The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 25 of 25

User Info Menu

Hi there

I was wondering if there was any other multi instrumentalists on this forum?

My name's Jesse, I've been playing guitar for around 6 years. But along the way I picked up bass to play in my friend's rock band. That was around 2 years ago.

About 5 months ago I got a used drum set, and started playing in another band on that.

Then just this year, I got myself an old electric organ.

And now this week I somehow got this old accordion!

I play jazz guitar first and foremost, practicing 1-2 hours a day. I usually just pick up the bass for fun, I don't practice seriously on it. Same thing with the drums.

I've been trying to teach myself to play the organ, I just play it like a piano, playing jazz standards. Because it's required to get your bachelor's degree, something I plan on pursuing.

What are your thoughts on playing multiple instruments?

I really like playing so many instruments, but I guess it means I spend less time on guitar.

Finding time to do everything is difficult! hahah

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Champy
    Hi there

My name's Jesse, I've been playing guitar for around 6 years. But along the way I picked up bass to play in my friend's rock band. That was around 2 years ago.

About 5 months ago I got a used drum set, and started playing in another band on that.

Then just this year, I got myself an old electric organ.

And now this week I somehow got this old accordion!

I play jazz guitar first and foremost, practicing 1-2 hours a day. I usually just pick up the bass for fun, I don't practice seriously on it. Same thing with the drums.

I've been trying to teach myself to play the organ, I just play it like a piano, playing jazz standards. Because it's required to get your bachelor's degree, something I plan on pursuing.

I really like playing so many instruments, but I guess it means I spend less time on guitar.

I'd prefer to play one instrument really well. I think it's necessary to know some piano if you play jazz, the layout of it, chords, etc., for composition and theory purposes.

User Info Menu

I was proficient in a number of instruments....Sax, Upright Bass, Voice, Mandolin, a number of Percussion instruments, Piano to some degree.

I don't play much of it anymore, though. Usually just guitar and piano.

User Info Menu

Hey Champy... I can play almost any instrument, but as stated to keep up your chops... not many are able. I guess it would depend on what you want to do with music... Most musicians have trouble becoming proficient on one instrument, let alone many. Years ago when I composed music for a living I tried to keep up my chops on different instruments so when I scored music I could actually understand how the parts would play... then realizes let the musicians worry about it. If you plan to teach, it's useful to be able to play all the instruments, at least read on them. I taught at the college level and it was useful when relating to students. But if you want to play jazz... at least more than at home or at local club every so often, you need to get all your skills together... and doesn't really matter how much talent you have... you need an incredible amount of motivation and even more organized time on your instrument. But I know and gig with plenty of non-professional musicians who get great enjoyment from music. So as usual, you need to go through the process for yourself and make your own decision. Hope information was helpful... Best Reg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Champy
    Hi there

My primary is Electric bass and more recently acoustic bass, but I double on Guitar, Banjo, Uke, Keys, and Accordion, I also played Sax from 5th grade through College in the classical wind ensemble.

Every other instrument I practice makes me a better bass player, and a better communicator, composer, and above all, teacher. I waited to pick up anything but the basses until I felt like my bass chops were at a high enough level that I could practice other techniques but...

The classical guitar improved my fingerpicking which improved my bass playing, having 6 strings (i tuned in fourths for the first year or so) Allowed me to work out upper extension shapes on the guitar which then transfered right to bass.

The piano practice has helped mostly with reading 2 staffs at once, but also, an unintended side effect was that my tapping has gotten a lot more fluent and easier since adding the keys to my practice routine.

And... I have also gotten more gigs, mostly guitar gigs, but I've done studio sessions on banjo as well. In fact a few weeks ago I got hired to do bass, guitar, banjo, uke, and backup vocals on the same record. The artist was quite pleased that he only had to hire one musician.

I think more instruments can only help your overall musicianship, however if you dream is monster guitar chops, practicing piano is probably not the quickest way to get there.

User Info Menu

I play bass often, and dabble with mandolin.

User Info Menu

Playing guitar really got in the way of mastering the tuba, so now I'm just a hack on both.

User Info Menu

I'm a full-time professional woodwind doubler playing in theatre. I play all of the members of the flute, clarinet, oboe, saxophone, bassoon and recorder families, along with some assorted whistles and panpipes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reg
    Hey Champy... I can play almost any instrument, but as stated to keep up your chops... not many are able. I guess it would depend on what you want to do with music... Most musicians have trouble becoming proficient on one instrument, let alone many. Years ago when I composed music for a living I tried to keep up my chops on different instruments so when I scored music I could actually understand how the parts would play... then realizes let the musicians worry about it. If you plan to teach, it's useful to be able to play all the instruments, at least read on them. I taught at the college level and it was useful when relating to students. But if you want to play jazz... at least more than at home or at local club every so often, you need to get all your skills together... and doesn't really matter how much talent you have... you need an incredible amount of motivation and even more organized time on your instrument. But I know and gig with plenty of non-professional musicians who get great enjoyment from music. So as usual, you need to go through the process for yourself and make your own decision. Hope information was helpful... Best Reg
    Thanks Reg, that was helpful. And thanks to everyone else for you responses.

My main instrument is guitar, but I also play mando, fiddle, keys, lap steel, & banjo.

I've found exploring other instruments helps me with guitar. Also, you don't have to be a maestro on every instrument to add some cool sounds to a recording or band. Knowing music well allows you to pick some simple parts that create some really nice musical textures.

