Likes Likes:  0
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 31 of 31
    I'm a female singer who wants to sing both soul and jazz songs, so I'm starting my own soul band AND jazz band.

For the soul band, I want to do both classic soul and new soul; think a band that does classic songs by artists like Aretha (obviously songs like "Think" and "Respect", but also "House That Jack Built" and "Ain't No Way", Bill Withers ('Ain't No Sunshine", "Grandma's Hands") and Etta James ("At Last", "All I Could Do Was Cry"), as well as new songs by singers like Amy Winehouse "Rehab", "Tears Dry On Their Own"), Ceelo (or, rather, his songs of the "F*ck You" variety), Duffy ("Mercy") and other similar artists. I need drums, piano, horns (sax and trumpet), guitar/bass, and other lead/background vocalists.

I also want to form a Jazz trio/quartet to perform at restaurants, bars and lounges around the city. I am looking for a talented pianist (with his/her own keyboard), bassist and drummer (with own drums) to join me. I'm interested in doing jazz standards by Ella, Billie and others, some soul songs (like the ones above) and some old school pop (think Motown or even classic Stevie Wonder-type pop).

I'd like to begin with cover songs, but am open to incorporating original tunes, too. I'm looking for talented musicians who are interested in performing this kind of music, too, and who want to take it seriously. I plan to perform gigs around the city, expand to paid gigs like weddings and other events, and would love for the band to eventually record. I sing by ear, and need musicians who can do the same to speed up the pace of learning music. (It's best if you can play by ear rather than read music as we won't typically use sing sheet music to practice or perform.)

I want to start gigging ASAP, so if you think you could be an asset to either of these groups, contact me! Thanks!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Any continent in particular?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by brandisouldband View Post
    I sing by ear, and need musicians who can do the same to speed up the pace of learning music. (It's best if you can play by ear rather than read music as we won't typically use sing sheet music to practice or perform.)
    That's kind of funny.

You know it's really easy to "sing by ear", that's what every human on earth can do (given they sing at all).

I think what you're actually saying is you don't read music, and don't have a musical education. That's not a good position to be in if you want to be a band leader.

Seriously, you need a location and you need to link to a youtube video of yourself singing. If you are really excellent maybe then you'll get a response.
    Last edited by fep; 01-06-2011 at 10:33 AM.

User Info Menu

I'm available for the jazz combo stuff near 41 53' 39" N, 87 37' 26" W and general surrounding area.

User Info Menu

I am looking for a talented pianist (with his/her own keyboard), bassist and drummer (with own drums) to join me
    WTF?

User Info Menu

You want to play jazz but you don't read music? Good luck with that.

User Info Menu

Available, have drums, at Latitude : 48.48 Longitude : -0.48. PM for rates...
    Have a nice day

Dad3353 (Douglas...)

User Info Menu

This is just too funny. So much detail in the ad, but so much important information is missing (and still not re-edited by the poster).

I believe that the post is in the NYC area becuase the same post is listed word for word on newyork.craigslist.org.

User Info Menu

I plan to perform gigs around the city, expand to paid gigs like weddings and other events,
    If it's NYC then she's got this part right. All those Village joint's like Kenny's and the Bitter End don't pay unless you bring a ton of people.

I played a bar on Restaurant Row once that was PACKED all night. They paid us $16 and a beer. When I asked what was up with that and reminded them the deal was a dollar a head they told me that all those people were their 'regular customers' and that they couldn't charge their customers $1 for entertainment.

The place had quite a clientele of people getting drunk their. I remember this famous comedian standing in front of the bandstand drunk out of his mind in a tux and me thinking he was going to hurl all over our equipment. I swore after that night that I would never play another scam NYC club without a contract

User Info Menu

Italy?

User Info Menu

way out in the Appenines near Avellino, Italy? Didn't think so. Ahhh...

User Info Menu

this is funny, maybe a mass e- mail

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FatJeff View Post
    You want to play jazz but you don't read music? Good luck with that.

Erroll Garner couldn't read music.

course, he was probably a genius.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by markf View Post
    Erroll Garner couldn't read music.

course, he was probably a genius.
    If this person can prove that she sings as well as Erroll Garner could play, then maybe there's a chance.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FatJeff View Post
    If this person can prove that she sings as well as Erroll Garner could play, then maybe there's a chance.

