Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

Just wondering.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Just across the river, Grimsby, Ontario

User Info Menu

This is no help if you're looking for someone to jam and study with since I'm not from there, but my parents were from Niagra Falls. I grew up in Albany, but spent the first 20 years of my life frequently (and occasionally since then) visiting relatives out there. My dad played tenor many years ago when he still lived there and he had cousins and friends who were jazz players. His cousin Ron Corsaro is a piano player and I believe is still active.

User Info Menu

I'm always looking for another place to move and remember back in the 70's there were a lot of musicians that lived in Buffalo is that not the case any more? What about Albany is there Jazz going on there?
    No, I'm not going to give you the answer to your question. I don't want to deny you the pleasure you'll receive when you figure it out yourself. -- Bill Evans talking to his brother.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docbop View Post
    I'm always looking for another place to move and remember back in the 70's there were a lot of musicians that lived in Buffalo is that not the case any more? What about Albany is there Jazz going on there?
    I moved out of Albany over 14 years ago but I'm only an hour south. Not exactly in the loop, but I imagine there's still a pretty decent scene in my old home town. There have been some great players over the years. This site has some info about players, venues, etc:

a l b a n y j a z z . c o m

Someone once described Albany, NY as being very average and that does kind of capture it. Not the most boring place on the planet, but not mind-bendingly exciting either.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MattC View Post
    I moved out of Albany over 14 years ago but I'm only an hour south. Not exactly in the loop, but I imagine there's still a pretty decent scene in my old home town. There have been some great players over the years. This site has some info about players, venues, etc:

a l b a n y j a z z . c o m

Someone once described Albany, NY as being very average and that does kind of capture it. Not the most boring place on the planet, but not mind-bendingly exciting either.
    Thanks I was in Albany a couple times visiting an old buddy, but didn't see much of the city. Right now where I live is mindingly boring so Albany would be like a party town in comparison.
    No, I'm not going to give you the answer to your question. I don't want to deny you the pleasure you'll receive when you figure it out yourself. -- Bill Evans talking to his brother.

User Info Menu

Here's another good resource for jazz in the Capitol Region (Albany area) and beyond (an hour or two away).

A Place for Jazz

One thing I always loved about Albany (not necessarily directly music-related) is that it is only 3 hours away from the NYC, but also just a couple hours away from the Adirondack high peaks (I love woods, mountains and the outdoors about as much as music). It's also a few hours from Boston.So even when Albany gets a little boring, at least you can get to other places fairly quickly.

If you are really seriously considering moving to Albany (or anywhere in Eastern New York State) at any point, post or pm and I'll see what else I can turn up.

Oh, btw, apologies to the OP. Sorry if we've derailed your thread a little.

User Info Menu

If you're looking to do a duo gig with a double bassist, you might look up Ed Woods; I think he lives on Delaware Ave and is one of the last guys from the '70s jazz scene that I know is still living/working/playing in Buffalo.

BTW, Albany is one cold-assed place in the winter.
    Last edited by ah.clem; 11-03-2015 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Typo
    "Talent is a pursued interest; anything that you're willing to practice, you can do." - Bob Ross

This is no help if you're looking for someone to jam and study with since I'm not from there, but my parents were from Niagra Falls. I grew up in Albany, but spent the first 20 years of my life frequently (and occasionally since then) visiting relatives out there. My dad played tenor many years ago when he still lived there and he had cousins and friends who were jazz players. His cousin Ron Corsaro is a piano player and I believe is still active.
    Yes he is, I have heard him.

I pass through a couple of times a year on Amtrak. Would love to get off and visit the capital building.