The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

read this about J.S. Bach:

the audacity Bach's external life had already begun to demonstrate. His first position in Arnstadt, where he had been hired as organist in August 1703, was marred by a four-month absence in Lübeck to hear the famous organist Dietrich Buxtehude when leave for only four weeks had been granted, and by a rather haughty attitude toward the musicians with whom he was to work.

This unpleasantness culminated when a bassoonist accosted Bach in the street upon having been called a "nanny-goat bassoonist",
    Bach drew his sword, and the two tussled until separated.

Bach's concentration on gaining mastery of the organ during this time meant that his improvised harmonizations of chorales were much more adventurous than those to which the congregation was accustomed:

he was accused of introducing "strange tones" into the congregational singing. He apparently also became carried away in improvising, and went on at great length
    until reproved for this practice, upon which he made his improvisations unsatisfactorily brief.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

reminds me of the story about Sydney Bechet, who shot a guy for playing the wrong chord.

Bechet was jailed [4] in Paris, France, when a female[5] passer-by was wounded during a shoot-out. After serving jail time, Bechet was deported. The most common version of the story, as related in Ken Burns' jazz documentary, reports that the initial shoot-out started when another musician/producer told Bechet that he was playing the wrong chord. Bechet challenged the man to a duel;[4] critics[citation needed] assert, however, that Bechet was essentially ambushed by a rival musician.

Yeah, it's a little known fact that Bach was a jazzer! Have you ever heard the Bach arrangement of "All of Me"?

attached

User Info Menu

It's not that Bach is a jazzer or jazzish, it's that jazzers are actually Bach-ers.

User Info Menu

Of course, the coolest part of this history is dudes used to walk around carrying swords!

User Info Menu

Yeah, nowadays swords are replaced by internet flaming.

User Info Menu

18th Century 1, 21st, 0.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by matt.guitarteacher
    Yeah, it's a little known fact that Bach was a jazzer! Have you ever heard the Bach arrangement of "All of Me"?

attached
    got me.

I love chicken singing.

baccaaaaach.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Of course, the coolest part of this history is dudes used to walk around carrying swords!
    so that was the 18th century version of a

cutting contest.

(groan)

User Info Menu

You be Bethoven, he'll be Mozart, I'll be Bach.--Arnold Schwartzenegger aka the Sperminator.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by markf
    so that was the 18th century version of a

cutting contest.

(groan)
    I could just see this. clop clop clop clop, swish clop clop clop. Bach doing a drive by cutting.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hot ford coupe
    I could just see this. clop clop clop clop, swish clop clop clop. Bach doing a drive by cutting.
    had to read that twice. that is hilarious!!!

you've got some serious vaudeville comedy chops.

as in whose on first.etc.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hed_b94
    It's not that Bach is a jazzer or jazzish, it's that jazzers are actually Bach-ers.
    Lot of truth there.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by markf
    had to read that twice. that is hilarious!!!

you've got some serious vaudeville comedy chops.

as in whose on first.etc.
    Who's on first? I don't know. We're not talking about him, he's on third base. It's in my ethnic background.

User Info Menu

This is pretty funny haha.

In relevance to this thread. You all should listen to The Classical Jazz Quartet - Plays Bach.

An album where they play jazz arrangements of a few Bach compositions. Kenny Barron and Ron Carter are included in this group. Y'all should check it

User Info Menu

My music teacher for 8 years, told me to play Bach before bop. 2 and 3 part inventions for piano and harpsicord is pretty wild.