any guitar player with a major influence in jazz, since they also had that major influence in blues. It really happened over the years... How can someone ignore that?

For instance in rock, I dont see any great piano players. Not like Errol Garner, Chick Corea, Herbie Hancock, etc... Seems natural because rock is mainly focused on overdriven/distorted guitars and drummers that play loud.
    And forgettin the piano, even keyboard players dont apear many times also.

User Info Menu

Carlos, you are a guitarist, thus to you guitar is important. Most people would not say the same for jazz. A lot of music comes from clasical music, but we don't call the clarinet an instrument for rock either do we? Guitar may have influenced jazz, but it is not a major jazz instrument. Though it's grown in popularity a bit, given the choice people would still identify it much sooner with a horn than a guitar.

User Info Menu

Well, I will go enjoy some "poser jazz" now and listen to some good old Django Reinhardt.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rubendiaz
    Hello friends :I would like to share 2 Tracks of my new album Andalusian Flavor .Lorne Lofsky plays here with me I hope you will like it here is the link: Flamenco Guitar Ruben Diaz Official Website I hope you like it..........thanks Att:Ruben Diaz.
    Fantastic. Great ideas and world class presentation. You have definitely got it going on man!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by carlosc
    ?

For instance in rock, I dont see any great piano players. Not like Errol Garner, Chick Corea, Herbie Hancock, etc... Seems natural because rock is mainly focused on overdriven/distorted guitars and drummers that play loud.
    And forgettin the piano, even keyboard players dont apear many times also.
    In general I agree with you but....

Just to mention some older rockers that we may have forgotten, Keith Emerson from ELP, Rick Wakeman from Yes, Edgar Winter plays keyboard as well as sax. I'll leave out Elton even though I think his Goodbye Yellow Brick Road album is a classic. You could say Stevie WOnder if you want to include Pop. (21 songs in the key of life).

And let's not forget about Leon Russel, Jerry Lee Louis and Little Richard.

Jazzarian Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Luan
    Holdsworth, henderson, scofield, metheny, tim miller, mclaughlin, etc.

I love so much those players.
    Henderson and Scofield I personally can't stand. Henderson sounds like Metal Wankery and Scofield is the most souless clueless idiot on the planet. Ever hear his solo from Hancock's rendition of Norwegian Wood?

Holdsworth sounds great on other people's CDs, like Jean Luc Ponty. On his own he gets boring really quickly, like Stanley Jordan.

User Info Menu

Scott Henderson Metal Wankery? hahahahah most people reading this must be rolling on the floor laughin'...

Looks like you never heard some tribal tech albuns, or even Scott's solo albuns like Dog Party wich is a great modern blues album IMAO. One of my favourite albuns, very expressive.

Beside that, looks like you never heard metal. He got some "wierd" tribal tech vids on youtube, provably you just checked out that way and found too much overdrive lolol. He doesn't use metal sound in no way possible lol!!! He can't sound like metal with those experimental sounds and effects he does sometimes! LOL!

Metal Wankery? haha very interesting metal wankery he did with Chick Corea Eletric Band... LOLOL

but, personaly I can't stand some Metheny stuff... is just not my taste.

Jazzarian Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Luan
    Also, chick corea obviously!!!!!

Without frank gambale!!!!!!!!!!! hahahah
    You know, long ago, there was a time when Corea didn't have metal guitar players in his band. Some of us remember the era foundly.

Quote Originally Posted by trtjazz
    Went and listened to Fareed Haque for the first time on youtube. He was on night music. I really liked his stuff! The house band was excellent too.
    Funny, I was thinking about his(old?) band Garaj Mahal as I was reading these posts.Glad someone here knows of him. Love the bass player too.To me that's kinda like the new fusion,and when it's on it's on.
    Best seen live though.

User Info Menu

Hey I think I know where Mr. Beaumont is coming from. Being a tele player that digs hillbilly music and jazz, can tell you there is nothing more important than tone. A lot of the fusion guys mentioned like Henderson use so many effects that it leaves me cold too. Technically they are fantastic but their use of processors kills the tone...and as any jazz guy would tell you, the music has an emotional element connected to it. When I hear an "all electric" jazz band it leaves me uninspired usually because the overall sound has no tone.

80s music does nothing for me because some studio guy set the standard of putting reverb on the drums...which for me killed all drive in the music and left the rhythm section unpronounced. Bad tone.

Ask any drummer why they play real drums and not electric. Tone is king.

If your band has a "keytar" I would probably not pay attention! LOL

The metal guys bore me to death. Scofield is uncharted territory for me, sometimes he's cool, most of the time I dont get it.