Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 32 of 32

User Info Menu

I've opened a space in Boston, MA for jazz/improvisational musicians to share. Open to the public, it's a storefront for a custom guitar shop that will serve as a meeting and playing space several nights a week.
    It's my idea to gather musicians of all levels, professional to beginners and share in materials, discussions, stories, questions, answers, listening to recordings and performances, workshops/clinic type visits, and regular playing on the instrument.
    I have always believed that the best way to learn guitar was to spend time with others in a no pressure situation sharing what we love best. So this is a space and time to do just that.
    One night a week we'll focus on, but not necessarily limit ourselves to the art of the duo.
    Another night we'll work and play with group improvisational and multidisciplinary arts. All with the end goal of getting the most out of playing the guitar.
    It's free and open to the public. It's not a jam or a cutting session. It's a way to meet and share conversations with and about the music. I'm right on Westland Avenue in Boston and anyone in the area is welcome to be a part of this. Students, professionals, the curious, the adventurous and the beginners are what make up this scene.
    Post on this thread or PM me privately and I can tell you more. There's a house concert vibe, or think guitar lounge. Hope it's a source of inspiration.
    David
    Last edited by TruthHertz; 01-18-2015 at 12:37 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Sounds fantastic.
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

"Jazz is like life...it goes on longer than you think, and as soon as you're like 'oh, I get it,' it ends."

--The Ghost of Duke Ellington

User Info Menu

Wow! I did not know you had such an entreprenurial spirit, Dave.

Best wished to you and your soon-to-be collective of like-minded musicians. 2015 could be a very big year for you.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
    Sounds fantastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan View Post
    Wow! I did not know you had such an entreprenurial spirit, Dave.

Best wished to you and your soon-to-be collective of like-minded musicians. 2015 could be a very big year for you.
    Thanks! It's exciting. No I hate being an entrepreneur, but even more I hate thinking something great can be and nobody else is doing it so nestled in the street between 3 great music schools and 2 art schools I am blessed.
    Before I ever went to music school, I'd had decades of knowing, learning and experiencing the hows and whys of music; from those friends that were making it. I made guitars because the best instruments are waiting to be built. Music school was a place that waited while I collected knowledge from musicians sharing. Hanging, having talks over dinner, before and after the set, in the car. This was rich knowledge. This is a good way to learn.
    So I make guitars for musicians now, I have mine, and they're built for a musician's discriminating ears and a jazz musician's nonexistant budget. I built a store that's got guitars anybody can play all day, borrow for a week and remember without a single mention of sales. I hope I'm not doomed but I'm going to have a great time in the mean while.
    Hope 2015's a great year for everyone.
    David

User Info Menu

Wow. That sounds ideal. Good luck with it, and let us know how things go.
    "Learn the repertoire. It’s all in the songs. If you learn 200 songs, you will have no problem improvising."
    Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

Looks like a really great idea.
    Wish you all the best
    Make a jazz noise here

User Info Menu

That's great hope I get a chance to visit.
    No, I'm not going to give you the answer to your question. I don't want to deny you the pleasure you'll receive when you figure it out yourself. -- Bill Evans talking to his brother.

User Info Menu

Noble, David-

What is the name of your store?

Welcoming Boston Improvisors: New space to meet and play-photo-jpg

It's called Westland Music. It's run more like a guitar lounge where people can come check out and play simply for the pleasure of playing. Come by with friends and play tunes, work out a new way to look at Stella, whatever... This ipicture s a part of the "Guitar Library" and students or regulars can borrow an instrument to find out what a particular pickup really sounds like, or do I want a 15" or a 17", or form for themselves some kind of baseline for a guitar they might want to buy someday. We make custom instruments but they're some really top quality instruments that we sell to students and performers so they can play their best and get the great deal. Heh, it's owned and run by Berklee and NEC grads. What do you expect?

David

User Info Menu

Man, if I weren't a 4 hour bus ride away I'd love to come check it out. I've lately been more into improvisational/creative/free music than the whole tunes thing, so it sounds great. Do you know Joe Morris? He teaches at NEC, definitely my favorite free guitarist. You should try to get in touch with him and have him do something there.

User Info Menu

David. This sounds incredible but far from Brooklyn.
    Who's gonna step up and make something like this happen in NYC?
    Wishful thinking.

User Info Menu

Yep, NYC needs it too. Maybe there is already something like that happening, though, and I just don't know.

User Info Menu

NYC is a big place. Many nooks and crevices where magic happens.

We'll be meeting this Tuesday again. It's going well. Everyone is more than welcome. Of course in addition to the friendly hang, playing free improve and looking at a piece for the week, I thought we'd discuss and take a look at an interesting topic this week: Chord voicing.

Mick was talking to me about different types of harmonies, functional, non functional harmonies of texture and using dissonance and consonance in the flow of chords. He gave me a chart of varying dissonances and consonant structures that he had passed on to him from arranger Herb Pomeroy. He uses these rules in assembling chord vocabularies and I thought it'd be fun as a group to look at ways of thinking of these guidelines to construct chords, try out different ways of chording and open up one way of thinking about comping. A collective chord construction workshop of sorts.

Maybe we'll do this, but a nice discussion on how we look at the job of comping, what's important, and to work as a group would be good either way.
    I look forward to seeing whoever feels like dropping by.

Tuesday 6-8:30
    David

User Info Menu

Best of luck with your venture, David! I'm over an hour and a half from Boston so I cannot get there at that hour. But it certainly sounds interesting and fun.

Jay

Anybody around and up for a musical hang in Boston, we are meeting tonight. Looking at inside and outside treatments of song form and just having fun throwing around musical ideas. Tonight 6-8 drop in anytime at the Westland place.
    David

Renewing the open door welcome to anyone of any level to come join us at Westland tonight and every Tuesday evening. It seems there's always been a mysterious transformation from playing "the right notes" to making music. I thought we'd throw that out as a topic of discussion from veterans to novices to share some thoughts on the Why of note choice. Big topic, and maybe one that'll be best answered in playing and good company sharing ideas.

Come by Westland music if you're around Boston and would like a fun hang for a few hours tonight. 6-8. Free. Open to all. Comfortable space and here for the curious. Play in the guitar library. Some nice jazz boxes to try out too.
    David

I want to renew the invitation for any Boston area guitarists/improvisors who are free on Tuesday evenings and want to play, discuss, work on and have fun with others.
    This evening we'll continue our ongoing discussion on The Transition from Notes to Music, phrasing, options in phrase beginnings and endings. We'll also discuss and work on strategies for effective and imaginative ways to get off book quickly and looking at form in improvisation.
    I'll be there from 5 to work on specifics with anyone, and the group meets 6-8. 54b Westland Ave.
    As always, we'll focus on duo dynamics and free improvisation and everyone is welcome. We have participants at all levels and a lot to share with one another.

David

User Info Menu

Great news David. I'm arriving NYC on the 23rd so will try and get up to Boston for the 28th.
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzism View Post
    Great news David. I'm arriving NYC on the 23rd so will try and get up to Boston for the 28th.
    cheers
    While you're in town next Monday, don't miss Jerry Bergonzi's quintet at the LilyPad in Cambridge. Hits at 8:30 and you'll be treated to some of the best jazz in the world.
    Have fun!
    David

Tonight in Boston, I've got the Westland doors open. Free improvisation, discussion and duos exploring the chord change to the lyric line. A nice conversation on how different players interpret a chord symbol and make it into music.
    Bring a guitar, or use one from the guitar library. If we've got time, we may start on a Hoagy Carmichael tune; look at song form and phrases and how to get a tune off book.
    All are welcome!
    David

Hey anyone in, around or visiting Boston- There's a place to come, hang, play, play with guitars, and talk about all things guitar (not so much gear...that's too much like the presidential debates ) and all improvising guitarists of all levels are most welcome. A variety of guitars is available so just come if you want.
    Come by today if you've got the time, I'm excited to be continuing our "search for meaning in sound" activities. I thought we'd spend a few minutes exploring the meaning of one note as it interacts with a triad. I thought this could be a nice way to look at saying something with the essential minimum. Then we'll play. Hang. Discuss. Take a look at a piece you want to work on. Write a little piece for yourself. It's all there for the doing.
    I'm around pretty much anytime afternoon, and the group gathering somewhere from 6-8.

