Likes Likes:  0
Reply to Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

hi im an aspiring jazz guitarist looking for other musicians to learn jam and have fun with in the west yorkshire region

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I´m in South Yorkshire at the moment. Where exactly are you?

User Info Menu

im in huddersfield what instrument do you play

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gingerjazz View Post
    hi im an aspiring jazz guitarist looking for other musicians to learn jam and have fun with in the west yorkshire region
    Hello I'm a saxophonist living in the Huddersfield. I am interested also in playing jazz etc with other musicians. Currently I play in a saxophone ensemble. I also attend one night a week at Leeds Music College. I also have lessons with a private tutor in Leeds with whom I am studying my Jazz Grades. I'm currently working on Grade 4 Jazz. My music reading etc is quite good. I have had some experience playing with other musicians. I have a wide spectrum of musical interest but some of my influences are Lester Young, Cannonball Adderley, Sonny Rollins, Thelonius Monk, Miles Davis etc. I am 50ish years old.

User Info Menu

Cool... I used to go to LCM... who is your sax tutor? I am based in Leeds... and play Guitar and up for playing some jazz with local cats.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whippersnapper View Post
    Cool... I used to go to LCM... who is your sax tutor? I am based in Leeds... and play Guitar and up for playing some jazz with local cats.
    Thats great but you might be a more advanced player than me if you've attended Leeds full time. My tutor there is Don Donelly and my private tutor is Stueart Hedington.
    Whats the best way to make contact.

User Info Menu

Do any of you guys go to any Jazz jam sessions?

User Info Menu

I haven't really. I did get the opportunity recently in France where we played standards we were familiar with from real books and charts. I don't know any local jazz jam sessions.

User Info Menu

There's one at the Grove in Leeds Tuesday/Wednesday Evening, The Swan in Liveredge, Wardrobe on Monday evenings, although from what I hear the one at The Black Swan in York is ment to be the best with the back up made up of proffesional musicians.

User Info Menu

The Black Swan in yorks jam session is a lot less frequent than it used to be..which is a shame.
    I'm also an aspiring jazz guitarist .I also definately like to get together for a jam with like minded people

User Info Menu

Hi guys. it sounds like theres plenty of leeds based musicians here.
    please contact me to arrange some jams soon.

danieljpeters_294@hotmail.co.uk

User Info Menu

Right. I'm in Liverpool, but if you can organise a jam with a spare amp in Leeds (I've got no car...), I'll head over for it. We should surely be able to organise some kind of NW jam.

User Info Menu

Hi It seems all you guys could Jam in Leeds howabout @my place(duet jams) or a place called "jamstudios"(hired rehearsal space(Leeds), for the whole gang)?

Gingerjazz
    Theo
    Johnjazz
    Whippersnapper
    Elinfoot
    Skrybe

get in touch > danieljpeters_294@hotmail.co.uk

User Info Menu

OK: Skrybe, Johnjazz, Theo, Whippersnapper and Elinfoot are available to Jam in Leeds.
    +Gingerjazz is available in Huddersfield.

Get in touch with me ASAP to arrange sessions: danieljpeters_294@hotmail.co.uk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by djpeters View Post
    OK: Skrybe, Johnjazz, Theo, Whippersnapper and Elinfoot are available to Jam in Leeds.
    +Gingerjazz is available in Huddersfield.
    I´m sorry, but I´m back in Germany again, so no chance right now for me to play with you guys. Have fun though,
    theo

User Info Menu

Basically, I'll jam anywhere in the NW provided I can get a train there and back to Liverpool and there's an amp there I can use. I'm still pretty fresh to playing jazz, so I'm looking for as many opportunities to jam this stuff and learn from people as possible.

I know quite a few standards, and can comp most charts on sight (still struggling with the fast tempo bebop with lots of changes, but the rest is okay). I want to develop consistency in my improvising and develop the ability to extend improvisations beyond 1-2 choruses, though. That's where my lack of jamming really shows.

That said, I'll be in the US from the 28th July to 7th August. But apart from that, I'll deffo be up for jamming. I also go to Manchester once a fortnight to study with my tutor, Mike Walker, so if there's anything going on over there, I'm game for that, too.

User Info Menu

OK, I'm 32yrs old been playing 20yrs, at a good level, don't play standards much tho. Pretty much free to jam any time.
    In Headingley Leeds (Ls3/Ls6).

there is space at my place for 1 or two extra people, otherwise we will have to find somewhere else. Possibly we could use my parents house (Ls6) where we could accomodate 5>6 people.

email me: danieljpeters_294@hotmail.co.uk
    or phone: 07592 305 879

please email me your phone numbers ASAP