The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 135

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docbop
    That probably was the old Soul station KGFJ an early Black music station gone now. Today KJLH is the big Black music station and it's owned by Stevie Wonder.
    It's probably the station you mention.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

checking in here, not LA but im in the Desert, Palm Springs area. Anyone on here from out my way??

actually grew up in the Rolling hill PV area.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzgtrl4
    checking in here, not LA but im in the Desert, Palm Springs area. Anyone on here from out my way??

actually grew up in the Rolling hill PV area.

I've in the desert the other direction North in Lancaster where all the semi truck got blown over in the wind yesterday. I used to work in a record store in Torrance were all the RPV people would go Do Re Mi Music in the strip mall on PCH and Hawthorne.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docbop
    I've in the desert the other direction North in Lancaster where all the semi truck got blown over in the wind yesterday. I used to work in a record store in Torrance were all the RPV people would go Do Re Mi Music in the strip mall on PCH and Hawthorne.

Cool, i think i remember that place on PCH. Been a long time since Ive been up to PV actually..Only time i go is for the occasional gig at Terranea resort. The old Marineland.

whats the jazz scene like in Lancaster? Here there are a few places that have jazz in palm springs

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzgtrl4
    whats the jazz scene like in Lancaster? Here there are a few places that have jazz in palm springs
    Jazz in Lancaster is non-existent. A lot of musicians here, but only a couple into Jazz and have to drive a long way for the rare Jazz gig. Not even any busking going on here just Country and Blues at the VFW's.

User Info Menu

I was in Mojave a few weeks ago and the most active business appeared to be the bail bondsman. The say there was nothing would be sugar coating it. Lancaster looks like the big city by comparison.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by unknownguitarplayer
    I was in Mojave a few weeks ago and the most active business appeared to be the bail bondsman. The say there was nothing would be sugar coating it. Lancaster looks like the big city by comparison.
    Compared to Mojave and Boron yes, but that's like comparing have a root canal to eating cake.
    Last edited by docbop; 12-24-2015 at 09:32 PM.

User Info Menu

I pass through Mohave now and then and sometimes stay the night. The middle of nowhere is an understatement.

User Info Menu

Crap! I might be moving to LA

Really? I find it hard to believe that the scene is that dead when it is still living in NYC.

I figure that there are still a lot of jazz cats out there that still teach, right?

I wanna hook up with Stowell and Sid Jacobs and get some knowledge from them.

I also wanna hook up with other instrumentalists, vocalists, and arrangers.

Please tell me that there's still music happening in LA. It can't be all dried out.

Without music, what is life? Boring!

User Info Menu

I'm probably as guilty as anyone on this thread for suggesting that LA had a dead jazz scene.
    I'm sure there's plenty of great players and teachers. Just from my experience some years ago
    and the history of the place in general it doesn't seem to have any world class venues or many
    famous players in residence. It's not NYC, but where is? The link I posted upthread pretty much says
    it all.
    Last edited by mrcee; 12-28-2015 at 06:48 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Irez87
    Crap! I might be moving to LA

Really? I find it hard to believe that the scene is that dead when it is still living in NYC.

I figure that there are still a lot of jazz cats out there that still teach, right?

I wanna hook up with Stowell and Sid Jacobs and get some knowledge from them.

I also wanna hook up with other instrumentalists, vocalists, and arrangers.

Please tell me that there's still music happening in LA. It can't be all dried out.

Without music, what is life? Boring!

Stowell is in Portland OR, Sid is still teaching at GIT. There are teachers here because there are schools there. The clubs scene is small.

User Info Menu

It seems very slim here, especially if you are coming from NYC. I went to NY a couple of years back, and my mind was completely blown away getting to hear Peter Bernstein and others at Smalls, etc. I've heard about a couple of jam sessions going on up in LA......one in Beverly Hills and another that docbop mentioned above (in Lamert Park sp?). I haven't checked them out personally, but there's a couple of people I know who recommend them. They are just pretty far from where I am, and they are held late during the week.

Personally, I have recently found hidden treasure in the community colleges, which cost next to nothing.....but I haven't run across any guitar teachers in these places that really float my boat for jazz. But there are some great horn players.

Larry Koonse is a great musician/guitar player who is up in LA somewhere, and Peter Sprague is down in San Diego. I don't know how much either of these players teach, but they are both supposed to be at a jazz camp to be held in San Diego. Another player I've heard is a guy by the name of Andy Waddell. I believe that he is a USC grad.
    Last edited by srlank; 12-28-2015 at 12:22 AM.

User Info Menu

But I should add.....Isn't the poster docdosco from LA? He talks about doing jazz gigs all of the time.