User Info Menu

I'll do the gig via skype!

User Info Menu

I'm a female singer who wants to sing both soul and jazz songs, so I'm starting my own soul band AND jazz band.
    Youth is wasted on the EXTREMELY young.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW400 View Post
    I played a bar on Restaurant Row once that was PACKED all night. They paid us $16 and a beer. When I asked what was up with that and reminded them the deal was a dollar a head they told me that all those people were their 'regular customers' and that they couldn't charge their customers $1 for entertainment.
    One "gig" I got called for there was backing up some cabaret act with a guy on piano and a girl singer doing schtick and singing standards. He was the leader and got my number from someone; said it didn't pay but it would be good exposure. I told him if I needed exposure I'd play my guitar naked in the Port Authority Bus Terminal at which point people would throw thousands at me just to get me to stop. Needless to say I didn't do that job.

Any other work I've ever done on the row I've told them up front what I get regardless of the club's deal with them or whatever. I've gotten paid every time, usually somewhere in the $75 to $100 range. Not great, not terrible.
    Last edited by paynow; 01-12-2011 at 01:15 PM.
    Barney Kessel was asked, “What’s the hardest thing about studio work?” He replied, “Finding a parking place.”
    "I don't know what other people are doing - I just know about me."- Thelonious Monk

The OP made me snort coffee out of my nose.

Even if she's going to memorize the tunes, it's still faster to use leadsheets for the bass player and pianist - because I'm guessing she sings things in some odd keys.

It would also make it easier to deal with subs and/or frequent turnover of band members.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dad3353 View Post
    Available, have drums, at Latitude : 48.48 Longitude : -0.48. PM for rates...
    @Dad3353 - according to Google maps, that puts you in a hedgerow somewhere to the west of Alencon. I know drummers have to practice in some crazy places, but.....
    Have no secrets, hear no lies.

User Info Menu

If there's a bustle in your hedgerow, don't be alarmed now...
    Build bridges, not walls.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles View Post
    If there's a bustle in your hedgerow, don't be alarmed now...
    Would that be done by the soul band or the jazz band?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stackabones View Post
    Would that be done by the soul band or the jazz band?
    Zappa, of course!

Build bridges, not walls.

User Info Menu

Surely, the Rolf Harris version is definitive !

Last edited by newsense; 01-12-2011 at 05:47 PM.

User Info Menu

Zappa!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by newsense View Post
    @Dad3353 - according to Google maps, that puts you in a hedgerow somewhere to the west of Alencon. I know drummers have to practice in some crazy places, but.....
    Good evening, newsense...
    You couldn't have got it more right..!

...and, yes, that's indeed the idea; I can (and do...) play drums, or bass, or guitar, without disturbing anyone. Do I get the job now..? Can you read my car number plate? Next time you're around, drop in for a cup of tea (that goes for most of you all, too...).
    Last edited by Dad3353; 01-12-2011 at 06:42 PM.
    Have a nice day

Dad3353 (Douglas...)

User Info Menu

I apologise for my unnatural curiosity into the geograhical location of forum members - but it did somehow shift the topic of the thread onto Stairway to Heaven (- thanks BDLH !).

So here's another, more guitar-centric version for your delectation:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GodinFan View Post
    I'm guessing she sings things in some odd keys.
    Heard her wheelhouse is just flat of anything.

ummmmm. city/country/planet? i might be interested if you are anywhere near me.
    Montana

User Info Menu

Dear Brandisouldband...
    I've not heard from you since posting my availability back in June. Is there a problem..? I've been rehearsing your repertoire ever since (no, not by reading music, let me assure you, I took your advice and learned to play it all by ear...). Please advise as to dates etc, as I will have to confirm travel arrangements (and please indicate which continent, as requested in another post; things would be so much easier to plan...).
    I'm not used to dealing with time wasters, so I would appreciate having your confirmation of engagement so that I may finalise the contracts with my lawyer, for your signature.
    Thanks in advance for a swift reply, failing which I shall take alternative offers which I have so far kept on hold.
    Meanwhile...
    Have a nice day
    Dad3353
    Have a nice day

Dad3353 (Douglas...)

User Info Menu

Just got to seeing this thread - it's hysterical.

User Info Menu

Reading through the requirements to join that band, she would probably be the one to get kicked out of it.