The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 35 of 35

User Info Menu

its all good, we get pretty tangentical around here, but we always keep it respectful. respectful exchange of ideas always leaves everyone better off even if it merely serves to clarify people's intent. lol I think we take a 'liberal view' around here. atleast we kept it germane to the Beatles

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Eyed Junko
    I suspect we're getting far away from "jazz guitar", though, so I'll just leave things at that.

I don't think so, for much of jazz is firmly rooted in popular song -- and popular song is important to so many of us.

It would be an interesting experiment to develop a chord-melody set or two with only tunes written in the "rock/pop" era, say mid 50s to the present. I know that a big chunk of my material is from the 20s-40s with just a nod to other eras. I do so many Gershwin tunes that I could almost start a Gershwin tribute band.

Thread forthcoming!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JohnRoss
    Someone has to be a dissident, here, so - I'm not a Beatles fan myself, never have been, I find them far too contrived. The early Beatles stuff works, of course, but mainly when it's straight-down-the-line rock 'n' roll, I really can't bear the rest of it. It's McCartney, not Lennon. Even my eighty-something-year-old mother, once a very passable classical pianist but who has never expressed the slightest interest in pop (except to say what an awful din it all is, of course), recently told me that she had always preferred John Lennon.

I don't think, and I don't think, anyone has slipped into the 'Beatlesmania' I agree totally the Beatles aren't revolutionary in a musical sense...in a music business sense, they are of course, the first international boy band, a business model that is still in use today(ie Justin Bieber). But they did write some decent tunes with good melodies. In their later years, I credit them as they did attempt some more advanced (for pop music) harmonic concepts(the beach boys they weren't). I could easily mention a lot of groups that this follows the Beatles are just a common landmark. Hell I'm working on a jazzed up version of 'Black Hole Sun' That melody is haunting, I just sit back sometimes and think what Django would have done with it.

User Info Menu

George Benson did a record back in the day called "The Other Side of Abbey Road" Very cool. He's an example...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tstrahle
    George Benson did a record back in the day called "The Other Side of Abbey Road" Very cool. He's an example...

Old thread, but have to jump in and say, I love that GB album!

I believe that's a Guild under his arm.

User Info Menu

"And I Love Her" -great melody.

User Info Menu

There is a documentary out I saw on PBS where Sir George Martin talks about his career and time with the Beatles. Fascinating stuff. It's was a bit of a miracle that the Beatles even ended up with George as their producer. At EMI, he'd had success primarily with comedy albums up to that point. Martin wasn't that impressed with the Beatle's songwriting but he admired there wit.

User Info Menu

Check out Larry Coryell's recording of "She's Leaving Home" from a transcription done by Leo Brouwer. I think there may be a live you tube of it somewhere.

User Info Menu

Hi Tom
    very well said, in fact you had to be there, they shook
    up the establishment. unfortunately it led to a number
    of Jazz" casualties". I remember Jimmy Raney said that
    no one wanted his kind of Music anymore ,packed his bags
    and went home. The Beatles were fabulous ,but there is
    room for all kinds of music, we learn from one another.

kind regards

Silverfoxx

User Info Menu

"Chet Atkins Picks on the Beatles"

....really glad you mentioned that LP. It featured a photo of Chet wearing a Beatles wig, and George Harrison wrote the very appreciative liner notes !!
    The LP is as much a showcase of great melodies as well as how a great player interprets them.