Likes Likes:  0
Reply to Thread
Posts 1 to 15 of 15

User Info Menu

Anybody out there live in Texas(USA)? I honestly cannot find anybody in my community who likes jazz like me. I feel like I need to play with a small band at least now.
    Wes Montgomery anyone?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by aPAULo View Post
    Anybody out there live in Texas(USA)? I honestly cannot find anybody in my community who likes jazz like me. I feel like I need to play with a small band at least now.
    Hi! Where in Texas? I'm in the Gulf Coast / Houston region.

User Info Menu

I live in the Dallas Fort Worth area.

User Info Menu

Well there's tons of jazz in the DFW area because of the North Texas university program. Great guest artists that give clinics/concerts and tons of talented students giving concerts around town.

MW

User Info Menu

One of the greats teaches and gigs in the DFW area, Clint Strong. He was Merle Haggard's guitarist for many, many years, but lives in your area now.

Really nice guy and super player. One of the few guys (besides Les himself) who plays jazz on a Les Paul. Here's his website and a clip of him playing. I would start with him if I lived in DFW.

http://clintstrong.net/

User Info Menu

I'm in Houston as well...
    Jamm de,jour anyone..

South Houston, close to Johnson space center..

User Info Menu

I'm finishing up at North Texas. Trust me there's way to many people to play with up here on a professional level. But texas is a huge place, you're going to have to narrow down the search.

I saw Clint STrong a few months ago and he was playing a Parker through a Roland cube 60 and had a great sound. He was wailing away some of the sickest bebop I heard.

User Info Menu

Jazz in Texas? Mainly restaurant ambience gigs. Nothing pays too well or too consistently. As Jake says, too many students and way too much undercutting.

Western swing fares a little better around here, but the Denton elite don't really reckon that that's real jazz.

User Info Menu

I'm in San Antonio but i've just gotten interested in jazz recently. I'd be willing to jam though

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by aPAULo View Post

In Austin - the Jazz scene in Texas is pretty strong in the North Texas area. UNT really turns out players.

User Info Menu

Hey Dothead,

I just came upon your post today. I am in San Antonio too and looking for someone to jam with. I've only been doing the jazz thing for about a year, so maybe we're at about the same level.

I'm just inside 1604 between I-10 and 281. Send me a PM with your contact info if you think you might want to get together.

Cheers,

Bob

User Info Menu

Strongest place in Texas is DENTON near Dallas ...University of N.Texas and amazing players there. Supposed to be the Mecca of the west for jazz.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Jerome View Post
    Strongest place in Texas is DENTON near Dallas ...University of N.Texas and amazing players there. Supposed to be the Mecca of the west for jazz.
    Definitely in the classrooms and you'll find some students playing in bars/restaurants/wineries down in Dallas/Ft Worth, but most of the jazz students play in bands that don't play jazz. There may be a jazz school, but there is no jazz scene.

User Info Menu

Not true.

While there might not be "paying" money jazz gigs in Denton there are a lot of gigs in Denton where people play regularily 3 to 4 nights a week. Of course if you're defining the scene purely as a "getting paid" thing which I tend to do, then no there's nothing happening much of anywhere in the US. But if you're a fan of Jazz and want to go see Jazz in D/FW and happen to be in Denton there's a good chance that there's something happening in town, not just in Kenton Hall.
    Jake Hanlon - Jazz Guitarist, Composer and Educator
    Website - Buy Music - Youtube - STFXU

User Info Menu

Nice to hear from you Jake. I think the gig situation is pretty much the same wherever you go. Jazz gigs always pay bad...the guys play because they love it and the clubs take advantage. My partner will not do those gigs . He says if they think you will work for a little you set yourself up for the fall. If they want him they will pay. He is fortunate to be at a certain performance and reputation level. Most do not have the luxury. We have recently formed a production company called Pairadocs. We work together as a duo, him on guitar , me on vocals. Frank played for Sinatra, Bennett and worked for Buddy Rich and many famous players and singers. We are now producing Jazz shows in New Hope PA in conjunction with the Arts Council . They have given us the venue and the powers to do this...we have given them the players and at fair rates to both parties. we want to make it an annual Festival and we want to produce shows all year long. We want to keep the music alive as it is ...an ART FORM...so we are committed. Wish us luck !