The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 15 of 15

User Info Menu

Our standard for Apr 2021 will be Mean to Me (Fred Ahlert, Roy Turk, 1929).

Background:
    Jazz Standards Songs and Instrumentals (Mean to Me)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

fave tune of the author-charles bukowski!

cheers

User Info Menu

Gee, it seems like this poor thread has been abandoned! It does suit my purposes so I'll post my effort on this song. Here is 2 times through with melody and a short solo. A few clashes with my BIAB piano player, but that's okay. (it's him that's wrong, not me!) I do like these old songs.

User Info Menu

Very nice, alpop

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Very nice, alpop
    Thanks man, I appreciate the encouraging words!

User Info Menu

Yeah that was good alpop, nice melodic phrasing, I like that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Yeah that was good alpop, nice melodic phrasing, I like that.
    Thanks for taking the time to comment. I am working on acquiring enough readily available ideas to take longer and more spontaneous solos. Also trying really hard to straighten out my eighth note feel.
    I have always played swing eighths as a triplet with the first two notes tied together. Not cool!
    Anyway, I am a fan of your playing so your comment is appreciated and will help fuel future practice sessions.

User Info Menu

Thanks, yes swing rhythm can be difficult to get right, ‘less is more’ in some ways. You’re definitely on the right lines with the phrasing. Also nice use of chords.

User Info Menu

Good job ragman. You're a very consistent player. I like your acoustic old skool sound. Also good job alpop. I liked your 8th notes, they were one of the first things I noticed, long and legato - really swings. Here's my effort. I couldn't find a good keyz forum so I decided to post here. Same thing :P Guitar is my 2nd instrument.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Clint 55
    Good job ragman. You're a very consistent player. I like your acoustic old skool sound. Also good job alpop. I liked your 8th notes, they were one of the first things I noticed, long and legato - really swings. Here's my effort. I couldn't find a good keyz forum so I decided to post here. Same thing :P Guitar is my 2nd instrument.

Sounds good Clint 55. I tried to give piano a shot a few years ago, but just couldn't do two things at once! If you are learning the guitar, this forum is packed with gold. So much insight from good players here.

User Info Menu

Thx. This forum is packed out the door with resources and good players. I bet you could learn to play 2 things at once on piano, you just have to beat it into you! haha. For example, play really simple rhythms with your left hand while your right hand is playing and then gradually move to more involvement between both hands.

User Info Menu

Time for April effort (September next?):
    Comping and improv sped up to 200% in Amazing Slow Downer

User Info Menu

Lol! What instrument is that? Midi guitar?

Anyhoo, your lines sound good.
    Last edited by Clint 55; 04-28-2021 at 07:07 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Clint 55
    Lol! What instrument is that? Midi guitar?

Anyhoo, your lines sound good.
    Thanks for listening and your kind words Clint!

No, that is a Squire Strat speeded up.
    Here's the first phrase at original speed:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hohoho
    Time for April effort (September next?):
    Comping and improv sped up to 200% in Amazing Slow Downer

Who cares? It's not a competition. Sounds great and just proves you can really play!