The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 41 of 41

User Info Menu

Thanks Matt,

That's helpful.

How does the Bdim fit in to the harmony, and what scales can be played over it?

Cheers,
    Jazzdaz

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

the Bdim7 is a passing chord between Bb7 and F7/C, F7 with the 5th in the bass.

you can play the B whole/half diminished scale over that chord.

MW

User Info Menu

Just finished the walking bass guitar lesson 1 - Great lesson!

Stringbean Guest
    Just a note on my progress with this lesson:

I've been spending a lot of time with this and I'm getting some good results. Though I'm not quite yet on auto pilot playing it through, my sound is beginning to have some swing.

Two things I've noticed. First, if I fudge a note or a chord, or even a few notes...it doesn't really matter that much. If I get to correct note on the 1st beat of the next measure, the swing feel remains.

And then from there, I found that I could substitute those fudged notes with some intentionally different notes. I think they are called "licks".

That's where I'm at, love this stuff.

User Info Menu

Cool, thanks for sharing your progress sounds like you're really getting the hang of this stuff!

MW

great lesson,easy to learn.richard

Big ups Matt.Thanks so much for all your time and patience,we are lucky to have a guy like you around....and it's free

Quote Originally Posted by 604bourne123
    great lesson,easy to learn.richard
    then even a better lesson is to memorize it all

User Info Menu

Great lesson! I have worked on chord melody music and it's a lot of fun. The most difficult part for me is some of the chords you run into. However I know that sometimes it's easier to arrange a song to suit yourself.

User Info Menu

Thanks a lot for posting this great lesson, I have had a lot of fun practicing it the last few days. I'm always looking for ways of improving my comping, which is what guitarists do most of the time after all.

(Especially liking that turnaround...)

As a suggestion/begging for future lessons... 1) it would be great to expand a bit on how to create walking bass lines (and some walking bass "licks" for common chord transitions). And 2) some more on approaching chords and fillins that are not always taking the target chord and displace it 1 semitone.

Thanks again for taking the time to post this lesson. I had always seen the walking bass thing as some esoteric thing only top players could do... but now I'm playing it myself!

Just wanted to say thanks for this lesson. Very easy to follow, and it gives a good foundation.

User Info Menu

This is a great lesson and I've thoroughly enjoyed the site, though this is my very first post. My question (maybe stupid but I'm brand new to jazz) is about the two 7th chords rooted off the fifth string. The F7 at the 8th fret and the C7 at the third fret. Both of these fingerings indicate playing the 1, 3, b7, and 2 (or 9), of the chord scale. Doesn't that make those chords 7add9 (or something like that)? Or, am I just missing something like the nose on my face? (again)

In Gratitude,
    Mike in Denver

User Info Menu

I'm kinda new to reading music but, under step 5, is there a transcription error between the fifth and sixth measure? The tab reads 6(Bb) 7(B) on the E string, but the music reads B, B.

I know it's probably something that I'm not understanding, but I thought I'd check.

User Info Menu

Very nice.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dirkji
    This thread is for questions and feedback about the Walking Bass Guitar Lesson.
    Great lesson. Very clear!

A good next step is to try to mix up the rhythmic approach of the chord stab. Can you stab the chord on the and of four before hitting the bass note, for example? Can you hit the chord and bass note at the same time?

User Info Menu

Great lesson. Much as I love the guitar, little in life rivets my attention like a high-hat and a cool walking bass line.