The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 53

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JazzFanatik
    Come on Reg, dont forget about that R&B video dnt forget about us brotha! LOL
    +1

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Ok... sorry man... Today's my day off, I have some stuff to run... but I'll post some cool grooves later today... Reg
    I played gig with the church Bros last night... no one read a lick, but yea the ears were happening.
    Last edited by Reg; 06-06-2011 at 10:51 AM.

User Info Menu

OK so I made a few videos of gospel feels, the 1st one is Simple I , IV vamp for feel. The second on is "OH Happy Day" and the third one is "When the Saint's Go Marching... pretty simple but you can get the feel I use and harmonically how I approach.... sorry The 3rd vid won't load... I'll post later... Reg

User Info Menu

Okay cool, thanks dude i know you're super busy, just whenever you can dude would be cool. really respect your playin bro can't wait to learn somethin from you.

later
    JF

User Info Menu

That young feller that plays for Israel Houghton pretty much smokes. I forget his name.

User Info Menu

Reg, i'm still hangin on the edge of my seat for those videos man!!!!!

User Info Menu

Reg, i'm still hangin on the edge of my seat for those videos man!!!!!
    Hey man I'm sorry, what did I say I would record, or give me some direction as to what to cover... Reg

User Info Menu

Just some R&B chord progressions/licks would be cool

User Info Menu

Tim Stewart @ 2:44 or so

Steve Wyreman

Kevin Wilson
    Last edited by shibumi; 06-24-2011 at 06:50 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reg
    OK so I made a few videos of gospel feels, the 1st one is Simple I , IV vamp for feel. The second on is "OH Happy Day" and the third one is "When the Saint's Go Marching... pretty simple but you can get the feel I use and harmonically how I approach.... sorry The 3rd vid won't load... I'll post later... Reg

Uuuum yea...i'm pretty sure I just peed on myself.....Dude your chops are fricken RIDICULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You just gave me like 4 months worth of material to practice....thank you SO SO SO SO much Reg, can't thank you enough bro. Youre a monster dude....

User Info Menu

Uuuum yea...i'm pretty sure I just peed on myself.....Dude your chops are fricken RIDICULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You just gave me like 4 months worth of material to practice....thank you SO SO SO SO much Reg, can't thank you enough bro. Youre a monster dude....
    oooh yeah, me pee pee me too!!!!!!!! all over the place, greasy!!!!! thank you thank you thank you!!!!!

User Info Menu

thanks for this list, i'm familiar with half of these guys & I got to check out some ot the others. great players man. that quartet stuff is a whole other feel/approach/sound i'm trying to wrap my self around.
    -------------------------------------------
    Here are some more names to check out:

Rick Watford
    Jairus Mozee
    Curt Chambers
    Agape Jerry
    Jonanthan Dubose
    John Eley
    Timothy Mole
    Isaiah Sharkey
    Vindell Smith
    Ede Wright
    Chalmers "Spanky" Alford (RIP)
    Mark Strowbridge
    John "Jubu" Smith
    Charlie Bereal
    Jeremy Most

This should get you started, but there are a lot more. Jairus' "Hear & Play" tutorials are worth the money as well.[/QUOTE]

User Info Menu

I know Ede Wright, he is great.

User Info Menu

Eric Krasno/Soulive

Robert Randolph.. lap steel but still

I also enjoy playing in this style

Met Jairus the other day, sounded great and nice dude.

User Info Menu

Sweet! where did you meet Jairus at?

User Info Menu

Sweet! where did you meet Jairus at?
    He sat in at a soul/funk gig in Hollywood that goes on every Monday.. lots of great players frequent that spot.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri
    He sat in at a soul/funk gig in Hollywood that goes on every Monday.. lots of great players frequent that spot.
    oh that's what's up...

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri
    Where at? I'm in the LA area.

User Info Menu

Nice Grooves Reg !

Love to hear " Jazz Guys " playing R&B and more aggressive Rhythmic Styles.
    They never realize how good they sound when they do it...lol.

Benson often does it playing Jazz though...

User Info Menu

Here's Williams M Ervin guitarist for the Mighty Clouds of Joy.

https://www.facebook.com/1672347190/...type=2&theater

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reg
    Oh no ... I finally just checked this thread out... I have to split , have two gigs today and tonight... miles apart... I cover this music a lot, I'll post some of my versions. You will not be able to stay in your seat...
    That's one of the best ,coolest , most uplifting thing to do to and for an Audience -you must have a lot of great smiling Gigs - to use your wide knowledge ...but still kill them with the Grooves.

Would be inspiring to hear you do that with a Rhythm Section..

User Info Menu

More well known guys who don't play mostly Gospel but still play in these styles depending upon which performance are Kirk Fletcher and Eric Gales .

User Info Menu

Here 's a Youtube playlist with lots of gospel guitar playing and players. The only style of music i love more than jazz!

Gospel R&B Guitar - YouTube

User Info Menu

Not sure if they have played in Church but the Styles overlap ( depending on tune ) but some more obvious additions would be

Norman Brown known for ' smooth Jazz' but actually IS a great Guitarist who plays R&B Guitar
    Paul Jackson Jr.
    Kirk Fletcher
    Eric Gales

And then -an absolutely great R&B Guitarist, maybe the best ever - but he is known more for 'Jazz' and rarely plays actual R&B Tunes ...they call him

George Benson ...
    Last edited by Robertkoa; 05-25-2018 at 10:11 AM.

User Info Menu

Thank you all for a great thread with shout-outs to cap rad & Reg!

My humble contribution: Binky Griptite.