User Info Menu

Lee Ritenour Live at Northsea jazzfestival
    Live at Coconut grove
    Overtime
    Pat Metheny Jazz Baltica
    The way up at Monteral jazzfestival

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Seeing how this Master of jazz guitar suffered a severe brain injury, didn't even know his parents when he awoke from surgery, became a Master again. Twice in his lifetime he acheived becoming a great guitarist where many can't do it ONCE. Inspiration after seeing this. Having suffered a brain injury myself do to an accident I understood much of what I saw. Fortunately my injury wasn't as severe nor am I a master...LOL

User Info Menu

Crossroads Guitar festival 1 & 2 are my absolute favorites. The variety of artists and styles make them both classics.

User Info Menu

I agree with many of the titles already posted, but I'm going in another direction - all guitar but not jazz:
    Julian Bream "My Life in Music."
    Julian Bream "¡Guitarra!"
    John Williams "Concert in Seville."
    Brad

User Info Menu

I like the diversity of styles on both the Crossroad Guitar Festival DVD's. This goes for all the G3 DVD's as well.

Steve Vai's "Live at the Astoria London" and "Visual Sound Theories" with the Holland Metropole Orkest are definitely worth checking out.

The Derek Truck Band "Songlines Live" is chock full of awesome slide playing (the accuracy of Derek's intonation is amazing).

Jeff Beck's "Performing This Week - Live At Ronnie Scotts" features some spine-tingling performances and has Vinnie Colaiuta on drums.

John Mclaughlin and Zakir Hussain feature in "Remember Shakti - The Way Of Beauty".

Finally, "Mike Stern Live", the first of the Live at the New Morning DVD's has Richard Bona on bass and the incredible Dennis Chambers on drums. The first track, "Play", uses a simple rock based riff, C5-G5-Bb5 in 4/4 and overlays a bop style head in a 3/8 feel. The introduction has Mike playing outside by bar 3. If you are interested, you can see my transcription of the introduction and head here:-

Transcriptions

User Info Menu

This guy has a documentary about Lenny Breau, from 1968. IF it's the CBC documentary, its good.

There's another by his daughter, Emily Hughes. Again, have not seen it.

User Info Menu

1 - Emily Remler, both Hot Licks vids (Bop and Latin). Something about this woman! Would loved to have had a beer with her! Amazing communication skills and basically cuts the crap and gets to meat of it all!

2 - George Benson "Art of Jazz Guitar". Not a really great instruction DVD but just to see the character of the man in is home shredding away! His wit and sense of humor just shines through! A real insight into a legend.

3 - All the Crossroads concerts

4 - The Last Waltz Not exactly Jazz but was probably the most inspiring concert for my guitar playing! Spent countless hours playing along to Dr. John, Clapton, Hawkins, and of course 'The Band'. However that said "Such a night" is an 'New Orleans' jazz vamp. And Stage-fright is certainly not diatonic by any means!

Eddie

User Info Menu

Joe Diorio Solo Guitar Concepts
    It's more a clinic than a lesson per se...but his charisma and sense of humor makes it a rewarding experience.

User Info Menu

Ofcourse at number one

Wes Montgomery Live in '65,...and.
    Wes Montgomery - Twisted Blues

but what about
    George Benson - The Art Of Jazz Guitar
    I like him a lot 2
    It's a very good DVD, very relaxed,...learning every day...

Regards
    tuxtux

User Info Menu

"Hey Y'all" from the woods of Tennessee!

New to the forum. What a find! Too cool!

My fav performance dvd is Metheny's "The Way Up, Live" us just too dang good. It fixes everything I don't like about 3rd stream. What an amazing and powerful piece of music. Great performance on the DVD too. Saw him play it in Atlanta on the first leg of that tour.....wow...and wow...and wow...and wait for it..........WOW!

Instructional wise, Scofield's jazz funk series on DCI is great. It is with the Blue Matter band (Beard, Chambers, Grainger) and it kills. The interviewer (Askold Buk) asks all the right questions and Sco just tells it like it is. Great stuff. Performances just smoke too. Sco has the best chipmunk face!

There is a Jim Hall instructional just called Jim Hall where he goes thru a bunch of tunes and just explains them and his approach to each. Very cool and very helpful. I think it is a Hal Leonard product.

Performance wise, the DVD's I've been watching lately are:
    Buddy Rich - Channel One Suite and the Lost West Side Story Tapes.
    Chick Corea Elektric Band - Live at Montreaux
    Hiromi's Sonicbloom Live in Concert
    and Steve Vai's Visual Sound Theories

I know Vai ain't jazz, but neither is Arturo Sandoval, knowhatimsayin?
    The guy is a serious musician disguised as a rock poser. On the DVD, he played some of his tunes with the Metropole Orkest and wrote a suite for them to perform and did the most of the orchestration for all of it.....gotta hand it to the guy.

User Info Menu

I could list 'em all day but here are a few I haven't seen listed yet:1. Great Guitars: Byrd, Kessel and Ellis 2. Paco De Lucia and Group Instructional vids: 1. Any Danny Gatton REH/Hot Licks 2. John Abercrombie: Concepts for Jazz Guitar Improvisation

User Info Menu

Instructional: "Anyone can improvise" by Jamey Aebersold, a 'must have' for anyone who wants to discover and/or develop his/her ability to improvise, no matter which instrument do you play.

Non Instructional: "Talmage Farlow". I saw this documentary as a kid on a TV Show called "Jazz entre amigos". Many years later I started to listen jazz and re-discovered Tal Farlow. I tried to find this documentary for (many) years and a couple of months ago I was finally able to buy it through a british shop (hmv). To me, it was very inspiring to listen both Tal Farlow and Lenny Breau sharing their impresions and opinions about music and guitar playing (not to mention their playing!!).

User Info Menu

Bireli Lagrene - Live at Vienna is one of my favourite guitar DVD concerts. A couple of hours of superb playing.

Digger

User Info Menu

It's been mentioned by previous folk already, but personally, Scott Henderson's "Jazz Rock Mastery" and Don Mock's "The Blues From Rock To Jazz" have really helped me as a guitarist.

Scott's instructional vid goes into the great depths of phrasing and basically teaches how NOT to make your guitar boring. It's taught in a blues / fusion context, but is applicable to any guitar style and, in my opinion, is a must watch for all guitarists.

Don's video gives a great insight into the bebop improvisation approach (especially using substituted arpeggios) when applied to a fusion / rock style, which is very useful for advanced guitarists who have jumped to jazz from other guitar genres.

User Info Menu

The best I've seen to date is Jimmy Bruno's "No Nonsence Jazz Guitar" and his approach to playing lead over changing chord voicing in jazz. It has made a significant difference in my playing over the years and he is a great educator.