The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
Posts 251 to 275 of 307

User Info Menu

Funk playing is the most fun on bass imho!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fz2016
    Joe Dart might agree with you.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

RIP, Brother James!

Play live . . Marinero

User Info Menu

A modern take on funk:

User Info Menu

And these girls and guys funkify like every song in pop history:

User Info Menu

Hi,

Erykah Badu - Annie don't wear no panties

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by balthazar
    Hi,

Erykah Badu - Annie don't wear no panties

Hi, B,
    Erykah makes my Funk list. Great voice and attitude. Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Always loved this track w/ Erykah, Qtip and Roy Hargrove

User Info Menu

Hello,

The Bar-Kays - Son of Shaft
    Live at Wattstax

Quote Originally Posted by Fz2016
    Larry Grahm and Rocco Prestia!!!

Check out Dirty loops Cain Daniel Medley Forever Young from Berklee students for Outstanding New Talent!!!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I've been working on my funk rhythm chops. Fun stuff---gotta keep a loose wrist.

Recently stumbled across this guy, Cory Wong. Killer rhythm chops. A "smooth" tune and then a killer right-hand demo

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    I've been working on my funk rhythm chops. Fun stuff---gotta keep a loose wrist.

Recently stumbled across this guy, Cory Wong. Killer rhythm chops. A "smooth" tune and then a killer right-hand demo

Hi, M,
    You always provide great food for thought and conversation. So, Funk is a feel. Period. R@B is a feel. Period. Jazz is a feel. Period. I think you see I like to use periods. . . however, only so much can be taught. The rest is in what people used to call "Soul" as executed by your chops. I'm a firm believer in Soul in all forms of music. Rubenstein had it in Classical. Dexter in Jazz. Brother James in Funk/Soul. Al Green in R&B. Stevie Ray Vaughan in R&R. Willie Nelson in C@W. I really don't know that it can be taught. You have it or you don't! Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    Hi, M,
    You always provide great food for thought and conversation. So, Funk is a feel. Period. R@B is a feel. Period. Jazz is a feel. Period. I think you see I like to use periods. . . however, only so much can be taught. The rest is in what people used to call "Soul" as executed by your chops. I'm a firm believer in Soul in all forms of music. Rubenstein had it in Classical. Dexter in Jazz. Brother James in Funk/Soul. Al Green in R&B. Stevie Ray Vaughan in R&R. Willie Nelson in C@W. I really don't know that it can be taught. You have it or you don't! Play live . . . Marinero
    I agree that feel is crucial. Herb Ellis talked about that too (and rhythm) as being the most important thing, really. But as you say, it's hard to teach. Though it can be developed----not everyone who ends up playing well professionally started out with good time.

And from the other perspective, I have read that piano players who often perform solo tend to become a little too loose with their timing. (May happen to guitarists too.)

User Info Menu

Brazilian Afrobeat

User Info Menu

A big part of funk is the feel. As James Brown said, “Gimme THE ONE”.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zcostilla

"...I thought i was killin' it!...."

Been there!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zcostilla

Hi, Z,
    Good video. JB was a natural musician ,although, he really didn't play an instrument seriously(piano/organ) and I'm certain he couldn't read music. However, his rhythm, timing, phrasing, and ear were second to none. His horn section, the JB's, were the tightest sound in Funk/Soul/R@B under his relentless whip as many former players can attest and he never tolerated bad musicianship for a moment although he was notoriously a cheap employer. We did a JB medley for years in the Jazz/Rock big bands I led. I always hired Classical guys on trumpet and bone because they could read well but, strangely, they often struggled with the syncopation ,especially, if the bass and drummer were playing off beat for effect. Two classic examples of this were: The Big Payback(playing on the beat) and Got the Feeling(heavily syncopated horns). RIP brother James! You were the best!
    Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Hi,

King Britt - When The Funk Hits The Fan

User Info Menu

Oh, boy . . here I go again . . . gotta have them horns . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    Oh, boy . . here I go again . . . gotta have them horns . . . Marinero

Still got the original 7" of this - I've worked with a lot of horn sections but none as cool as this

User Info Menu

Hi,

Maceo & The Macks - Cross The Track (We Better Go Back)

User Info Menu

Apologies if this has already been posted: