Jazz Guitar
Learn how to play jazz guitar with our eBook bundle
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Columbia SC

Columbia SC

Probably a longshot ... but would anybody be interested in forming a guitar duo? I am thinking acoustic or light amplification, playing real book tunes and standards as instrumentals (unless you want to sing), perhaps other stuff. Not necessarily for profit ...

Stuff like this:

Last edited by nopedals; 08-26-2014 at 03:29 PM.

O, man, I used to live in Columbia, SC! Most miserable place to spend a summer I've ever been, but I do miss Lizard's Thicket... Best of luck to you finding a partner there.
    "Learn the repertoire. It’s all in the songs. If you learn 200 songs, you will have no problem improvising."
    Frank Vignola

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes View Post
    O, man, I used to live in Columbia, SC! Most miserable place to spend a summer I've ever been, but I do miss Lizard's Thicket... Best of luck to you finding a partner there.
    Same here. Long live the Thicket and long live sweet tea.

I am an unreconstructed yankee and give sweet tea and boiled peanuts a wide berth.

I go to Lizards Thicket when I need to be reminded (or persuaded) of the basic goodness of mankind. The kindness and good manners of the waitresses there can't be described. It must be experienced.

There used to be a bluegrass parlor in West Columbia that hosted a Saturday night jam session. Although this was 20 years ago, its the kind of place, with the kind of people, that would still be around making music together.

I may be interested. Just moved up here. I've been playing jazz got about 25 years, but haven't really played much in the last couple years. Just starting to get back into playing again, and love real book stuff.

You guys in Columbia, SC have a great resource in Bert Ligon---he's a great teacher who has a lot of free pdfs on his faculty website (he teaches at USC---not the one in California, but the one in Columbia) and I suspect he plays around town.

USC JAZZ STUDIES
    "Learn the repertoire. It’s all in the songs. If you learn 200 songs, you will have no problem improvising."
    Frank Vignola

mtburton: pm sent

Check in with Jerry Simms, owns Simms music, jazz player, Berkeley grad, he’ll know somebody.

Plus one for Jerry Sims. I have never had the pleasure of meeting him but I purchased one guitar from him in 2002 and another on his recommendation in 2005. The first found a new and better home after a decade but the second will be with me the rest of my (playing) life. He was extremely friendly and helpful. Good luck!

Join our Facebook Page

Get in Touch

Jazz Guitar eBooks
How To Get a Jazz Guitar Tone?
Privacy Policy

Follow us on:

Jazz Guitar Online on FacebookJazz Guitar Online on TwitterJazz Guitar Online on YoutubeJazz Guitar Online RSS Feed