The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
Posts 276 to 300 of 307

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    Apologies if this has already been posted:

Hi, C,
    For two years, we opened our second show with this song. However, we had two trumpets, bone, and tenor sax in our horn section and there were few roofs that could take that sort of punishment.
    Marinero

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Oh boy, reminds me of some troubling sounds

User Info Menu

tjeepeecheeeew

User Info Menu

Last night at the Keswick Theater in Glenside PA.....

The official funk-thread-on_stage_600-jpg

The official funk-thread-cortez_600-jpg

Jerry Cortez was fresh out of the cardiology suite after having a heart attack on stage a week ago. He was apparently stented as an emergency and is doing very well. What better way is there to recover from life threatening illness than to funkifize?

He was stellar (as was the rest of the band, of course). We were in the front row of fixed theater seats (they put folding chairs in the pit, but there were none in front of us). So we could see the band very well, but I couldn't see his amplifier. I know he used to use Maxon pedals through a Twin, but I couldn't find any info on his current gear on line. Does anybody know what amplification he's using now? He had a Tele, a Strat, and what appeared to be a 335 on stage with him - and he sounded great!

User Info Menu

This band is ridiculous. Worth watching the whole damn thing, but the vamp at the end of the first song—if you're into funk—will make you put on your mama's pants and pee yourself.

User Info Menu

^^^

That is ridiculously awesome.
    Last edited by CarlD; 03-30-2022 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Emojis didn’t show up.

User Info Menu

Funk them horns and dance!!
    Marinero

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    This band is ridiculous. Worth watching the whole damn thing, but the vamp at the end of the first song—if you're into funk—will make you put on your mama's pants and pee yourself.

this is brilliant! Recorded in Holland btw!

User Info Menu

Hi,

Silk Sonic (Bruno Mars & Anderson .Paak) - Fly As Me

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Here's Johnnie Taylor's 1976 classic 'Disco Lady" that we played in every show for several years. Listen to the horn section which typifies the sound of this great period in popular "Soul/R@B" music. Anyone wanna dance!!!
    Marinero

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    Here's Johnnie Taylor's 1976 classic 'Disco Lady" that we played in every show for several years. Listen to the horn section which typifies the sound of this great period in popular "Soul/R@B" music. Anyone wanna dance!!!
    Marinero

Thanks for Posting this Marinero. I was 22 in 76 and now for the rest of the day I can make the mental journey back, I loved that song and the times. Sure wish I could live through some of it again.
    Ralphy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ralphy
    Thanks for Posting this Marinero. I was 22 in 76 and now for the rest of the day I can make the mental journey back, I loved that song and the times. Sure wish I could live through some of it again.
    Ralphy
    Me, too, R! Those were some of the most exciting times in my life. Thanks for your reply.
    Marinero

User Info Menu

I've been listening, lately, to the great Johnny Taylor--a genuine R@B Allstar that brought genuine human emotion to his stellar performances. We did many of his songs in the numerous R@B bands I played in for in the 70's. Here's another Johnny classic . . . I hope you enjoy. RIP brother!
    Marinero

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    I've been listening, lately, to the great Johnny Taylor--a genuine R@B Allstar that brought genuine human emotion to his stellar performances. We did many of his songs in the numerous R@B bands I played in for in the 70's. Here's another Johnny classic . . . I hope you enjoy. RIP brother!
    Indeed - he asked the big question…..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    Indeed - he asked the big question…..

Hi, N,
    It was the million-dollar question in the 60's/70's!
    Marinero

User Info Menu

Oh, boy . . . I can't seem to get Johnny Taylor's music out of my head this week. Here's another JT classic . . . I hope you enjoy.
    Marinero

User Info Menu

Sit back, brother . . . tip that empty glass to the waitress . . . grab that pretty lady at your side and listen to Aaron Neville with some tasty alto licks by David Sandborn. Nothing better to end the night . . .
    Marinero

User Info Menu

Enjoy!
    Marinero

User Info Menu

It's George Clinton's birthday today. Funk it up today for the Grandmaster.

A little more vintage...

User Info Menu

Funny, I was going to post here. Just heard these guys at Morty Jazz:

Not really my cup of tea after a *great* set by a "hot club de France" style ensemble (1 petite bouche, 2 grande bouche guitars, violin, double bass and a surprise participation by a trumpet player).

User Info Menu

Prince killin it in 1977

User Info Menu

Doesn't get much better than this . . .
    Marinero

User Info Menu

The Wicked Pickett!

User Info Menu

Used to play in a band that supported Fishbone on their 2000 German tour. Here’s their cover of “Shakey Ground” from the album they were promoting at that time.

Last edited by Bop Head; 09-01-2022 at 12:15 PM.