David

Boston is crazy with new faces, students and residents. If any of you are around the Symphony hall area, would like to drop by for a nice guitar related hang, all are welcome to the Tuesday night 6-8 gatherings.
    Tonight I thought we might look at creating phrases within the space of a thought, and then over a small group of chords.
    This should help bring a sense of breathing, of centering and meaning to a solo, and make it easier to see a composition as more than changes on a page.
    As usual, we'll go wherever the questions lead and all are more than welcome to contribute thoughts and mysteries.
    Come by...guitars available for use too.
    David

User Info Menu

meaningful phrasing, using space as a conscious part of the line...

Danggit, why can't you all live in NYC. I know, Yankees... don't worry I hate baseball and when there's traffic on the Deeg... I hate the Yankees too (don't tell anyone )

Quote Originally Posted by Irez87 View Post
    meaningful phrasing, using space as a conscious part of the line...

Danggit, why can't you all live in NYC. I know, Yankees... don't worry I hate baseball and when there's traffic on the Deeg... I hate the Yankees too (don't tell anyone )
    Ha. I don't follow sports, I just resent the crowds that make travel impossible. New York. I love New York but Boston allows me to do these kinds of things, informal gatherings to play and discuss music with working musicians and students hanging out in the same space.
    Just the other night a local club had a late night set and Joe Lovano and Kenny Werner sat in unannounced.
    If you're ever in Boston, drop by
    David

For anyone in the Boston area tomorrow afternoon, I'm concluding a two week improvisational workshop we held at Westland with an informal discussion, Q&A on the topic of guitar duo playing.
    It'll be held Mon, Martin Luther King holiday, at 3PM at the Westland Music location, it's free and anyone around is welcome.
    The guest will be Mick Goodrick, veteran duo partner with Joe Diorio, Jim Hall, Wolfgang Muthspiel, Pat Metheny and more. He'll talk about the different approaches he's had working with different players, comping, soloing considerations and anything anyone'd like to ask.
    Do feel free to stop by and bring any curiosities about anything from song material to chord voicing... touring to studio...
    It should be fun and it's free at three. Westland Music 54B Westland Ave, Boston.

David

User Info Menu

Hi David,

I'm a Boston local and saw this post from last year.. Just wondering if you're still conducting jam session/instructional activities, and what the typical schedule may be.

Thanks,

Sam

Quote Originally Posted by sbeishline View Post
    Hi David,

I'm a Boston local and saw this post from last year.. Just wondering if you're still conducting jam session/instructional activities, and what the typical schedule may be.

Thanks,

Sam
    Hi Sam
    Yes it's going strong. Every Tuesday from 6-8 we focus on duo and small group ideas. Wednesdays we work with free improvisational and compositional things. Thursday is an art life drawing session with live model and live music.
    And it's open to anyone with imagination looking for a way to express it.
    David

User Info Menu

Sounds Good.

User Info Menu

Hi David,

I'm a student in the area and remember seeing your place last spring... are you still open?

Thanks,
    M

User Info Menu

Yup! Same schedule as 3 posts above when I inquired about it (except no 1st Wednesday of the month).

Cheers.

New Year, start of a new round of gatherings at Westland Music.
    For any guitarists in the Boston area, I will be hosting gatherings twice every week open to all interested and all levels.
    Tuesdays evenings are devoted to the art of improvisation, developing listening, vocabulary, recognition and playing skills through improvisations in the duo and trio format. We play around with free improvisation, forms that we agree on and how they can be used on standards and composing. It's relaxed and it's truly a great way to expand your perceptions.

Wednesdays are tune/duo night. You can bring a buddy, find new friends or just come and try out playing duo on any tune. It's just really nice to play, it's the best way to get better, and with people listening, encouraging and offering thoughts, it's a great way to get to know your own style.

Thursdays the space is a venue for figure drawing and music. PM me if you're interested in art/music/the places they meet. I collect a model's fee on Thursdays.

So anyone, students, workers, the curious are welcome. It's right in Back Bay, by Symphony Hall.
    See you there
    David