The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 41 of 41

User Info Menu

Well - it is St Patrick's day ...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The rosenberg trio - great latin groove...

Last edited by czardas; 03-23-2011 at 04:24 PM.

It wouldn't hurt to post a bit of Jazz here. This is one of my favourites, though I guess most of you are probably already familiar with it (it's crazy stuff):

Be sure to listen to both parts at the same time. It's much like reading the theory forum.
    Last edited by czardas; 03-23-2011 at 04:24 PM.

Back on topic: Some cool Eskimo stuff.

User Info Menu

Brazilian artist Seu Jorge..... heard about him when he did a series of David Bowie covers for the film "The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou", they even issued a disc. Really great stuff, nice voice and playing, heard a few of his original lp's as well....

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

monk -

I love east TN, spend lots of time in the Smokies, my wife graduated from UTK, lots of friends in Knoxvegas....

Like the Portuguese guitar - not something I was familiar with.... reminds me of the Cuban laud, twelve strings, same kind of sound.....

I've got two lp's by Barbarito Torres and he's pretty good......

John -

About Keith Richards and the still ..... saw a comedian commenting on the irony of Richards doing a "Just Say No" PSA - comic said "We CAN'T do any drugs, Keith - you've already done them all. We have to wait until you die so we can smoke your ashes...."

User Info Menu

Monk-

I know what you mean about his right hand..... started getting serious about playing lead/ solo bluegrass in the last year, it's what led me to jazz on the guitar and this forum.... one of my big inspirations is Norman Blake's effortless playing. Working through all the tunes on 'Whiskey Before Breakfast' is an education..... all those open positions seem a little easier after hammering some of the more colorful jazz voicings, though.... enjoying learning more about both styles...

Like a lot of people, I think, my first exposure to good Cuban music was through Ry Cooder and the Buena Vista Social Club records. That's where I heard about Barbarito Torres and Galban was on several of those albums also. I really dig that Ry Cooder disc with the old car fin on the cover. Have you ever heard Los Zafiros? He played with them for years - I stumbled across a greatest hits reissue in a Starbucks of all places a few years ago and it's just a great record of Cuban pop from the 60's.

User Info Menu

I love the Buena Vista Social Club. I have the DVD as well as CDs by several of the artists. Ibrihim Ferrer was an amazing singer. Did you ever hear Omara Portuondo's solo album where she sang The Man I Love in Spanish? Gorgeous! And Ruben Gonzalez's piano playing was wonderful.

I only heard of Los Zafiros after the Cooder-Galban CD came out and the only cuts I've heard are on YouTube like the one you posted.

I read that the U.S. Government prosecuted Ry Cooder and fined him $25,000 for breaking the embargo.

Thanks for the clip,
    monk

User Info Menu

Themis- nice posts, interesting stuff..... I've always liked Greek music. Here in Atlanta, we have a big Greek community and there is a beautiful modern Greek Orthodox cathedral. Every autumn they host a large 2-3 day festival with great food, music, dancing and cultural events. I don't go every year, but I've been many times, since I was a kid. Had several friends in school who were Greek and we always had a lot of fun.

They always have good music, very traditional for the dancing, but great musicians. Here's a clip of one of the local groups....

Haven't been in several years..... my kids are just old enough to enjoy, have to take them this fall....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 23skidoo
    Themis- nice posts, interesting stuff..... I've always liked Greek music. Here in Atlanta, we have a big Greek community and there is a beautiful modern Greek Orthodox cathedral. Every autumn they host a large 2-3 day festival with great food, music, dancing and cultural events. I don't go every year, but I've been many times, since I was a kid. Had several friends in school who were Greek and we always had a lot of fun.

They always have good music, very traditional for the dancing, but great musicians. Here's a clip of one of the local groups....

Haven't been in several years..... my kids are just old enough to enjoy, have to take them this fall....

Glad you enjoyed the music and thanks for the link-yep, us Greeks know how to party, eh?...

Since you enjoy Greek music, here's a couple more traditional bouzouki clips by my favourite contemporary player...kind of like the Greek Delta Blues (it's called Rebetiko)....it's all about improvisation and mood...

Enjoy

User Info Menu

Well, you got me started now...so here's some Middle Eastern and Arabic Stuff

The master of Oud Munir Bashir from Iraq

and the great Armenian oud player Haig Yazdjian

and my favourite clarinet player from Epirus, Greece, Petros Loukas Chalkias

User Info Menu

Here's a few vids you don't see every day. The first is eastern European Jewish Klezmer music. Note the influence in jazz.

Here are some more from different areas of the world.

and this one I couldn't resist.

User Info Menu

Just got a ukulele. It's fun, but I'm almost not sure what to make of this....

User Info Menu

it's a little repetitive and drags on longer than it should, but you've got to applaud the effort....