The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 63 of 63

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

This whole worry about playing "right" for a style... I understand some degree of respect toward authenticity, but also creativity. The Blues Police get annoyed when someone mixes BB King licks and T-Bone Walker licks in the same song. The Jazz Snobs do similarly, maybe less so, more politely.

It could be much worse; according to Wiki, there are currently almost five dozen distinct named types of Heavy Metal genres (with cute names!).

User Info Menu

I come at that two ways, I guess.

Ideally, I'd always get to be "me." But certain gigs aren't about me. If someone hires me for a certain sound, it's my job to supply it. It's just important to know what''s what.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Thumpalumpacus
    Sounds like a bad case of the blues, there, bud.

Maybe use it to practice repairs?
    Yeah but will it cost a bunch of money or is that mostly labor costs for time paying a luthier? The materials to fix it will probably be much more reasonable than paying a luthier I guess!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

So who's everybody's favorite bluesman at least right now? Currently I'm listening to T-bone, Guitar Slim, Lightning Hopkins, Clarence Gatemouth brown, and Johnny Guitar Watson.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FZ2017
    Yeah but will it cost a bunch of money or is that mostly labor costs for time paying a luthier? The materials to fix it will probably be much more reasonable than paying a luthier I guess!

... and the experience you gain, priceless, perhaps ...

User Info Menu

Blues is about call and response. Jazz is about speaking until you are blue in the face and listening until your ears bleed. The notes are the same, however. My 2 cents.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Thumpalumpacus
    I think he's great, very blues but informed by a nice harmonic sensibility that goes beyond I7-IV7-V7. Definitely on the blues side of the continuum, but full of sweet and sour.
    He grew up in Texas and went to the same church every Sunday with Blind Lemon Jefferson. When he moved to LA he played with Fats Waller and Louis Armstrong!

User Info Menu

How come the church my parents dragged me to didn't have legendary bluesman?! What a rip!

User Info Menu

What I don't understand is the whole vibrato thing! If a horn player shakes a note (plays vibrato) it's all good. Meaning it's still considered jazz! But if a guitar player bends or shakes a note ala bb king it's not jazz anymore! It's considered blues. Any thoughts?

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Necro maybe, but I cant help asking myself in the context of this thread ...."Is Stormy Monday blues? jazz? both?"
    I vote "both"

User Info Menu

In Kansas City Lightning, Stanley Crouch records Biddy Fleet’s recollection of Charlie Parker’s early experiments with what became bebop. Fleet says Cherokee “was purposely shunned by most of the musicians because of the bridge,” so: “You can use those hard tunes to get rid of the guys who can only play the blues all night. They can’t mess with that stuff, and then you can keep right along working on what you want to get deeper into.”