Likes Likes:  0
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

Hey everyone, I"ve recently got a job oppurtunity in Boulder and I'm excited and really want to move out there I'm just hesitant about leaving the Detroit music scene. Any body on the forum living out there and know of jam sessions and what people are in to out that way? Thanks, Donovan

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

people are into the mountains and skiing and outdoorsy stuff to the extreme. and weed.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fumblefingers View Post
    people are into the mountains and skiing and outdoorsy stuff to the extreme. and weed.
    1: Fumblefingers is right. Especially Boulder.

2: You live in Detroit, from what I hear a good jazz scene would be the last of my worries. We don't have burnt out buildings, etc.

User Info Menu

Er...bongs and John Denver tunes?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bahnzo View Post
    1: Fumblefingers is right. Especially Boulder.

2: You live in Detroit, from what I hear a good jazz scene would be the last of my worries. We don't have burnt out buildings, etc.
    hahaha of course should have know that was coming. Ain't no town like motown.

User Info Menu

Here's one for you Mastodonovan...two shoe salesmen goes to India to sell some shoes...upon arrival they both realize everyone there wears sandals...one thinks "oh crap" everyone wears sandals no ones gonna buy my shoes and leaves...the other salesman thought "great everyone's wearing sandals their gonna love my shoes" and sold two million pair in a month...I know nothing about Colorado but I've lived in 6 different cities all with a jazz scene to some extent...where ever you go you can count on there being at least ten cats that burn and that there will be jams. Of course some places are better for music than others and few have deep roots like your current city. Boulder has a University with a jazz program so there must be something there...

User Info Menu

University of Northern Colorado in Greeley has one of the top programs in the country, doesn't it? I'd imagine there must be a scene out there if the school's nearby.

User Info Menu

DU has a program too, a nice one. also - a nice hall, and Steinways in practice rooms.

User Info Menu

Boulder music scene is very deep. You just gotta look for it.

User Info Menu

Check out the Colorado Blues Society: Colorado Blues Society - Home

They have a list online of all of the jam sessions in town; where/when/type... They list blues and some jazz sessions.

There is also a free newspaper in town, the "Westword" (Denver News and Events | Westword) that has an entertainment section that you can read online, or pick up a free copy at most restaurants. It also tells who is playing where, and lists many open jams.

I've lived in Denver and played here for 23 years, (and have been playing jazz for over 40 years), and I can tell you that I stay busy. Don't limit yourself to Boulder. It's an interesting "niche" environment; but Denver is only about 30 minutes away, and you'll find much more in Denver and the surrounding areas.

You can find my pages, and calendar at: LadyJazzer - Home

The gig calendar doesn't look very busy right now, but what you don't see is all of the recording and producing work I'm doing...

Having spent nearly a year in Detroit (with my day-job, before I retired from it last year and went back to doing music full-time) I found Detroit to be asleep compared to the Denver/Boulder area. So, have fun...
    You play pretty good--for a girl.