The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 15 of 15

User Info Menu

Our standard for Jul 2021 will be I've Found a New Baby (Jack Palmer, Spencer Williams, 1926).

Background:
    Jazz Standards Songs and Instrumentals (I've Found a New Baby)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I don't know why they write 'happy' songs in minor keys. I mean, presumably someone's really happy at finding a noo bebeh... so here's a normal one plus a nice, miserable one.

And I have to say I got a whole lot more joy from the slow one :-)

Last edited by ragman1; 07-01-2021 at 08:29 AM.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I love this old tune. Here's a video I made a couple months back doing a sort of swing era sort of banjoesque chord melody version. Swing purists beware my use of a minor 7th chord for c minor. I used to have much more facility doing this style of chord melody so there are some rough spots

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dcharles
    I love this old tune. Here's a video I made a couple months back doing a sort of swing era sort of banjoesque chord melody version. Swing purists beware my use of a minor 7th chord for c minor. I used to have much more facility doing this style of chord melody so there are some rough spots

Nice playing! Nothing wrong with your facility. What you did is not easy to do. It's nice to have another participant in this thread. There's a lot to be gained by learning these old songs.
    I'm still doing research for my contribution, which for me is half the fun.

User Info Menu

Edit: Busy working on a non suck version. I decided I have to do better on the melody and the solo. Playing the melody all on the lower manual is too hum drum. Also I think I'm done just winging solos. Gotta make up ideas beforehand instead of going here are the chords, play it.
    Last edited by Clint 55; 07-20-2021 at 01:38 AM.

User Info Menu

Needs must...

User Info Menu

Sounds raggedy lol. In a good way!

User Info Menu

Take 200.

User Info Menu

My July effort:

User Info Menu

Nice, suits the style!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hohoho
    My July effort:
    Sounds great! Nice clear and clean recording and playing. Sounds like a strat. Good energy.

User Info Menu

Just getting this in under the wire! I tried something different again this month. Here is my attempt to replicate the Charlie Christian solo on this tune. BIAB backing at only 80% of the tempo of the C.C. recording. What a great lesson this was to try and get the timing of these phrases! I played twice through, melody first to give perspective and then the solo. I won't be starting that Charlie Christian tribute band any time soon, but I got a lot out of this.

User Info Menu

Good job!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by alpop
    Just getting this in under the wire! I tried something different again this month. Here is my attempt to replicate the Charlie Christian solo on this tune. BIAB backing at only 80% of the tempo of the C.C. recording. What a great lesson this was to try and get the timing of these phrases! I played twice through, melody first to give perspective and then the solo. I won't be starting that Charlie Christian tribute band any time soon, but I got a lot out of this.

Very, very nice alpop! (And thanks for you kind words!)