Likes Likes:  0
Reply to Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

I will be heading to Berklee in Fall 2013, and am wondering if there are any musicians (guitarists or not) on this forum that are in that area looking to jam or practice together or go to shows, etc.
    Let me know!

-Nikkos

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Not making light of your request, but, you can't believe how many guitarists there are at Berklee and in Boston, in general! You won't be wanting for company or practice-mates (if you're interested in practicing with other guitarists).

I hope it's an exciting time for you.

User Info Menu

I lived in Boston for a five years and you can't take more than two steps and not run into a guitarist or musicians. Berklee students, street musicians, ex-Berklee students teaching, and many other locals. When I was there lots of music stores and clubs. Boston is an expensive but fun city.
    No, I'm not going to give you the answer to your question. I don't want to deny you the pleasure you'll receive when you figure it out yourself. -- Bill Evans talking to his brother.

User Info Menu

@M-ster - What do you mean "You won't be wanting for company or practice-mates"? I don't understand that sentence.

User Info Menu

He means that if you want guitarist company or guitarists to practice with, you won't be disappointed as they are in high supply.
    Oh, hi - if interested, I post a lot of playing/practice clips at www.instagram.com/JakeEstner

User Info Menu

I'm always up for music. I also know my way around the system there, and I know some nice people. Let me know when you're here. Contact me in a private message on this group and let me know your email. Have fun
    David

User Info Menu

I think there's more guitarists per square mile than anywhere else in US besides Nashville.
    Last edited by cosmic gumbo; 04-01-2013 at 02:44 AM.

User Info Menu

Hey Nikkos,
    I'am going to Berklee this fall as well!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JakeAcci View Post
    He means that if you want guitarist company or guitarists to practice with, you won't be disappointed as they are in high supply.
    Yes, exactly.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Nikkorico_03 View Post
    I will be heading to Berklee in Fall 2013, and am wondering if there are any musicians (guitarists or not) on this forum that are in that area looking to jam or practice together or go to shows, etc.
    Let me know!

-Nikkos
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    Hey Nikkos,
    I'am going to Berklee this fall as well!
    Nikkos and Harrison-
    You're going to find a lot of guitarists in Boston, and you're going to find a lot of people with guitars-not all of those can play. That means you may have to look to find good ones you can be challenged by or enjoy playing with. That's a nice thing about a big school, you know there are a lot of people there, but you have to find them.
    When Kurt (another guitar player who went to Berklee) was there, he used to knock on doors where he heard music and ask if he could sit in. He did that all the time. People don't seem to do that anymore. But if you're good, and people know it, they will be looking for you.
    So spend the time between now and then really getting some good skills together, good time, good reading chops and start to get serious about harmony and theory. If you walk in the door at Berklee and expect to learn everything there, yeah, you can do that, but you may spend a couple of years doing that; 2 years of your precious time getting your fundamentals in Harmony, Ear Training, Arranging and basic computer app chops. The more you know when you arrive, the more you will test out of.
    If you want to know what you can study now, ask on this forum. Many have been through the program.

When you arrive, your first week will be placement auditions. If you can do a really good musical/harmonic analysis of a chart, if you can hear and identify intervals and chord qualities, if you can make an arrangement for instrumental writing, if you can sight read well with syncopation, rhythms, etc... you can save yourself 2 years of stock foundational classes.
    You can get into the good ensembles, the ones you meet the good players in, get private lessons with the best teachers of your choice, and begin finding good friends that you can make music with. You get a rating from these auditions. The higher you are your first week, the further you'll move in the high level circles. The best players I've known didn't need Berklee when they started-they used it to make connections and friendships, to play more and all the time. They got gigs before they graduated.

Much of the criticism I've seen of big music schools (a lot of it on this forum) involves the reputation that is formed by people that have not made it to the tops of the classes. Low rankings will not open many doors. The system will keep you where you want to be. You want to have a fun time and party, no problem. You want to be really good and learn from the best teachers, get as far up as you can THE FIRST WEEK.

If you want advice on good teachers to seek out, who to try to study with when they ask you to chose a private teacher, contact me in a private message. I might throw some names out depending on what your style is. Don't waste time with a teacher that will show you things you don't want to know.

That's a little advice I can give you at this point anyway.
    You'll have fun!
    David

User Info Menu

Really appreciate such in-dept info and thank you for taking the time to type and share this information!Well I got placed into the diploma program because of my low GPA grades hence I would really need to work hard and prove myself during the first semester at Berklee in order to get back to the degree program.