Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14

User Info Menu

Looking for others that are working through the first two DVDs...

Ideally, I'd like to get a few people together and trade some ideas on the material presented and how you're applying it.

Peace,
    Ben

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I've been thinking about getting these dvd's
    if I do i'll be in touch.

User Info Menu

I have the first DVD, and even bought a set of bongos to use in studying the material. It's been over a year though - I'm not certain where my DVD is anymore!

Thanks for the replies guys....

Fireman, please let me know if you get the DVDs and want to discuss the material. I'll say that the material is presented in a slightly cryptic fashion (in my opinion at least) but it surely has made me reconsider how well I'm feeling the pulse within a given piece of music.

FatJeff, can I ask your opinion of the material? Did you find it helpful with regards to your time feel?

Thanks again for taking the time to reply,
    Ben

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bwashabaugh View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys....

FatJeff, can I ask your opinion of the material? Did you find it helpful with regards to your time feel?

Thanks again for taking the time to reply,
    Ben
    I have to admit that I never took it far enough to have anything pay off. I got the DVD right before I moved from Denver to DC and it's still in storage somewhere. :-(

User Info Menu

Been looking at this stuff in every practice session since late February... My wife even bought a lovely Djembe for my birthday.

Working through DVD 2 atm, dabbled a bit with the 5 stuff on the 3rd DVD, but want to get the other stuff consolidated.

I have DVDs 1, 2 and 3, the sight reading jazz rhythms book and the practice CD.

I've befriended Mike Longo on Facebook, so could PM him some questions - see if he gets back.

I'm a little unsure as to how this stuff should be practiced and what the focus is, when one is ready to move onto DVD3 and so on. Also should one always play the Advanced Polymetric Time exercise (track 3 of the CD) on the drum (which I love as a method of meditation!)? Also is it better to practice the exercises on DVD 2 separately or in one go, or both?

I'm thinking it might be best to catch up with the man himself - I'm planning to head to NY soon...

I have noticed a very different experience subjectively on gigs - much more aware of rhythms and phrasing. I've also noticed from recordings of gigs that my playing seems to get rhythmically 'unstuck' less often - mistakes that I make are still in time, at least in 'eighth note' time. It seems to swing more too. Double time is still a bit out though.

I have also tried teaching the stuff to others (always a good way to learn) and that is REALLY interesting. Mostly the 6/8 pattern, the counting and the 4 exercises on DVD2. Has a transforming effect on one student with a classical background.

After warming up I notice that I find it easier to synchronise to a metronome - even a slow (15bpm) one. I find this surprising given Mike's stance on metronomes!

How's it going for you guys?
    Last edited by christianm77; 05-23-2014 at 04:53 PM.

User Info Menu

No progress...no idea where my CD is, and with my work schedule I"m lucky to get in 30 min a day practice...which I mostly use to do triads. :-)

christianm77,
    Thanks for your reply...

At this stage, I've been focused solely on working with the basic drumming pattern and the 1st "perfect offbeat" exercise...

For me, the drumming stuff has been fun and overall a nice change of pace from my normal practice routine. I'm not sure I've felt any huge change...but then again I've just really begun the journey. If anything, it's made me realize how little I practiced rhythm....so in that sense it's been wonderful.

One thing I've been doing is trying to count the basic drumming pattern in as many ways as possible...I feel like this is the meat of the material...but then again I can't say that for certain....it is a bit cryptic in a way.

One thing I'm really confused with is Mike's "conversion process"(my words) of difficult to play/read from the first DVD...

I'd love to send you a video of what I'm doing....would you be up for an exchange of sorts?

Let me know...
    Benjamin

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bwashabaugh View Post
    christianm77,
    I'd love to send you a video of what I'm doing....would you be up for an exchange of sorts?

Let me know...
    Benjamin
    Definitely - how best to do this?

User Info Menu

Yes, I think so. I've been working at this for around 5-6 months. I'm finding that things seem to be much more locked down when I listen back to recordings of my playing and there's more a feeling of evenness and swing. Not perfect of course!

User Info Menu

I've had the first two DVDs for a while and I've only recently understood (I think) what's going on.

It's the fact that you have the three rhythms (Fig. 2 from he booklet) going on at the sime time in your time conception, i.e. the 6/8 the 3/4 and the 12/8 (which is the normal 4/4 written so it fits nicely with the other two). That is roughly the same as playing 6 against 4 (or 3 against 2 twice) in a normal bar.

What I am not so sure of is why does he play the two low notes on the drums? why is that necessary instead of doing all the notes the same pitch?

How are things with this material folks?

User Info Menu

Aha at last!! Activity on the forum.

Hi Andy,

I think you have described the concept. Longo is keen in all of his materials to stress that rhythm also has a tonality - some notes need to be deep some need to be higher (he talks about the tune 'he beeped when he should have bopped' as describing this phenomenon. I can't think of a better example than Max Roach's drum intro to Caravan
    - listen to the melody of the drums.

I don't think the important thing is to analyse what's going on here. Longo stresses experiential learning. So as a student your main goal, AFAIK, is to execute the examples accurately (taking careful note of articulations and making sure that you place the offbeats right) and then see what this unlocks in your improvisations.

One thing I've found recently is I need to get away from playing licks when improvising on the Exercises on DVD 2 (and DVD 3 for that matter.) Longo's recent article on transcription reminded me of this. I found that I was playing my usual Bb minor vamp material and this was getting away from the rhythm driving the notes idea. I would suggest that one way to approach the exercises to strictly improvise in the mode within one octave (perhaps starting with one note and building up.)

I feel like I'm getting more out of the exercises this way.

User Info Menu

Thanks Christian for your answer!

You make some interesting points. And the video is great!

Regarding your last comment, that makes sense, I have similar experiences myself.

I haven't yet bought the 3rd DVD. I will (hopefully) buy it for myself this Christmas. What exactly is in it?

I recently bought however Longo's book mentioned on that article (The Technique of Creating Harmonic Melody). I will let you guys know how it goes when I get it.

Cheers!

User Info Menu

Yeah I got that book. Just looking through it at the moment.... looking forward to hearing what you think....