The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 62

User Info Menu

Pat Metheny play many different flavors of jazz, not just 'smooth jazz' nor straight ahead jazz, he even plays folk and some fusion tracks on many records

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Banksia
    The only label worse than Smooth is "Christian Jazz." They take out all the Satanic notes, like flat 5s, 9s and 13s. When they record anything, they play it backwards to ensure there are no demonic messages encoded in the music.
    Oh my gode!

Please read with French in mind...

User Info Menu

and we remember "smooth jazz" stations are market driven..depending who creates the playlists for them..which must be done by committee..i heard good ole EC the other day..yep slowhand himself..playing his version of "smooth jazz"..his lines were not the usual pentatonic and bends..but had..well..jazz flavor in them..which is ironic in a way..going back to his cream days with the extended solos with bruce & baker..both jazz players..some critics said..thats not rock-its jazz..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by paynow
    Then of course there is this piece of genius:

Pat Metheny on Kenny G
    I didn't Pat had that much anger in him! Great rant. Thanks for posting it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by markerhodes
    I didn't Pat had that much anger in him! Great rant. Thanks for posting it.
    You're quite welcome. That rant has been around for ages; I think the only rant that gets more attention, meaning from the "musicians' rant genre", is the audio of Buddy Rich ripping his band a new a--hole on the back of the bus. I first had that on a cassette; now I think it's on youtube.

User Info Menu

I like that woman smooth jazz singer...what's her name...oh yeah...

Xtina Aguilaria is her name I think.

She's good.

Marina Carrion is another good smoothie.

But I don't like that old fogie jazz like Smilie Davidson or that Jewish guy Izzy Gillspy. That stuff is B-O-R-I-N-G.
    Last edited by Drumbler; 03-07-2011 at 03:41 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by paynow
    Then of course there is this piece of genius:

Pat Metheny on Kenny G
    Kenny G did that to a Louis Armstrong track? Death's too good for him.

(Mind you, What a Wonderful World is pretty cheesy all on its own. But Louis Armstrong is God, he's allowed.)

User Info Menu

I was having a really bad time with my ears a few years back, and the doctor said they had an acute spyrogyra infection, and gave me some antibiotics to get rid of it. I've been fine ever since.
    Last edited by cosmic gumbo; 03-08-2011 at 02:01 AM.

User Info Menu

OK its time to make a confession. Earlier in this thread I was just as quick as the rest to dump smooth jazz into the garbage. But, at risk of damaging my integrity (if I ever had any), I must admit a secret passion for a particular musician's output that others have branded as elevator jazz (aka smoove).

Ladies and gentleman, I give you Allen Hinds:

After stumbling on this video, instead of rushing out to buy a Bogner Alchemist amp, which was what the video was supposed to inspire, I downloaded all 3 of the Hinds' albums available from Amazon UK. Elevator music maybe, but the guy has a gift for writing melodies that most comparable guitarists lack, plus his touch is near perfect. Both aspects more than make up for the occasionally whiff of cheese. I'm not sure its jazz ........even of the smoove variety......... more like jazz inflected blues, but I do find it most entertaining. (.....and again I wish some of his chops would seep into my playing !)

User Info Menu

@ newsense

I dig that video. Talent is talent regardless of genre.

Thanks for posting that

User Info Menu

That dude is insane, such GREAT tone and feel with a mixture of subtle chops.
    Woah

Baltar Hornbeek Guest
    I never understood smooth jazz until I seen in concert. This old radio station here CD101 used to host these big lunch time/rush hour shows in parks around the city. Crowds of fat bottom urban office gals would show up and just plain melt over the music. Man, they would be movin and groovin... like I never done did see.

Sometimes their men would be there, all slicked out in fancy threads. Struttin round, eye ballin the other mans woman.

I couldn't get down with the tunes, but they sure could.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by patskywriter
    until i started visiting this board i had no idea that pat metheny played straight-ahead jazz. i had only heard him on smooth-jazz stations and thought he was just a listless, weak imitation of toninho horta. i still feel that way, at least when it comes to his version of smooth jazz. i have developed such a dislike for him that i have yet to check out the 'real' jazz side of him. the jazz stations here don't play him, so i guess i'm on my own …
    I like how you say you're 'on your own' like you're helplessly scanning your am radio for signs of life lol.

