Reply to Thread
Posts 1 to 19 of 19

User Info Menu

Anyone in the area care to jam? I'm a novice and know basic jazz chords but don't have mean chops or anything. I can sing and play, but I've found I'm much better doing one or the other, for the time being at least.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan View Post
    Sorry about the brevity of the post. I was in an awful hurry.

But if you live close to Frisco, Texas, and you are interested in playing Jazz, this group of "true believers" can be a gateway to bigger things. They are a good bunch, although I have not been to their new location up in Frisco, Texas. It is apparently tied to a school of music, and you could probably really get your groove on with the contacts you make.

Some play at the regular weekly Jazz jams at Sandaga 813 and at the Scat Jazz Lounge. Others graduated from the University of North Texas, which is right up the street from them.

If I had the time, I would full indulge myself with them, but the travel distance is too far and my available time, much too short.

Good luck to you, Amigo.

Here is a map so that you can see where it is situated in the tangled web of highways that make up the DFW Metroplex Area:
    https://www.google.com/maps/place/Fr...bddcb021fc240a

User Info Menu

Hey thanks for the lead on the jam sessions in Frisco! I won't be able to make it tonight but I am definitely going to try to make it out there at the next one. I'm an hour away from Frisco but I am willing to make the drive, it seems as though it will be a great benefit to me.

I think I'll try to make it to Scat or Sandaga this weekend and check out the scene.

If you happen to find time enough to spare the travel, I'm in south DFW. PM if you'd care to jam or have some accompaniment to Scats or something.

User Info Menu

PM to come a little later, thanks..

User Info Menu

I'm glad someone asked this! I live in Dallas and am fairly new to jazz too. I'd love to find others in the area to jam with and learn from.

User Info Menu

Same boat here in Houston. Anyone willing to let a newbie to Jazz sit in and listen/learn?

User Info Menu

Sounds of crickets chirping on an eerily quiet night.......

User Info Menu

Sorry for the underwhelming response Al...

I think I'll go tonight fellas. I hope to see some of you guys there!

User Info Menu

Not a problem. I just figured that those who used to come out to the clubs to listen to us back in Jersey must have moved here. Have fun.

User Info Menu

Just in case anyone was wondering, the jam session was really neat and will prove to aide me in studying jazz guitar. I hope to see some people from this board out there. I've got to work on sight reading these chord changes now...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Thecytochromec View Post
    Just in case anyone was wondering, the jam session was really neat and will prove to aide me in studying jazz guitar. I hope to see some people from this board out there. I've got to work on sight reading these chord changes now...
    I am so happy you were able to take advantage of this great opportunity. Many on this forum do not have it in their area and instead, have to play alone or go through the trouble of tracking down suitable players.

It has been at least a year and a half since I attended. Other priorities have me under their thumb to it will be awhile before the "stars align" for me. Shame isn't it?

But you and others have this opportunity. Who knows how long it will be around.

I always regret that I did not get the number of this one fellow with a gorgeous Ibanez semi-hollow guitar. He seemed to be at or around my competency level and appeared to be a mellow fellow.

Congratulations, again.

User Info Menu

Been going to the Jazz jams in Frisco, those have been really helpful.

There's also a legit Jazz Jam at The Balcony Club on Wednesday Nights. It's pretty hardcore, in that they call song titles without lead sheets and pick a random key to play it in. I'm going to frequent both.

User Info Menu

Been going to the Jazz jams in Frisco, those have been really helpful.

There's also a legit Jazz Jam at The Balcony Club on Wednesday Nights. It's pretty hardcore, in that they call song titles without lead sheets and pick a random key to play it in. I'm going to frequent both.
    You rule!!

User Info Menu

BUMP

Another jam this Friday.

User Info Menu

I thought I'd add to this.

There's still the Jazz Jam at the Balcony Club on Wednesday nights.

There's also a Jam at Scats on Sundays

User Info Menu

I thought I'd add to this.

There's still the Jazz Jam at the Balcony Club on Wednesday nights.

There's also a Jam at Scats on Sundays
    Thanks for the heads up. I will keep this in mind for sure.

User Info Menu

I'm NW of Ft.Worth and a true novice at this although I can play some jazz chords I'm not at all good at comping to them. Too many years playing acoustic and rock music. But…if anyone is in my neck of the woods and wants to start somewhere…..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan View Post
    Just reminding other players in the area where to meet for a begginer-friendly jam. There are other jams in the area but I think this is my favorite environment to learn in that I've encountered so far.