Likes Likes:  0
Reply to Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

It looks as though I will be relocating to the Virginia Beach area. So I will need to find some folks to jam with when I get down there.

I anticipate moving in the next month, give or take.
    ...practice is fun

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gravyTrain View Post
    So I will need to find some folks to jam with when I get down there.

I anticipate moving in the next month, give or take.
    I still need to find people to jam with. Hopefully I can join the school jazz band this year... Hope you find some people to jam with also!
    Wes Montgomery anyone?

I remember back when I was in high school, I would just sit in the music room with my acoustic guitar, and it wasn't long before there were a dozen musicians there playing during lunch.

Next year, as soon as shool starts, head there and practice jazz during lunch. THat way you will feel comfortable when the regulars show up.

Just a suggestion.
    ...practice is fun

User Info Menu

I just had to respond to this one. I'm an old resident of Norfolk (Ghent) and VA. Beach...transplanted to San Diego (No. Co.). However I will be relocating back to the Norfolk area in about 2 years...a little later than you...lol. Who knows, maybe we will run into each other. Norfolk has a great Jazz Festival at Town Point Park every year. A couple of clubs you might want to check out:
    1. The Dumbwaiter
    2. Bienville Grill
    ...and there is always Old Dominion University!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gravyTrain View Post
    I remember back when I was in high school, I would just sit in the music room with my acoustic guitar, and it wasn't long before there were a dozen musicians there playing during lunch.

Next year, as soon as shool starts, head there and practice jazz during lunch. THat way you will feel comfortable when the regulars show up.

Just a suggestion.
    Im not even sure I can do that! But ill see if i can and maybe give it a shot once school comes back around. Thanks for the suggestion Gravy.
    Wes Montgomery anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Lynton View Post
    has a great Jazz Festival at Town Point Park every year. A couple of clubs you might want to check out:
    1. The Dumbwaiter
    2. Bienville Grill
    Thanks for the leads -- I expect I will be checking most of these out when they come around

I hope we do cross paths one day. Thanks!
    ...practice is fun

Quote Originally Posted by aPAULo View Post
    Im not even sure I can do that! But ill see if i can and maybe give it a shot once school comes back around. Thanks for the suggestion Gravy.
    Well, schools have become a lot more strict since I was there, but needless to say - if you are taking music, and ask the teacher if you can come in during lunch and practice some guitar pieces, they generally would be happy to let you do that. Once that happens -- the room is yours!! (Well, *yours* being the folks who like like music so much that they are happy to spend their lunch hours jamming!!
    ...practice is fun

User Info Menu

I hope we do meet back in Norfolk...or VA Beach. In regard to the Town Point Jazz Festival, I met Stanley Jordan and Tuck Andress there! It's a great place to go for new talent or to showcase your own.
    I should have also mentioned Norfolk State...great jazz program and a great jazz band as well. They don't take any slackers there...lol. Stay cool and keep jazz alive!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lynton View Post
    I just had to respond to this one. I'm an old resident of Norfolk (Ghent) and VA. Beach...transplanted to San Diego (No. Co.). However I will be relocating back to the Norfolk area in about 2 years...a little later than you...lol. Who knows, maybe we will run into each other. Norfolk has a great Jazz Festival at Town Point Park every year. A couple of clubs you might want to check out:
    1. The Dumbwaiter
    2. Bienville Grill

Bienville Grill closed a few years ago, and I don't think the Dumbwaiter is around anymore either (at least I've never heard of it.)

I'm a drummer, let me know when you get here and we can see about playing a little.

User Info Menu

I will be looking for you Zach. I won't be back there for a couple of years though...it will be a good thing to have a couple of people lined up do do some playing. I do mostly standards...but I'm flexable! The Dumbwaiter used to be on this little side street off Granby Ave. in downtown Norfolk. Sorry to hear about The Bienville Grill...I quess I'll have to find out where the new spots are. Thanks.
    Lynton

User Info Menu

I think the Dumbwaiter's closed now too then. They've done so much renovating downtown lately that everything's new just about. There is a jazz club in Suffolk now, but I haven't been yet. I hadn't gotten around to it yet, but I think I will be going this weekend or next. I'll let you know if its any good.

User Info Menu

I'm sorry to hear that The Dumbwaiter is closed, but downtown needed some renovation. Strange that Suffolk is the home of a jazz club, but times change. I went to high school at Nanesemond-Suffolk Academy! Is anything going on in Virginia Beach?
    Lynton

User Info Menu

Nothing that I know of is going on in Virginia Beach, but nobody really advertises stuff, so its tough to find sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by young.zach View Post
    Nothing that I know of is going on in Virginia Beach, but nobody really advertises stuff, so its tough to find sometimes.
    I just got back from there -- I agree. If there is any cool jazz places I didn't find them(although I will have the next few years to keep trying). Found a great comedy place though, and had a few laughs.
    ...practice is fun

User Info Menu

Well, apparently the topology of Norfolk has changed a great deal since I moved to San Diego. Keep us informed on your quest to find some jazz clubs there. I'll be on that same quest in a couple of years!

User Info Menu

Hampton is an independent city in Virginia,and therefore not part of any Virginia county. One of the Seven Cities of Hampton Roads, it is on the southeast end of the Virginia Peninsula, bordering on Hampton Roads and Chesapeake Bay.
    =================================
    silvester
    Virginia Alcohol Addiction Treatment