With the advent of the intraweb, it couldn't be easier to research artists these days. No need to rely on the tastes (or lack thereof) of your local dj's to spoon feed music to you.

Check out Metheny's trio recordings before you write him off completely. At the end of the day, you still may not like his playing but at least you'll know what this highly acclaimed musician is all about before dismissing him.
    Last edited by Jazzpunk; 03-08-2011 at 04:58 PM.

User Info Menu

Wimmens dig smoth jazz.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzpunk
    I like how you say you're 'on your own' like you're helplessly scanning your am radio for signs of life lol.

With the advent of the intraweb, it couldn't be easier to research artists these days. No need to rely on the tastes (or lack thereof) of your local dj's to spoon feed music to you.

Check out Metheny's trio recordings before you write him off completely. At the end of the day, you still may not like his playing but at least you'll know what this highly acclaimed musician is all about before dismissing him.
    LOL, thanks for your comments. sometimes when i'm scanning the dial, i do feel like i'm searching for signs of life.

i do appreciate your pointing me toward metheny's trio work. i'll be sure and check it out. i'm looking forward to hearing some nice stuff. i hope he's tasty.

User Info Menu

You're not alone Pat. This album Amazon.com: Trio 99-00: Pat Metheny: Music is one of the two Metheny's I own. (I only bought the other one for a copy of Bright Size life)

User Info Menu

'Question and Answer' is the record that made me a Metheny fan:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by patskywriter
    LOL, thanks for your comments. sometimes when i'm scanning the dial, i do feel like i'm searching for signs of life.
    I hear ya'. If it weren't for online forums and youtube, I wouldn't be aware of many of the players that I dig!

User Info Menu

jazzpunk, thanks for posting those! i enjoyed them.

User Info Menu

No doubt Pat Metheny would be thrilled to know he is being included in a thread about smoth jazz.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbler
    No doubt Pat Metheny would be thrilled to know he is being included in a thread about smooth jazz.

considering the size of the audience that appreciates jazz, any jazz musician should be thrilled to be mentioned at all! especially musicians like toninho horta (the mention of whose name is probably followed by "who?")

User Info Menu

after jazz-rock was advanced by Miles and others (some suggest that his brand would have been better named "funk-jazz")

came R&B inspired jazz (pop influence too). if you want to hear some early huge successes (mid-1970's) that really helped this style get a strong market foothold, then listen to:

1. Breezin' (Benson)
    2. Feels So good (Mangione)

Then - Grover Washington Jr., Crusaders and Joe Sample, Jarreau, etc, etc. even Heavy Weather (by Weather Report).. (Birdland)

I have never thought about this before but one may be able to draw a parallel between Disco's softening of Rock and Smooth Jazz' softening of jazz-rock fusion. you can observe Steely Dan's Gaucho to their previous 3 albums to hear the decreasing level of edgy electric guitar solos and harder edged rock to the softer style. and it continued to the Nightfly. but whatever.

Then it kept going and going.
    Last edited by fumblefingers; 03-09-2011 at 12:02 AM.

User Info Menu

The station here in LA, called The Wave, plays... or played smooth jazz. These days it sounds more like a soft R&B station.

But in the beginning they played a lot of Kenny G, certain Metheny tunes, George Benson and Windham Hill stuff.

What "smooth jazz" means to me is happy major key tonality, slow to mid tempos, and very simple rhythm sections. None of that dark and moody Miles Davis.....

I can't stand major keys myself. Every once in a while, but not every song.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stratocaster
    I can't stand major keys myself.
    Odd for a jazz fan to say, given that so much of the music is in major keys.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzpunk
    Looks like Mr. G has a pretty good sense of humor about how he is perceived:

"Anyone calls me Kenny Z around here, I'll f**k them up! I'll play an E, Eb...they can't touch me after that".

Hilarious!
    Funny. I don't really get what it has to do with Audi, but humorous.

I think if Kenny G were the warden at a prison where I was sentenced to life, and I had to listen to that, I'd have my lawyer ask the judge to send me to the chair.