The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 135

User Info Menu

I'm assuming there are tons of Los Angeles, CA based players on this blog.
    Has there been a roll call thread that I'm missing?
    It would be nice to confer and share....

Thanks!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'm from Orange County...currently hanging out at the Seabird in Long Beach. Guitarist Andy Wadell is playing with
    some vocalists right now. He is a great player!

Quote Originally Posted by srlank
    I'm from Orange County...currently hanging out at the Seabird in Long Beach. Guitarist Andy Wadell is playing with
    some vocalists right now. He is a great player!
    I'm just up the street (so to speak). The Seabird is on my to do list! Thanks!

User Info Menu

I lived in L.A. until a couple years ago, I'm now live in the furthest north city in L.A. County in the desert.
    Last edited by docbop; 11-30-2015 at 01:58 AM.

User Info Menu

I've lived all over SoCal, from north Orange County, to Hollywood, Claremont, Oxnard, NoHo, Redondo Beach, and these days, Palos Verdes.

Quote Originally Posted by docbop
    I lived in L.A. until a couple years ago, I'm now live in the furthest north city in L.A. County in the desert.
    Aaaah! San Bernadino county is my guess. I just drove through the desert from Nevada this past weekend. Victorville, Barstow, Hysperia...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by West LA Jazz
    Aaaah! San Bernadino county is my guess. I just drove through the desert from Nevada this past weekend. Victorville, Barstow, Hysperia...
    Lancaster where Frank Zappa and Capt Beefheart came from and where aging rockers from L.A. move. San Bernadino is way South and East. Kern Country just a few miles north that's where Carol Kaye lives.

Lancaster where Frank Zappa and Capt Beefheart came from and where aging rockers from L.A. move. San Bernadino is way South and East. Kern Country just a few miles north that's where Carol Kaye lives.

I have my directions wrong! I just heard Frank on Sirius radio tearing it up like I'd never heard before on the Jam On station. I am most definitely familiar with Lancaster. It became the hot place to go and grab a piece of the rock due to LA prices going into the you know what. A few friends of mine bought there. The Kern County and Kern river are both on my bucket list.

User Info Menu

I have my directions wrong! I just heard Frank on Sirius radio tearing it up like I'd never heard before on the Jam On station. I am most definitely familiar with Lancaster. It became the hot place to go and grab a piece of the rock due to LA prices going into the you know what. A few friends of mine bought there. The Kern County and Kern river are both on my bucket list.

There was quite a boom out here in the 90's, but it's over and many people and businesses are gone. A lot of empty storefronts. Having NASA to the north and the skunkworks to the south does help keep people here. Weird with skunkworks here to walk about and see the stealth bomber cruising around and some other odd flying things. Skunkworks just got a big contract so that should help bring people with money into the area.

Quartz Hill the ritzy area here supposedly Skunk Baxter and Simon Phillips live there in gated communities and Carmine Appice did live here but moved. People say Eddie Van Halen getaway house is in the hills just south of here. A lot of musicians here just none of them into Jazz mainly Country and Classic Rock which seems to be anything pre-2000.

A lot of people here knew Zappa and Beefheart and have cool stories I hear some of Beefhearts old band members live here. Town still loves Frank.

User Info Menu

"The Kern County and Kern river are both on my bucket list."

This is one of my fave backyard rides-near Greenhorn pass west of Lake Isabella on the 155. Stellar. When I worked in the Post Production sound biz in the 80's we first lived in WeHo on the corner of Fountain and Flores-a iconic building, then later over to "Little Hancock Park" on Sycamore and First.
    Unfortunately the drought has not been kind to the Kern River. Lots of lost business in that area, it's a prime spot for white water rafting expeditions.
    Attached Images Attached Images Jazz players in Los Angeles?-greenhorn-jpg 

User Info Menu

What's a good place to live in or around LA? I was in Diego in the 80's but if I move back to CA I want to be in LA.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevebol
    What's a good place to live in or around LA? I was in Diego in the 80's but if I move back to CA I want to be in LA.

