Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

It's so dam hard to find other Jazz muscians that are close to the same level as me..which i would call intermediate at best. I would love to find a bass player and drummer to play/jam with in NJ

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Jazzarian Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by guitarplayer007 View Post
    It's so dam hard to find other Jazz muscians that are close to the same level as me..which i would call intermediate at best. I would love to find a bass player and drummer to play/jam with in NJ

Try finding a good jazz pianist. That's the hardest part.

User Info Menu

Boy, I hear you. Go to your local Guitar Center. There are plenty of keyboard players to listen to and it amazes me how many don't have gigs. But it also amazes me how many don't read music or charts and sound incredible. I agree, keyboard is the first place to start. Guitar-Keyboard inspires other musicians to want to be a part of the group. Signed Sleepless in Chicago.

User Info Menu

Where in Jersey? I'm in Ocean County but I'm a pretty novice jazz guitarist. Alas, it'd be nice to have someone to jam with if you're local.

User Info Menu

try posting on craigslist, or putting a small add in your area newspapers. Go find the jam sessions. NJ has a lot of players in it, depending exactly on where of course (so I'm told). Don't be afraid to go higher then your level, that's where you truly learn to play, not with guys on your own level, although it's fun.

Chin up, you'll find cats.

User Info Menu

Where in NJ? towns that have music stores that specialize in Jazz Guitar are

Montclair ( I forgot the name )
    Summit (Guitars N Jazz)
    Westwood area (Golden Age Guitars)
    Rutherford (Rutherford Music Exchange)
    Teaneck (Lark Street Music)

I hear good things about Red Bank.

I'm sure there's a bulletin board in each of these stores with musicians looking for other musicians posting.

Hey i'm in essex county, but i'm down that way alot. How old are yoo?
    Ken

User Info Menu

Ken,

Unfortunately I'm pretty busy and at 50, probably much older than you.

However if your in Essex County check out Montclair. There are three music stores over there. One is Bach to Rock (I think) on Bloomfield Ave. The other is some Guitar Store on Valley Road that is less than a mile from Bach to Rock. The third is on Watchung Ave called Music Magic or something like that. I'm sure all of these stores have a bulletin board with musicians seeking musicians. While your in Montclair stop by Trumpets Jazz club (check the web for the address) They may have a bulletin board up as well. Plus there are three cafes on Bloomfield ave that may also have bulletin boards.

Montclair was pretty happening for a long time. Since 1991 I've played in just about every restaurant and coffee house on Bloomfield ave as well as every Montclair Jazz and BLues festival up until about 3 year ago. It should still be somewhat happening. I know a whole bunch of musicians that still live there. If your not near Montclair then give me an idea of where in essex and I can recommend some other possibilites

Also check out the free "Steppin Out' magazine. They have a page of musicians seekin musicians.

User Info Menu

Well I live and play in Essex...but it's the original county of Essex in England!! Not much help to you, I guess.

I'll check it out, but i'm 46
    Ken

User Info Menu

wow as a newbie to this site it is really nice to hear people talking of their age & their is a fair percentage that arte actually over 16 not like U.G. LOL
    Richard
    Veni Vidi Vici

User Info Menu

where are you from in nj im in woodbridge

I'm in Caldwell, not to far.
    ken