User Info Menu

Treme depicts the schism between the police and the locals in a very interesting way. Of course there are those in law enforcement who actually have a sense of humanity, I know some personally. But I also know crooked cops. I also know crooked docs. And crooked teachers...

Why is it that the crooked ones lead the tide, and house the power? I've become so disillusioned with my own job as a Special Education teacher. I often ask myself, do I matter in the larger scheme of things? Am I really doing a service to my students? Am I really making a difference?

Or...

Am I a cog in a larger political/ economic machine...? A faceless gear that grinds away in tandem to a larger machine that dictates my every movement whilst projecting a false truth of autonomy...

Fantasy is nice, but reality is more palpable.

The teeth of my gear are wearing dull. Those teeth were my prison, fitting into a puzzle so that the individuality is silenced out of existence. Am I a gear that is finally self aware and cognizant of the machine that spins me round and round to a prescribed rhythm and cadence?

If my teeth wear down and I spin freely, what will be? Will the machine cease to work...?

Or will I be replaced by a newer gear?
    Last edited by Irez87; 12-28-2015 at 08:16 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by srlank
    It seems very slim here, especially if you are coming from NYC. I went to NY a couple of years back, and my mind was completely blown away getting to hear Peter Bernstein and others at Smalls, etc. I've heard about a couple of jam sessions going on up in LA......one in Beverly Hills and another that docbop mentioned above (in Lamert Park sp?). I haven't checked them out personally, but there's a couple of people I know who recommend them. They are just pretty far from where I am, and they are held late during the week.

Personally, I have recently found hidden treasure in the community colleges, which cost next to nothing.....but I haven't run across any guitar teachers in these places that really float my boat for jazz. But there are some great horn players.

Larry Koonse is a great musician/guitar player who is up in LA somewhere, and Peter Sprague is down in San Diego. I don't know how much either of these players teach, but they are both supposed to be at a jazz camp to be held in San Diego. Another player I've heard is a guy by the name of Andy Waddell. I believe that he is a USC grad.

Jamming in L.A. there was never a big scene like in NYC. I think part of it is the clubs close earliest 2am vs 4am and the city is so spread out. Then jamming even playing in houses is so hard with noise restrictions. I worked in my friend rehearsal studio for awhile and some of the regulars weren't bands but jams session, but they weren't open to outsiders. L.A. is more about the musician singular vs groups playing/jamming. I would say the focus on being a studio musician town players are more into honing chops and making contacts that experimenting in a jam. Then the minuscule jam scene. One other Jam I knew of before I left was the Gospel players got together on Sunday afternoons at a club in Inglewood. L.A. has music going on for entertaining, but not a scene like NYC for musicians to jam, play, and listen to each other in.

User Info Menu

My stint in LA (mostly Long Beach): '68 to '80.

This came out in '83 & describes my experience fairly well (mine was decidedly lower-rent!)

Sorry, I just can't resist: "I Love L.A.!"

I did work Downtown for a while and one of my closest pals was a police reporter who
    knew the city & its lore extremely well. A lot of good times, a great place to be young & dumb.

I narrowly survived to be old & dumb.

User Info Menu

If you do have $1,300 Mo. for rent you'll be fine as long as it's no more than a studio or 1 bdr., you'll love SilverLake, if you CAN find a pad. The lake itself is great for walking/jogging around it. Very 'in place' to be. Lots of artsy fartsy folks, script writers, sicians, coffee hangs. Great modern library and large dog park at lake. TV reception is iffy due to frwys near by. Lots of hills and foliage with concrete stairs to/from, remaining from the Red Cars (Pacific Electric trolley system that used to cover L.A. county). Basically, living in SilverLake you're in the epicenter of the creative middle class folks. No skyscrapers here !.. BUT, as far as gigs go, hey this is next to Hollywood and thus saturated to the gills with musicians of every kind and little venues remaining to get booked in. Might want to visit 'Musicians union Local 47' on Vine St. to perhaps make a connection with someone...maybe... Contrary to what anybody says, downtown LA is coming back big time ! Little Tokyo is here and streets are teeming now with new bars, eateries, movie houses renovated, coffee hangs.
    Good luck, Mark
    Last edited by MarkInLA; 01-03-2016 at 08:56 PM.