These days there all expensive so it all about your budget. L.A. is being called the new Brooklyn since NYC is getting so expensive many New Yorkers are moving to L.A. L.A. is like any big cities it boils down to the neighborhood some good others lots of gangs and etc. I would say the only area that I'd avoid is downtown there's never been much going on down there.

About six months ago one of my previous jobs asked if I'd be interested in coming back, didn't take long to realize I couldn't afford it anymore. Rents are high, gas is higher than rest of country, traffic is crazy bad, and everything is getting expensive.

It depends what you're looking for. If you want rent in a suburban environment, you can live in Culver City and be close to the beach (downtown culver city is cool enough for a jazz man) and live 30 minutes away from downtown or Hollywood.

If you want to buy, you can always buy a 2 or 3 unit multi family (400k range at 3% down) and live in one apartment and rent the other(s). Yes. LA rent is approaching Brooklyn rent. However, it's not a bad idea having tenants help you pay off your mortgage = additional forced savings as I like to think of it. I moved from the border of Santa Monica / LA on the westside to 13 minutes south of downtown. I wouldn't have done this 10 years ago.

Downtown Development: The Latest Updates on 99 Downtown Projects - Los Angeles Downtown News - For Everything Downtown L.A.!: Development

Today's downtown ain't your Daddy's downtown any more. It's hipster central. For instance, out of curiosity, I went to check out the new Whole Foods on 8th and Grand and I still shake my head at the M A S S I V E change. Whole Foods in downtown LA??? You got to be kidding me!!!! Downtown in the 90s was seedy central....

Now they have a fabulous bookstore downtown called THE LAST BOOKSTORE. It's a blast. http://lastbookstorela.com

8th and Grand
    http://www.carmelapartments.com/eigh...los-angeles-ca
    Last edited by West LA Jazz; 12-06-2015 at 03:26 AM.

User Info Menu

I've been downtown, but hadn't seen the Whole Foods....reminds me of recent South Park.
    By the way, Long Beach is about 45 minutes south of Downtown LA, and is a very diverse place with a lot going on in terms of art and music.
    Last edited by srlank; 12-06-2015 at 03:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by srlank
    I've been downtown, but hadn't seen the Whole Foods....reminds me of recent South Park.
    You're correct. Whole foods hasn't been open a month I don't think. South Park indeed!!

User Info Menu

These days there all expensive so it all about your budget. L.A. is being called the new Brooklyn since NYC is getting so expensive many New Yorkers are moving to L.A. L.A. is like any big cities it boils down to the neighborhood some good others lots of gangs and etc. I would say the only area that I'd avoid is downtown there's never been much going on down there.

About six months ago one of my previous jobs asked if I'd be interested in coming back, didn't take long to realize I couldn't afford it anymore. Rents are high, gas is higher than rest of country, traffic is crazy bad, and everything is getting expensive.
    I was looking at rent out there. I know 1200-$1300 isn't going to get me much. If I could find a part time job that would be a big help.

User Info Menu

I lived in LA for years off and on during the 70s and 80s. I left in 1990 and have never been back. I would say that I've got a love hate relationship with it. I can remember the days when my rent was $55 per month to live a block and a half from the beach in Ocean Park and I was making $200/wk working in boat yards in Venice. I saved $700 and moved in 1974 to NYC with a subway token and a dollar tucked inside my Tony Lama cowboy boots and rented a 1000 sq. ft. studio south of Houston. I was shittin' in high cotton. And Barney Kessel had a little guitar store on the south side of Hollywood. This was the early 70s and I heard that he was a real curmudgeon who'd chase snot nosed kids out of the store. I guess my nose was clean because he never chased me. Or paid me any other attention for that matter. I was playing in the 80s in LA with a bunch of West Indians who I'd known from the Caribbean a few years previously. They were probably the best musicians I've ever played with. I saw them steadily deteriorate (conceptually) over a 5 year period. I've recently seen some things by some of them on youtube and I just think to myself that I'm glad I got out of that scene. I've driven from Nor Cal to Texas a few times since then but always use Hwy 40 by way of Bakersfield to avoid LA. Ornette Coleman said something like 'Los Angeles is generally a bad place for anyone involved in any form of creative self expression'. LA today seems to me like one big #selfie video. To each their own I suppose but for my money if I was looking for Guitar Town I'd try Nashville.
    Last edited by mrcee; 12-06-2015 at 10:57 AM.

