The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 26

User Info Menu

Our standard for Feb 2021 will be I Got Rhythm (George & Ira Gershwin, 1930).

Background:
    Jazz Standards Songs and Instrumentals (I Got Rhythm)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

yey, time to put my playlist of 230 odd songs worth of rhythm changes to work. Still building that thing.

Nowhere near as long my Blues Form list... over 1,000 songs.

Best name for a RC contrafact might be a tie between Mop Mop and Oo Bop Sh'Bam.

Nat King Cole wrote some interesting tunes over I Got Rhythm. My favorite is Bop Kick:

Sounds so modern and still grooves like all hell

User Info Menu

Good lord, never been done here before... well, I never.

User Info Menu

So maybe we all try and pick a different contrafact over Rhythm Changes...

There's a ton out there.

Listening to OW! right now:

I couldn't find the whole song from the record on Youtube. Good album. And it's live from Seattle, so many great performances recorded around these parts that I now call home. And the youtube video seems to be shot in NYC, where I was born and raised. Grew up right next to the Hudson River, so pretty no matter what the season. Full circle

User Info Menu

I don't do fast stuff, makes me nervous :-)

User Info Menu

"Changes" is always great fun.

User Info Menu

Not sure I do but I’m working on acquiring some. Never played the original tune before.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CK6NBf5j...=18tayjzklu3z3

Last edited by Peterson; 02-05-2021 at 10:14 AM.

User Info Menu

Have you heard the late Pete Huttlinger's fingerstyle take on I Got Rhythm? It makes me sweat just listening, but there are tabs out there, and it's playable, I've heard. : )

Good going, man.

User Info Menu

Yea, here we go. Sorry, probably the least jazz style take on it, but I craved somethin different.

User Info Menu

Time to pick a fight with the jazz police if we don't consider that jazz, Hep!

You gave that big band behind you a run for their money... oh wait, you didn't have a big band behind you?

Nor a paired down rhythm section?

Not even a backing track?

Even when you solo'ed, sounded like I could hear the band driving behind you and trying to keep up.

That was SWANGLY!

User Info Menu

Here's me TRYING to BOP over rhythm changes:

I should be paying that bass player, cause he even makes my flubbies sound good.

Just improvisation here, no heads or melody.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PickingMyEars
    Here's me TRYING to BOP over rhythm changes:

I should be paying that bass player, cause he even makes my flubbies sound good.

Just improvisation here, no heads or melody.
    Yooo, whats up Irez, it's been a while! Sounds good, nice to see you back here, how have you been?
    Last edited by Hep To The Jive; 02-10-2021 at 05:15 AM.

User Info Menu

Well, I guess if I was dumb enough to keep my name on my soundcloud...

There goes laying low.

Not bad. Was playing out at jams a ton and learning a lot... then C19 hit. Family got it, but recovered (thankfully!)

Waiting for this to be a horrible memory...

And waiting to play out safely again.

You moved outta the Apple o' Jack?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PickingMyEars
    Well, I guess if I was dumb enough to keep my name on my soundcloud...

There goes laying low.

Not bad. Was playing out at jams a ton and learning a lot... then C19 hit. Family got it, but recovered (thankfully!)

Waiting for this to be a horrible memory...

And waiting to play out safely again.

You moved outta the Apple o' Jack?
    Well, there is more to it than just soundcloud- you got a signature style in your writing man! But my bad, i didnt mean to blow your cover haha.

Good to hear you and your family are ok. Crazy times, eh? I got a music teaching job in China for (I thought) a year, but they offered me to extend in the midst of C19, so of course I said yes... I dont know when I come back to NYC, if ever. I do miss gigging though... Here I'm just teaching, with very rare school gigs. I'm grateful though, in NYC I'd have nothing right now.

User Info Menu

Hello everyone!

Any tips/advice/criticism?

User Info Menu

Your Soundcloud clip isn't displaying. It could be set on Private (under the pencil icon).

User Info Menu

Oh whoops. Just fixed it now.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bouviour
    Oh whoops. Just fixed it now.

Nice tone and technique. Did you record the bass track, too?

User Info Menu

Thanks!! The bass track was from MrSunnybass's backing tracks on Youtube

User Info Menu

This is an older clip but I learned a lot facing the challenge of Jimmy Raney's solo on Rhythm Changes in Vol 20 of the Jamey Aebersold set. He plays it quite a bit faster than I could, but it's still a fun solo to learn and it has ideas that can be used in other contexts.

User Info Menu

I gave up trying to do it fast. Too good for me :-)

User Info Menu

So... It's a bit quiet in these parts.

My guitar is in the shop. Getting a pickguard made... finally!

Anyway, this is what happens when you can't play guitar but there's a keyboard in your office:

I thought the vibraphone patch sounded okay. The vibraphone player on the other hand... we fired him right after that take. Where's Red Norvo or Milt Jackson when ya need them?

Hey, at least I played the melody this time

User Info Menu

Been working on walking bass/chords
    and
    Bb Rhythm Study number 3 from Contemporary Jazz Studies volume 1 By David Berger

User Info Menu

May interest

User Info Menu

...and Clark Terry. Not the best fidelity on this album, but still a treat if you can find it