User Info Menu

All the greats had a shadow they walked in before they became great:

Robert Johnson had Skip James
    B.B. King had Bukka White
    Muddy Waters had Son House

. . . so why not continue the tradition?

I'm a not-so-beginner beginner who has just finished taking a course in blues guitar and fell in love with it. BUT---I'm also currently living in New York City, which of course means----I ain't exactly "raking it in" So because my bills have skyrocketed recently, music lessons have unfortunately become a luxury.

But practicing alone late at night is pretty isolating and only so much can be learned from Youtube videos----so what's an enterprising musician to do?

I'm aiming to launch a monthly blues salon/ jam session where established & pro-level guitarists can interact with young pups like myself who are just starting out and could really use the tutelage. The idea is to create a comfortable atmosphere where the masters can bestow their knowledge to the rookies but can also swap war stories & maybe learn some new skills from their fellow experienced brethren. Maybe we focus on particular style one session or a particular musician during another---I'm open to suggestions. The whole point is to foster a community of blues lovers who want to better their craft--and who knows maybe gain a mentor or apprentice in the process.

The sessions would take place at Rivington Music Rehearsal Studio in the Lower East Side, I'd take care of the costs for the space rental (though if you'd like to chip in you're more than welcome to) and each session would run around 2 hours.

Looking forward to hearing from my fellow pluckers out there!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I am a very long way from NY but do let us know what transpires! I think that is a great idea!!

Will

User Info Menu

I'm in NY and am somewhat active in the blues scene here (go to jams from time to time, gig a handful of times a year, thought lately more jazz than blues). I guess I'm pro-level as an electric player. Less so as an acoustic player, though (I don't do much any more, but I have some repertoire I could resurrect). I'd be interested. One thing, though -- at least for the jamming part it'll work better if there are at least some non-guitarists at the events. Especially if you anticipate electric jamming, it'll get really old, really fast if there's no rhythm section. Also, it would probably be worth your while to make it out to some established jams (e.g., the Red Lion on Mondays), and check out the New York City Blues Jams facebook group to get a sense of who's around, what levels people are at, and network a bit.

John

I wasn't going to sign up for this 'cause i spend all my time trying to get better at bebop. But I bought a bass and need a reason to use it - to John A.'s point about rhythm section. So let us know when it goes down and I'll try to make it.
    And I played blues guitar for years so i could maybe contribute some tips.