User Info Menu

I was looking at rent out there. I know 1200-$1300 isn't going to get me much. If I could find a part time job that would be a big help.

I left L.A. two years ago so not that current on prices. I know the Valley has always been a place musicians have lived, but have to be careful about where in the Valley. I know some live out in Pasadena area, but it adds to the commute to come into town. Culver City can is cool, but it's catching on and prices are climbing. A lot of the places people used to live inexpensively gentrification is driving prices up. Like parts of Venice and Santa Monica where I grew up Google and the whole Silicon Beach movement is going on and really drove prices up.

I would like to go back, but the prices and traffic keep me from doing it. Where I'm at now it's and 90 minute plus drive in and as crazy as that sounds a lot people live here and drive into L.A. everyday. Funny the rush hour out here is like 5am with people going to work in L.A.

I left L.A. two years ago so not that current on prices. I know the Valley has always been a place musicians have lived, but have to be careful about where in the Valley. I know some live out in Pasadena area, but it adds to the commute to come into town. Culver City can is cool, but it's catching on and prices are climbing. A lot of the places people used to live inexpensively gentrification is driving prices up. Like parts of Venice and Santa Monica where I grew up Google and the whole Silicon Beach movement is going on and really drove prices up.

I would like to go back, but the prices and traffic keep me from doing it. Where I'm at now it's and 90 minute plus drive in and as crazy as that sounds a lot people live here and drive into L.A. everyday. Funny the rush hour out here is like 5am with people going to work in L.A.

One major bummer. The Norm's on Lincoln and Colorado in Santa Monica closed. Change continues its onslaught.
    $1200 can get you a decent place in West LA if you look. Specifically the area around Ralphs between Olympic and Santa Monica Blvd and Barrington. Probably all the way up to Wilshire. But you gotta look or drive the area.

User Info Menu

One major bummer. The Norm's on Lincoln and Colorado in Santa Monica closed. Change continues its onslaught.
    $1200 can get you a decent place in West LA if you look. Specifically the area around Ralphs between Olympic and Santa Monica Blvd and Barrington. Probably all the way up to Wilshire. But you gotta look or drive the area.
    I go back a couple times a year and on a FB list of people who grew up around there and see all the closings really sad. My last day gig is around the area you're talking about looking. I worked on Santa Monica Blvd a block West of Bundy. I few of the programmers live around there and close to lots of cool places, the bad is traffic especially when politicians are in town they are usually going to events in Brentwood or going to Santa Monica airport to catch a helicopter so a lot of street closures.

User Info Menu

I've lived in LA since 2001 after I moved from New York. After arriving in LA I joined LA swing band Royal Crown Revue and I've been working in LA ever since. For the last few years I've spent more and more time teaching at MI in Hollywood as well. I couldn't imagine moving back to New York now. I enjoy a house with a yard too much.

User Info Menu

some nice LA folks and Xers on the board..I go back a bit .. from loft living on 13th & 6th in NY to now--santa monica..been in all parts of LA - major changes in all parts..25+ yrs ago I was lucky enough to inherit a "rent controlled" apt in santa monica..it was in the "poor" section of the city-I knew I "had" to keep the apt even if I moved elsewhere..its a small one-bed rm..that I invested in and remodeled.10 blocks from the beach..the rent is still in the 1980's mode..which gave me time to save and have some nice toys..now the entire area is upscale and climbing-I didn't have to move to a better neighborhood..the neighborhood came to me--I drive around different parts of LA from time to time .. hardly any landmarks I remember still around..used to play at a place in venice called the "comeback inn" a nice fun place..it was a "pass the hat" kind of deal..but some name players would show up from time to time and some great local bands would play some sets..now I hang out at a new "coffee bar" that's what they call 5 dollar a cup places now..its new and the owners may have me play there in the summer..its small and has hard acoustics but it could be fun..alot of nice ladies..and their dogs..seems to be if you live in LA now "they" give you a small dog you can carry everywhere (no one "walks their dog anymore)..supermarkets, even restaurants..I like large dogs..(really wolf..do tell) but don't have the room for one..

