Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12

User Info Menu

Hello, gentlepersons,

Our standard for Mar 2021 will be Just One of Those Things (Cole Porter, 1935).

Background:
    Jazz Standards Songs and Instrumentals (Just One of Those Things)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

long form tune, but I love it non the less

User Info Menu

No point playing the tune, too long, too boring. Just an exercise in getting round the chords, take one, no sweat, no injury, no going mad. Simple.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1 View Post
    No point playing the tune, too long, too boring. Just an exercise in getting round the chords, take one, no sweat, no injury, no going mad. Simple.

Nicely played, an enjoyable listen!

User Info Menu

Thank you. Of course, if the harmonies sound a bit weird in places it's because it IS weird in places. Not my fault!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1 View Post
    Thank you. Of course, if the harmonies sound a bit weird in places it's because it IS weird in places. Not my fault!
    I'm learning the song now to hopefully post before the end of the month, and I agree that the harmonies are odd when you separate them from the melody. They do work with the melody, which I find to be an interesting phenomenon. I think you did a nice job of connecting these disjointed chords, and making it sound natural.

User Info Menu

Love what Sonny Rollins does here with the tune:

That push and pull with the rhythm section, even just in the head--is really hip

Sonny Rollins for President, btw

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PickingMyEars View Post
    Love what Sonny Rollins does here with the tune:

That push and pull with the rhythm section, even just in the head--is really hip

Sonny Rollins for President, btw
    For MY tastes, jazz does not get any better than this! We are talking about a different tune in this thread though, right?

User Info Menu

yeap... my bad

Here is the actual song, by another great:

Tried to email Joe Cohn for lessons... still haven't heard back. What a player!!!

User Info Menu

Rough take, but I need to push myself to play more and record more. Gets me excited to play in person again. Tried to do a waltz feel against the bridge. Dunno if that worked. The melody... yeah, sometimes you gotta just spend the time to learn the melody before you try to solo over the tune...

...Just sometimes

...Or else it will just become "just one of those things"

Btw, Rags--your take actually sounds like a love song. Very lyrical and pretty. Mine just sounds angry

User Info Menu

Great fun but...

User Info Menu

Here is my shot at the tune, with one chorus of soloing, skipping the melody, although I did learn it. I found this a challenge to keep my focus because of the 64 bar form, that's a lot of chords!