The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 41

User Info Menu

Last edited by czardas; 02-20-2011 at 06:37 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

This band is is pretty famous.

Please post more
    Last edited by czardas; 02-20-2011 at 09:03 PM.

User Info Menu

Here's one I always enjoy - I think I got it from this board a while back:

User Info Menu

The Swell Season: Glen Hansard (Irish) & Marketa Irglova (Czech).

Nice harmonies, especially ethereal in the middle section. Maybe you saw them in Once?

User Info Menu

This is a great thread idea! Loved the examples so far. I can't post links at the moment, I would YouTube the great Ali Akbar Khan--if you've ever seen the documentary on the life and career of Julian Bream, there's a scene where he's trying to improvise a duet with Khan and Bream remarks how in credible it must be to spontaneously compose music "without paper".

Apparently, there is a form of "sarod picking" applicable to guitar. Unfortunately, it's kind of difficult to play both instruments, as the Sarod kind of requires nails....on the LEFT hand

User Info Menu

Last edited by czardas; 02-24-2011 at 06:35 PM.

Jazzpunk

Thanks, that looks very interesting. The 18 month correspondance made me laugh. I bet that letter confused a lot of people on its journey around the villages before somebody figured it out and decided to respond.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Amina Alaoui - Amours ou trop tard me suis pris. The singing starts just after 1'30

User Info Menu

What a great thread....just found it buried amongst the flamenco stuff....

I love the guitar in zulu jive stuff from the sixties and seventies. I was looking for a track from this group called Isisu Somhambi (Music Which Feeds The Guests) - a great title for a great cut. It's on the compilation Soweto Never Sleeps. If you like these, you should check it out....

User Info Menu

This is my favorite Cuban piano player. This album - Briyumba Palo Congo - is in heavy rotation around my place lately.... also has a great version of Rhapsody In Blue....

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Ali Farka Toure from Mali.....

User Info Menu

Ethioian Blues with the late Mohammed Jimmy Mohammed

User Info Menu

La Comparsa performed by Eliades Ochoa.... couldn't find a clip of the full tune, from the lp 'Sublime Ilusion"

User Info Menu

Joao Gilberto's daughter Bebel Gilberto....

User Info Menu

Somebody stop me!

Bluegrass meets Riverdance.

User Info Menu

It's funny - I grew up and live in the American south, very southern, pretty redneck family. I spent some time in the U.K. and Ireland a few years ago and it's amazing how similar the people look. I'd get off the train in some small town and it would be like looking into the faces of people on Main Street in Tifton, Georgia. Can definitely see the Scotch/Irish/English gene pool in the south.... Have lots of friends in the Tennessee and N. Carolina hills that play bluegrass and it's really just Irish dance music, especially the fiddle stuff. I've been to parties up there where three generations sit on the porch and the old guys teach and everybody plays something.... it's white blues, what I was raised on. Thanks for posting these. Ricky Skaggs can be a little on the hokey side but he screams.....

Some great new posts have been added to this thread. While we're on the topic of American music, here's one of my all time favourite songs. You are probably all familiar with Joni's music.

For a little diversion, can you name the instrument she is playing?
    Last edited by czardas; 03-17-2011 at 06:20 AM.

User Info Menu

czardas-

great post - 'Blue' is one of my 'trapped on a desert island with 10 records' choices....lots of beautiful tunes and she sings like an angel. California is one of favorite tunes to play when I actually find someone that can sing. I'd never heard her play it solo just like this.... pretty tasty.

I won't comment on the instrument since I actually know someone in the N. Georgia hills that makes them....

BTW - you don't want to piss off the Canadians that post here calling this 'American' music - they're pretty proud of her, I think....

User Info Menu

Here's a fellow Georgia boy demonstrating the link between Appalachian music and Irish music..... known for adapting fiddle tunes to the guitar....

Quote Originally Posted by 23skidoo
    BTW - you don't want to piss off the Canadians that post here calling this 'American' music - they're pretty proud of her, I think....
    DOH, how stupid of me. It was the song title that threw me. She's great and I also like the album Blue a lot.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by czardas
    DOH, how stupid of me. It was the song title that threw me. She's great and I also like the album Blue a lot.
    no offense intended - meant it lighthearted.... should have put one of those little smilies next to it....

little more grass.....