User Info Menu

I had an old mandolin and a "banjoline" but I lost them in an incident. But I used to tune them to guitar tunings.

User Info Menu

Hi

You sound a bit like me. I started out on guitar (mostly folk, rock and country) and so play electric, acoustic, nylon and 12 string. Also play bass, piano and spent the last couple of years learning drums on a cheap kit given me by a friend. And I sing (sort of). I've always thought of myself primarily as a songwriter and so didn't need to have spectacular chops on any of the secondary instruments. I like to record demos on my Mac (which is a whole other learning curve)

But the thing is, trying to keep up with all those instruments is difficult. There's a definite ceiling you reach where, without some serious commitment and practice, you're just not going to get better. That's what I found, anyways.

Also, there is always a transition period when you pick up a different instrument. It's like driving a different car, particularly with the different types of guitar - every thing's in the same place; but it feels different.

That's why I decided to ditch everything except one guitar (archtop) and bass about a year ago. When I do demos now I just use drum software; and if it needs a keyboard part I just keep it simple. This has payed dividends as I am now much better at the guitar. I might even start thinking of myself as a songwriter and guitar player!

Having said that, it's all good fun. Now where did I put that saxophone catalogue???

User Info Menu

I play very badly almost 10 instruments.

User Info Menu

I picked up a violin and been practicing it for 2 months! Love it, but have no ambitions and keep it real.

Mostly I need to have a working knowledge of many instruments to be able to explain stuff to kids in rock bands im teaching. Drums, keys, bass... I can handle it for a rock/pop band, I suppose....

My lastest acquisition is pocket trumpet. I really wanna get into trumpet a lot. I was studying it when I was in college, but gave up because my lips couldn't hold it more than 10 min when playing high notes. This time around im gonna stick to it though!

User Info Menu

I only play the guitar now but in the past played the alto sax, pedal steel, piano and ukulele. I've only gigged on the guitar and alto though.

User Info Menu

Bass as a "hobby" playing. I thing "guitar" is so large field that I'd rather stay within.

You can think rock and blues guitar as different instruments than jazz guitar, then you have nylon string and steel string. Each one of them needs different techniques, articulation and amplifying that I treat them as different instruments. Not to say about special ways of players like Tuck Andress, Raul Midon or Adam Fulara

I posted this elsewhere but here it's just as a small example:

User Info Menu

I play guitar, electric bass, stand up bass and violin. Stand up and violin not so well.
    The instrument I should play is keyboard. I was raised by two pianists and that's like being raised by two drummers.
    I did fumble my way through some Mozart and Beethoven movements. It was bad.
    I've been doing 'mouse music' for the last 12 years or so in a DAW and I should really focus on electric guitar and keys.
    I'm finally playing electric again after many years. Hooking up my midi keyboard will have to wait until I move.

One time mom went to a garage sale and she bought a casio midi keyboard.
    She said, HERE, use this....
    I guess I have hangups about the keys. She was right.

I should learn to play chords. Comp a little. I miss 'playing' the drum machine. I used to do that long ago. I want to get into the Gospel method with chords on the keys.
    I can't do this right now. I have to go find a place to live.

User Info Menu

When you talk about the Gospel method with the chords on the keys, what exactly is that? Do you mean the Gospel style, in general, of playing keyboard?

User Info Menu

It's easy for me to get around the bass, although I can't read bass clef,

That's why piano has really challenged me with both clefs.

You can noodle for hours on an instrument, but its is hard finding the discipline to practice a brand new instrument

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mrcee
    When you talk about the Gospel method with the chords on the keys, what exactly is that? Do you mean the Gospel style, in general, of playing keyboard?
    This kind of thing;

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevebol
    This kind of thing;

Right.

Another way of referring to intervals past the octave, like 9ths and 13ths, is Compound Intervals as opposed to Simple Intervals: 2nds through 6ths. And I don't think a 7th is never called a 14th or a 5th called a 12th. A great Gospel pianist that a lot of people aren't aware of was the jazz pianist Mary Lou Williams.

User Info Menu

In addition to guitar I play drums, vibes/marimba, and 'composer piano'.

I also dabble with Indian flutes and trumpet but I am basically a challenged beginner.

For me, playing other instruments helps me with composing and arranging. It's fun! And they all provide particular insights about how music works.

But it's hard to keep them all up when time is a constraint.

User Info Menu

I focus on jazz guitar, mainly archtop, some nylon-string. I have been getting back into the classical repertoire a bit lately. I have an archie set up for slide, tuned to E, and a square-neck resonator, which I play--badly.

I have a couple of ukes which I have fun with--haven't yet incorporated them into the jazz stuff, but that is a goal.

I also have a Fender MJ bass that I work with from time to time.

We have a piano that I personally don't play, but I did get a keyboard to add some organ and synth accompaniment to recordings.

Other random instruments I've accumulated (but don't really play) are a mountain dulcimer and some native drums. Oh, and a Marine Band harmonica.

User Info Menu

I've always admired multi-instrumentalists that can play at a high level of proficiency such as Ralph Towner or George Winston or Scheila Gonzalez (Zappa Plays Zappa). There is so much that I don't know and can't do with guitar that I can't even think about another instrument at my age (besides an occasional midi keyboard for jollies).

One of my favs multi-instrumentalist youtube stars is Rob Scallon (guitar, cello, drums, single string shovel...)