The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Posts 126 to 135 of 135

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevebol
    Music is on hold for now. I'm looking for a place to settle down. I liked San Diego. Seems to be a little less expensive than LA. I was stuck in National City for 6 years. I managed to claw my way out and got my one shot at being a club musician overseas but it didn't work out long term.
    I just want to settle down at this point. I think $1000-$1200 might get me a nice pad in Diego. Not sure which neighborhood to go with.
    I drove a cab out there. Don't want to do that again. I'll find a part-time job.
    If I have to go back to the Hotel California I'd be happy just being the janitor.
    Someone needs to clean the place, right?

I want to clean bathrooms at the Hotel California...
    Any time of year,
    There's no weather here...
    Ask Dwight. New member on Chit Chat. He has a weekly sitting in jam in San Diego and is a hell of a player and a sweetheart of a person. At least jump over there and get on the thread so you guys meet.

If you get to San Diego, maybe you can plug in with some jazz people right off.

Gee, I love this forum. I used to have actual go somewhere to hang out with people. Now I can do it from the comfort of my living room.....

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

LA is tempting because there are a lot of singers there. R&B is popular there and that's my thing. IDK. It's like starting from zero. Plus all the driving. I'm 58 and should move on to something else. I can see why jazz musicians might get frustrated with LA. Lot's of snark between musicians and the audience. Cliches.

User Info Menu

Hey guys. So, my fiancee got the job and I am going to LA. So the question remains, how do I ship a guitar across the country. I nixed the road trip idea, too much time and variables. How have you guys shipped guitars in the past. If something happened to my arch top, I would feel like a part of me died. Can I get the guitar insured? Let me know. Any other info about the shipping process would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Irez87
    Hey guys. So, my fiancee got the job and I am going to LA. So the question remains, how do I ship a guitar across the country. I nixed the road trip idea, too much time and variables. How have you guys shipped guitars in the past. If something happened to my arch top, I would feel like a part of me died. Can I get the guitar insured? Let me know. Any other info about the shipping process would be greatly appreciated.
    Take it to a UPS store (there are quite a few around most towns) and have THEM wrap it for shipping.
    Insure it for as much as you think your ax is worth. That's what I would do. They're good.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docbop
    San Diego is nice, expensive, but has L.A. ex-patriot Jazz players living there like Peter Sprague great guitarist, Bob Magnusson, and others. L.A. is about 120 miles north so not to bad a drive when someone good is in town.
    It looks to be a little cheaper than LA. I'm pretty set on Diego. Now, where to look for an apartment. I drove a cab in National City and then just north of downtown Diego. I remember a little.
    I'd like to get teacher there after I settle in.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by West LA Jazz
    Take it to a UPS store (there are quite a few around most towns) and have THEM wrap it for shipping.
    Insure it for as much as you think your ax is worth. That's what I would do. They're good.
    You've done that before. I am worried because I've gotten instruments ruined while flying with them before. If anything happens to my arch top... I don't have the money to recoup the costs of repairs...

Should I ship it in the hard shell case (might rattle around) or the soft shell (levi's and heavily padded).

Just nervous. That guitar is gonna be my salvation as I get my shit together in LA with work and all. Looking forward to the weather, though. NYC is brick, as my students call it. gonna creep down to the single digits over the weekend, and we are leaving Saturday to check out places to rent. Warm weather, here I come.

Quote Originally Posted by Irez87
    You've done that before. I am worried because I've gotten instruments ruined while flying with them before. If anything happens to my arch top... I don't have the money to recoup the costs of repairs...

Should I ship it in the hard shell case (might rattle around) or the soft shell (levi's and heavily padded).

Just nervous. That guitar is gonna be my salvation as I get my shit together in LA with work and all. Looking forward to the weather, though. NYC is brick, as my students call it. gonna creep down to the single digits over the weekend, and we are leaving Saturday to check out places to rent. Warm weather, here I come.

Have them brace the guitar INSIDE the case with bubble wrap BEFORE bubble wrapping the actual case and then boxed. You could ship ground but that takes a while longer. The key is to immobilize the guitar INSIDE the case.
    And YES, I've done this before. Please INSURE your baby. It'll give you more peace knowing that God forbid...

It looks to be a little cheaper than LA. I'm pretty set on Diego. Now, where to look for an apartment. I drove a cab in National City and then just north of downtown Diego. I remember a little.
    I'd like to get teacher there after I settle in.
    You are correct, it's cheaper than LA for a fact. I have many pals out there and visit regularly.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by West LA Jazz
    You are correct, it's cheaper than LA for a fact. I have many pals out there and visit regularly.
    Cool. I just found out that July 22 in San Diego is 'Calvin Ollie Baugh Day'. He was my former bandleader. I lost track but I guess he was in LA from around 86-91, then moved back to Diego. He got a good job as a lab tech and had a kids foundation.
    I found out recently that he passed away in 08' and I still can't get used to the idea he's gone. He looked out for me on more than one occasion.

Cool. I just found out that July 22 in San Diego is 'Calvin Ollie Baugh Day'. He was my former bandleader. I lost track but I guess he was in LA from around 86-91, then moved back to Diego. He got a good job as a lab tech and had a kids foundation.
    I found out recently that he passed away in 08' and I still can't get used to the idea he's gone. He looked out for me on more than one occasion.
    I totally understand! I've had more than a few pass only to find out later. Sorry for your loss and the best of luck and times in San Diego when you arrive!