Posts 26 to 50 of 307

User Info Menu

I wonder if Ruben Diaz can play the funk

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The chicken is the root of all funk.

User Info Menu

A little Chicken for you strat guys!

...looking forward to seeing Maceo in a couple of weeks however for my money I would probably pick Carl Denson's tiny universe (at least for an all nite dance funk party)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Metal Fingers
    ...looking forward to seeing Maceo in a couple of weeks however for my money I would probably pick Carl Denson's tiny universe (at least for an all nite dance funk party)
    I just picked up the 'My Name is Maceo' film. So good!

My only complaint is that they cut to interviews during some of the performances. Hopefully there is an option to just view the concert footage in it's entirety but I can't figure it out.

Denson sat in with Soulive when they came through town in December. Man, they got down!
    Last edited by Jazzpunk; 01-24-2011 at 08:41 PM.

Baltar Hornbeek Guest
    Maeco played that "shake everything you got" thing last week in Brooklyn....was off the hook!
    Last edited by Baltar Hornbeek; 01-25-2011 at 01:08 PM.

User Info Menu

Wow .... how did I miss this thread...This is what I do over half my gigs... I live in the pocket. Before we bring up the singeras we make sure no one is in their seat, usually with Sanborn, Herbie or what I dig are R&B tunes with a jazz/funk groove out of control but always in the pocket... I know how to play my part... and when I solo ...it's nothing but octaves singin those groove lines... a little shred here and there just to let audience know this is as live as it gets... The only bitch is most of those gigs are 4 hours and late...
    Hey Balta... you dig Tower... i know they get a little vanilla some times but they get away with playing so much and never lose the feel, I hang with some of the guys, Tom Politzer the current tenor sax is great jazz player... we play golf more than music. The previous tenor player, Norbert Stachel is also great friend... also great player, and a little off the charts... we been in different bands together, he hangs in NY... here's a sample of him somewhere...
    ... Hey keep this thread under... I'll start posting... Reg

User Info Menu

Here's a nice funky number by Soco!

Baltar Hornbeek Guest
    Yo Soco! right on man!

Here's some brooklyn funk, Mokaad...they call him the white james brown.

Baltar Hornbeek Guest
    Whoa, 1972. That's going way back. I missed nearly all the funk back then. The closest I got was maybe some like in the attached vid. Check out Anderson beating son clave on cow bell and Squire always brings the funk.

Last edited by Baltar Hornbeek; 01-26-2011 at 02:35 PM.

User Info Menu

+1 for Chris Squire as funkiest Prog Rock bassist !

Baltar - this clip belongs in the "Official Prog Rockers who became Jazzers" thread. Don't look for it, as I haven't started it yet, but if I did the list would start with Steve Howe & Bill Bruford (both ex Yes) followed by ......?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by newsense
    +1 for Chris Squire as funkiest Prog Rock bassist !

Baltar - this clip belongs in the "Official Prog Rockers who became Jazzers" thread. Don't look for it, as I haven't started it yet, but if I did the list would start with Steve Howe & Bill Bruford (both ex Yes) followed by ......?
    Sad news for you newsense.... Bill Bruford was, "effectively forced out of music a couple of years ago by a debilitating anxiety about my perceived performance inadequacies, as surprising as it was unwelcome." I took this from a letter he wrote to the UK Musicians Union quarterly journal. He goes on, "I retired at 60 after 41 years, but my last few years were indeed difficult as I slowly fell out of love with music-making to the point of being unwilling to play publicly."

That's what listening to Jon Anderson does for you

Apparently he's fully fit physically and seeks no remedies for the situation but has "long since come to terms with what befell me, even if I don't fully understand it."

User Info Menu

Very cool...great feel, both guys... would dig playing with them.... years ago I played a few gigs with Randy Jackson and Steve Smith, and Tom Coster was on keyboards... those cays could play, anyway here's a little groove thing... not much, But you can start to feel where I come from. I have all jazz gigs for week , but I'll video something from next R&B/funk gig...Reg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reg
    Very cool...great feel, both guys... would dig playing with them.... years ago I played a few gigs with Randy Jackson and Steve Smith, and Tom Coster was on keyboards... those cays could play, anyway here's a little groove thing... not much, But you can start to feel where I come from. I have all jazz gigs for week , but I'll video something from next R&B/funk gig...Reg

Awesome!

User Info Menu

Smokin' Reg, Just smokin.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Wow... do you really remember that tune. I remember playing that tune in battle of the bands when I was in school, 60's. The funny thing is I played it at a gig a couple of weeks ago and man we were gettin funky... Reg
    Last edited by Reg; 02-01-2011 at 12:30 PM.

User Info Menu

When James Jamerson was asked why he had never, ever, changed the dirty old strings on his Precision, he replied, "the funk is in the dirt".

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by max chill
    When James Jamerson was asked why he had never, ever, changed the dirty old strings on his Precision, he replied, "the funk is in the dirt".

Jamerson is the definition of Funk!!!!

Hearing those lines are just so sweet. There's a Jackson 5 track he did the bass line is almost like a solo different lines constantly thru the song. I think it was Darling Dear.

Then he played all that with only using one-finger on his picking hand. Then his classic bass line from What's Goin On that most bass players still can't play right. They had been working all day, he was tired, pissed off, and drunk and laying in the floor when he recorded it. The Funk Brother would record all day for $25 a tune, play a club gig at night, then go back to Motown to record more. So much great music.

Thank you Funk Brothers your music is a Masters Class in rhythm section playing.
    Last edited by docbop; 02-02-2011 at 12:29 AM.

User Info Menu

From a recent funk gig!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Soco
    From a recent funk gig!
    Yowza, that solo was smokin'!

User Info Menu

very nice.

speaking as an oldtimer, do you think a little feedback might sound good in there somewhere?

I do

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by markf
    very nice.

speaking as an oldtimer, do you think a little feedback might sound good in there somewhere?

I do
    Thanks, you mean musical feedback Hendrix style?
    It might work, but I am not sure that I was playing loud enough for it. Also it is a pretty upbeat tune, with a relatively short solo.. I'll look into it though!

User Info Menu

Here is another clip from the same gig. The singer Shayna Steele is really awesome:

User Info Menu

hanks, you mean musical feedback Hendrix style?
    yes, but, sorry you don't need suggestions from me. I just like feedback, and you don't hear it much.

great playing.