User Info Menu

1,300 a month? That's my mortgage, on Chicago's south side. It's scary here though, according to the news.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkInLA
    If you do have $1,300 Mo. for rent you'll be fine as long as it's no more than a studio or 1 bdr. You'll love SilverLake. if you CAN find a pad. The lake itself is great for walking/jogging around it. Very 'in place' to be. Lots of artsy fartsy folks, script writers, sicians, coffee hangs. Great modern library and large dog park at lake. TV reception is iffy due to frwys near by. Lots of hills and foliage with concrete stairs to/from, remaining from the Red Cars (Pacific Electric trolley system that used to cover L.A. county). Basically, living in SilverLake you're in the epicenter of the creative middle class folks. No skyscrapers here !.. BUT, as far as gigs go, hey this is next to Hollywood and thus saturated to the gills with musicians of every kind and little venues remaining to get booked in. Might want to visit 'Musicians union Local 47' on Vine St. to perhaps make a connection with someone...maybe... Contrary to what anybody says, downtown LA is coming back big time ! Little Tokyo is here and streets are teeming now with new bars, eateries, movie houses renovated, coffee hangs.
    Good luck, Mark
    I split the 1,800 for a one bedroom in NYC (Queens) with my girlfriend.

Do you all see why I wanna leave? Do you all want to move here and pay that "just be close to the action?"

If the job with my girlfriend (soon more) goes through, I will be moving to LA. All I've heard from everyone else on this thread is that LA sucks for jazz and LA sucks for this... LA is huge, San Diego ain't too far either. Jeez.

It's not easy to get a gig in NYC either, cause we're packed to the gills as well. And those jam sessions? Not easy unless you have big cojones. I am getting my courage up to play at more jam sessions, but most of them are still egotistical cutting contests where one musician will whip his thing out to brag about how long it is compared to everyone else(not the one in Flushing, Queens. That's my sanctuary). Does that sound like a band mentality? Reality check, much?

I think I might find the contrary, because music is my breathe of air (but not my bread), and we are creatures that will do anything to get that breathe of air. So I will do whatever necessary to play the jazz I wanna play and do my day job (a special ed high school teacher).

I bet that I can find great, like minded musicians, in LA to play real music where everyone is in it for the real deal.

Thanks for the info, Mark. Finally, some good news.
    Last edited by Irez87; 01-03-2016 at 12:16 PM.

User Info Menu

Silverlake would be a good choice. Also maybe Echo Park.

User Info Menu

She hasn't got the job yet, so here's to hoping. Right now I am part of the "Rent is too damn high" party:

He had a point... No one had the balls to scream "you're right!"

Whatever...

Politicians...

Bite my shiny metal ass!
    Last edited by Irez87; 01-03-2016 at 06:55 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Irez87
    I split the 1,800 for a one bedroom in NYC (Queens) with my girlfriend.

Do you all see why I wanna leave? Do you all want to move here and pay that "just be close to the action?"

If the job with my girlfriend (soon more) goes through, I will be moving to LA. All I've heard from everyone else on this thread is that LA sucks for jazz and LA sucks for this... LA is huge, San Diego ain't too far either. Jeez.

It's not easy to get a gig in NYC either, cause we're packed to the gills as well. And those jam sessions? Not easy unless you have big cojones. I am getting my courage up to play at more jam sessions, but most of them are still egotistical cutting contests where one musician will whip his thing out to brag about how long it is compared to everyone else(not the one in Flushing, Queens. That's my sanctuary). Does that sound like a band mentality? Reality check, much?

I think I might find the contrary, because music is my breathe of air (but not my bread), and we are creatures that will do anything to get that breathe of air. So I will do whatever necessary to play the jazz I wanna play and do my day job (a special ed high school teacher).

I bet that I can find great, like minded musicians, in LA to play real music where everyone is in it for the real deal.

Thanks for the info, Mark. Finally, some good news.

You're going to want to let where you and your girlfriend work drive your apartment search in L.A. Don't want to spend all your time communing. San Diego is not a place you live and work in L.A. it's about 120 miles south of L.A. and might as well be in another state with traffic.

Assuming you do the Facebook thing you might want to connect with Joe Albano, Albano the Madman he's a ex-NYC sax player in L.A. now. He was in the SF Valley and now out in Pasadena I believe and he recently went thru the apartment hunt and could probably fill you in. Also he's playing Jazz so be someone to connect with who's in the scene.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mrcee
    Silverlake would be a good choice. Also maybe Echo Park.

I took at look at the rents there and they're a little high for me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevebol
    I took at look at the rents there and they're a little high for me.

Silverlake is a nice trendy area, but trendy area tend to be high priced. Check Culver City there's a lot going on and close to lots of freeways and etc. You'll find a lot people commute pretty far to get an affordable place then commute back to go to events. People drive a lot in L.A. and there is no place immune to traffic. As someone once said and it's true L.A. is a giant suburb in search of a city.