Reply to Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

I'm located in North Jersey, essex cty
    Ken

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Still looking

User Info Menu

Try craigslist. I went from not being able to find anyone at all to play with for 5 or 6 years to being in a gigging jazz quartet. Should be easy in Jersey.

I have been on craigslist for years , i was in a little trio fews yrs ago, but it fell apart. Why is it so fing hard to find jazz musicians that want to either form band or jam.

User Info Menu

That sucks. Have you tried posting an ad every week? It took me a little bit of time, but it eventually worked for me and I am in an area where there is very little jazz happening. It is hard though. What can we do? We like a form of music that just isn't that popular these days.

User Info Menu

Heck, I live in Chicago and I have a tough time...that's why I'm a solo act, for the most part

It's tough...jazz is tough music...the ones who are really good are pros and aren't looking on c-list for a band, the ones who lie and say they play jazz but can't get through "All of Me" are plentiful, and the rest of us...well...there's just not many of us...
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

"Jazz is like life...it goes on longer than you think, and as soon as you're like 'oh, I get it,' it ends."

--The Ghost of Duke Ellington

User Info Menu

Seriously? In Chicago it is hard to find anyone to play with between the extremes of a full-time pro jazz player and someone who can't play All of Me? I'm glad I don't live there then!

i post every week on craigslist, once in a while i get a guitarplayer that wants to jam. Not sure where all the jazz people are hiding

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rick5 View Post
    Seriously? In Chicago it is hard to find anyone to play with between the extremes of a full-time pro jazz player and someone who can't play All of Me? I'm glad I don't live there then!
    Maybe I'm being a little dramatic...but we have a lot of really good players here competing for very few gigs--they're not looking for casual jamming...real pros...and a lot of craigslist posters are just lonely or something, it seems...I've had enough bad experiences that I don't look for jazz players there anymore.
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

"Jazz is like life...it goes on longer than you think, and as soon as you're like 'oh, I get it,' it ends."

--The Ghost of Duke Ellington

User Info Menu

Maybe it varies by location? Here in Virginia Beach, there are only a handful of top jazz players with national reputations, and only one jazz club. There are two really excellent piano players, a couple of really excellent bass players, and a couple of really excellent drummers. That's about the extent of the pro jazz scene here. That's probably why I have had luck with C-list. There are other places that have some jazz, but the (very) small number of top guys don't play there. I've been fortunate enough to put together a group and get some paid gigs. If there was more competition here, I am sure I'd be locked out of that scene. Take care.

Still looking to jam in New Jersey
    Ken