The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 87 of 87

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I think if we just treated it like a jam session, then that wouldn't be a problem. I think it'd be great to have a thread that went through tunes much like "Jam of the Week" does on Facebook, but maybe with some more shop talk and analysis thrown in.

So literally "Here's the tune" and everybody participating takes one or two choruses.

It's not a deep dive into a tune like the Practical Standards, it's more of a test of instincts. I would say "don't play the melody," even (not that you shouldn't know it, but keep it short)
    I like it!

John

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Alright. Let's do this. I'll get some stuff together over the next few days.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reg
    being able to perform a tune live the first time is what jazz players do. It's how you need to go about it.
    Sure, but I don't think we should overmix what we do on a forum like this, which includes a lot of beginners and intermediate players, with the mentality and processes of professional gigging musicians. The one really is not the other, the two levels are entirely different.

I doubt a professional-level jazz musician such as you describe would join in with this sort of forum except in the Showcase section. Very few people here could just immediately launch into a whole list of jazz tunes in any key, any style, and all that sort of stuff.

User Info Menu

Hey Rag,

I disagree... It's OK to not jump in on everything all at once. But when one has an idea of what something is, it usually helps get better results.

I don't think the original Practical standards thread is going to change, the same few players can still post and comment. It's still a cool thread, but if some want to learn how to play Jazz tunes in Jazz styles as compared to learning how to play pop tunes in jazz styles..... a new thread might help develop the skills of playing in a Jazz style etc...

It's not really an either or, maybe just more choices. And if the thread gets.... more accomplished jazz players,( I'm just one of many avg. players), involved with playing examples... I can't see how this would hurt, I really believe getting more players such as myself, who can play as well as explain what we're playing etc...would help.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    All tunes in the world can be turned into gypsy jazz. It’s SCIENCE.
    All tunes in the world can be turned into JAZZ.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Very few people here could just immediately launch into a whole list of jazz tunes in any key, any style, and all that sort of stuff.
    I think you might be surprised. I can do it (Well, not every tune every key, my head would explode), and I'm no pro. I think there's lots of others here too.

But I think the benefit would really be for those who HAVEN'T done it. Jump in and get your feet wet in a safe environment kind of way.

User Info Menu

I think you might be surprised. I can do it (Well, not every tune every key, my head would explode), and I'm no pro. I think there's lots of others here too.

But I think the benefit would really be for those who HAVEN'T done it. Jump in and get your feet wet in a safe environment kind of way.
    I'm wiling to give it a try. I might not be able to keep up with a tune a week, but hey I can just go every other week. Still means I get introduced to a lot of tunes.

My own focus on the OP was on a certain kind of tune, not just something written since 1950. I was thinking of the contrafacts, the compositions, that really never made it to airtime, as it were. Everything from Oleo to Four-On-Six, Confirmation to Grooveyard, the tunes composed by jazz players that most jazz players enjoy jamming to but which are not always crowd-pleasers.

Sounds like you have that idea, so I'm happy. Also, I just launched the question, how it gets answered is a story yet to be told.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reg
    Hey Rag,

I disagree... It's OK to not jump in on everything all at once. But when one has an idea of what something is, it usually helps get better results.

I don't think the original Practical standards thread is going to change, the same few players can still post and comment. It's still a cool thread, but if some want to learn how to play Jazz tunes in Jazz styles as compared to learning how to play pop tunes in jazz styles..... a new thread might help develop the skills of playing in a Jazz style etc...

It's not really an either or, maybe just more choices. And if the thread gets.... more accomplished jazz players,( I'm just one of many avg. players), involved with playing examples... I can't see how this would hurt, I really believe getting more players such as myself, who can play as well as explain what we're playing etc...would help.

Well, nothing ventured...

I'll just do my thing and see how it all progresses :-)

User Info Menu

Alright, I started the virtual jam with a pretty approachable tune, Benny Golson's "Whisper Not."

Lets hear ya all. Nothing to be afraid of, ill be the bouncer, and I'll be a real asshole to anybody who's a jerk.

User Info Menu

Alright, I started the virtual jam with a pretty approachable tune, Benny Golson's "Whisper Not."

Lets hear ya all. Nothing to be afraid of, ill be the bouncer, and I'll be a real asshole to anybody who's a jerk.
    Is there a thread for that somewhere, or should we just post to this thread here?

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Is there a thread for that somewhere, or should we just post to this thread here?

John
    There’s a thread for it in the ‘Improvisation’ section.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.

John
    Jgbe virtual jam, round 1