The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 22 of 22

User Info Menu

Hope all our US jazzers are enjoying and remembering on Memorial Day ...

Our standard for Jun 2021 will be Someone to Watch Over Me (George & Ira Gershwin, 1926).

Background:
    Jazz Standards Songs and Instrumentals (Someone to Watch Over Me)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

This is a great song. done by many Artistes, I just listened to Jon Scofield
    and Steve Swallow playing it Live, superb, then there is Sarah Vaughan !!

User Info Menu

I dunno why, but this version always hits me hard even though it ain't Sarah Vaughn or Billie Holiday...

Rag, methinks you'd like that rendition as well

User Info Menu

Quite nice. I found the voice grated a bit but the guitar had some very interesting voicings.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Quite nice. I found the voice grated a bit but the guitar had some very interesting voicings.
    Yeah, I think the song would have been better presented by mixing the vocal down and softening the EQ. Those long sustained notes were not that pleasing to listen to as mixed.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PickingMyEars
    I dunno why, but this version always hits me hard even though it ain't Sarah Vaughn or Billie Holiday...

Rag, methinks you'd like that rendition as well
    I'm brand new to this community, and this is one of my favorite standards. Julian Lage must be from the future or some distant planet...his playing, feel, and voicing are incredible. Thanks for sharing.

User Info Menu

Here's my effort for this month. I decided to do something different, and ditch my pick and my BIAB backing track. Just a boy and his guitar trying to play a song. Quite the reality check! (if you ask me, I find reality to be highly over rated)

User Info Menu

Nice. Everybody will l-o-v-e those open strings :-)

User Info Menu

Nice. Everybody will l-o-v-e those open strings :-)
    Thanks! Yes, I had to play it in G because there was no way I was going to be able to harmonize those 8th notes and execute them cleanly in a "jazz" key.

User Info Menu

Thank you alpop! Beautiful! Loved the ending!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hohoho
    Thank you alpop! Beautiful! Loved the ending!
    Thanks for taking the time to listen, and the kind words. I'm looking forward to your version.

User Info Menu

Here's my run. I spent the month memorizing and practicing the tune. It's hard trying to hack it on organ with 3 different things going at once and while being recorded, but I'm getting better. I thought about piecing together different tracks in the daw, but I think I prefer just 1 solo performance. Still not to the point of being able to run the whole thing with a decent solo included. I found the music to the intro in Eb so I had to memorize that in Ab and I rearranged it as well. I tried to play it standard and not be as dramatic as I was last time, it is a bit of an emotional tune tho.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Clint 55
    Here's my run. I spent the month memorizing and practicing the tune. It's hard trying to hack it on organ with 3 different things going at once and while being recorded, but I'm getting better. I thought about piecing together different tracks in the daw, but I think I prefer just 1 solo performance. Still not to the point of being able to run the whole thing with a decent solo included. I found the music to the intro in Eb so I had to memorize that in Ab and I rearranged it as well. I tried to play it standard and not be as dramatic as I was last time, it is a bit of an emotional tune tho.

Nice job Clint! Good on you to learn the intro as well, I feel a bit guilty for leaving that part out.
    My process is to learn and memorize the tune ASAP, start in on practicing, and record when I feel that I can play relatively clam free. One of my self imposed rules for my posts here is that it must be one take. (that's why I do videos)
    I realize that what I'm doing now is not jazz, but I feel I will get closer to that goal if I get used to playing straight through. I'm glad that you didn't piece together something. If your goal is to be a better performer, it's probably best to record your performance, send it out, and move on to next one.
    Anyway, keep up the good work, the organ sounds great!

User Info Menu

Thanks! I agree, that's a good process for improving. Memorize the tune, shed it, do your best on the recording and move on. I think it's still jazz even without a solo section. Many players were/are like that. I'm going to try to move up to adding a short but tasty solo section. I'm glad you liked the sound of the organ. I did several things to make it sound more real like an old tonewheel organ, since it's one of the new digital ones. One of which was to use an eq pedal. One of the things I like about your playing is you do a good job of coming up with stuff that sounds well composed, whether it's your single note melodies or on this video, your chords and arrangement. I also like how your playing is in time and deliberate. I've always liked that approach, of playing calmly but deliberately and giving the focus to the material itself. I tend to be more uncontrolled and it's hard for me to get in that type of zone.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Clint 55
    Thanks! I agree, that's a good process for improving. Memorize the tune, shed it, do your best on the recording and move on. I think it's still jazz even without a solo section. Many players were/are like that. I'm going to try to move up to adding a short but tasty solo section. I'm glad you liked the sound of the organ. I did several things to make it sound more real like an old tonewheel organ, since it's one of the new digital ones. One of which was to use an eq pedal. One of the things I like about your playing is you do a good job of coming up with stuff that sounds well composed, whether it's your single note melodies or on this video, your chords and arrangement. I also like how your playing is in time and deliberate. I've always liked that approach, of playing calmly but deliberately and giving the focus to the material itself. I tend to be more uncontrolled and it's hard for me to get in that type of zone.
    I suspect that our respective approaches are tied to our personalities. I wish I had more of your approach. It's pretty hard to hide who you are when you present music and I happen to be calm and reserved. That being said, I do think more dynamic expression can come out with more command of technical abilities and the confidence those abilities supply. I'm working on that side of things lately, which is something that I think I have always wrongly neglected. Regardless, it's all tons of fun!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by alpop
    Regardless, it's all tons of fun!
    Yes it is!

User Info Menu

Here's my comp and improv for this month...

User Info Menu

Fantastisch!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hohoho
    Here's my comp and improv for this month...
    Well done, I enjoyed listening! I wouldn't have minded hearing you play another time through.

User Info Menu

Many thanks ragman and alpop!!
    Now on to "Memories" I presume?

User Info Menu

Probably 'I Found A New Baby' but we better wait and see.

User Info Menu

Probably 'I Found A New Baby' but we better wait and see.
    Oops! Did they change the order of the songs or am I totally off?
    Guess I'll have to work on 2 tunes in July then...