planning on moving here..ok..LA is massive..you can drive for an hour at freeway speed and still "technically"-(this is where they have horse crossings) be in LA City..the conditions of some areas are very nice and very pricy..SmallOneBeds-300 to 500 sq ft/ going for almost 2K..to take your chances areas 11-1500/Month..

yep traffic is a bitch..but..they have worked on public transit a lot..you can take trains now to almost everywhere and there is a heavy push on bikes..they have them almost everywhere.."bikeshare" they call it..in santa monica during the summer you cant drive to the beach anymore..they have built up downtown so much you cant go there anymore .. its too crowded (thanks yogi..)

there is a lot to do in the art/music/industry areas..if you have the will and energy you will do nicely..

just one wolfs opinion of moonlight..
    Last edited by wolflen; 12-08-2015 at 02:14 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wolflen
    hardly any landmarks I remember still around..used to play at a place in venice called the "comeback inn" a nice fun place..it was a "pass the hat" kind of deal..but some name players would show up from time to time and some great local bands would play some sets..

Oh man I miss the Comeback Inn it was great. Very small, but you could sit outside and still hear the music just as well. I played there some on the early days when it was mainly a Blues joint. Later hung out listening to Wayne Johnson trio, Billy Childs, Sam Moore, and many many more. So sad when they closed they got tired of fighting the the residential neightbors behind the club.

Do you remember the Free Jazz club that was down the street for awhile it was call Aziz or like that. I couldn't charge but had a suggested donation to go in. A typical night someone would get up to played and over the course of the night other musicians would joint and leave, but the music wouldn't stop.

There was another club that was on the boardwalk for a couple years, I remember going to see Ted Dunbar at. They had some other good Jazz but boardwalk got to dangerous at night and it closed up.

There was a lot of music in that area till the Marina started moving north.

User Info Menu

Oh man I miss the Comeback Inn it was great. Very small, but you could sit outside and still hear the music just as well. I played there some on the early days when it was mainly a Blues joint. Later hung out listening to Wayne Johnson trio, Billy Childs, Sam Moore, and many many more. So sad when they closed they got tired of fighting the the residential neightbors behind the club.

Do you remember the Free Jazz club that was down the street for awhile it was call Aziz or like that. I couldn't charge but had a suggested donation to go in. A typical night someone would get up to played and over the course of the night other musicians would joint and leave, but the music wouldn't stop.

yes the AZZ IZZ saw a woman playing the flute with a guy on a stand up bass..blew my mind..it impressed me to this day..and down the street was a guy named john who opened his house to musicians and I would play there .. there was a coffee house/restaurant..the brandywine café on Lincoln near venice where I worked..met a lot of musicians and show people - some now famous..had a harp player on sundays..I played with a sax player who was a cook there..what a time that was..

doc..perhaps we met in passing .. wish there were places like that today..easy access to play..a club like the ones above..could not survive in this economic climate with out a heavy cover and drink mins..ahh success..you took all the fun away

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wolflen
    yes the AZZ IZZ saw a woman playing the flute with a guy on a stand up bass..blew my mind..it impressed me to this day..and down the street was a guy named john who opened his house to musicians and I would play there .. there was a coffee house/restaurant..the brandywine café on Lincoln near venice where I worked..met a lot of musicians and show people - some now famous..had a harp player on sundays..I played with a sax player who was a cook there..what a time that was..

doc..perhaps we met in passing .. wish there were places like that today..easy access to play..a club like the ones above..could not survive in this economic climate with out a heavy cover and drink mins..ahh success..you took all the fun away

I loved the food at Brandywine didn't know they had music. We probably did meet at some point. Thanks for the memories.