The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 54

User Info Menu

I uploaded this years ago probably intending to clean it up and repost. Maybe I finally will. I like the general feel, but there obvious a lot that is clumsy about it. I love the tune though.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The bridge is tricky on this one. I had to think about the phrasing. But easier for me, harder for chord melody-ists.

User Info Menu

Here’s my solution to the bridge so far:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peterson
    Here’s my solution to the bridge so far:

Looks like that those finger mechanics would work. Seems like you might want to simplify a little around the 11 second point when you pick up the tempo, but you’ll figure that out.

User Info Menu

Here is one chorus of soloing. I didn't feel the need to play the melody again for these purposes. I think it's better to keep it short if I'm asking people to listen to my hobbyist efforts.
    I must say that playing to tracks is a challenge. Not being able to interact with a live drummer makes playing fresh ideas more difficult.
    I guess that's it for this month, I will be back for the next tune..........

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by alpop
    Here is one chorus of soloing. I didn't feel the need to play the melody again for these purposes. I think it's better to keep it short if I'm asking people to listen to my hobbyist efforts.
    I must say that playing to tracks is a challenge. Not being able to interact with a live drummer makes playing fresh ideas more difficult.
    I guess that's it for this month, I will be back for the next tune..........

I like this very much! Melodic, space, repeated and transposed phrases.
    Inspiring! Thank you alpop!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hohoho
    I like this very much! Melodic, space, repeated and transposed phrases.
    Inspiring! Thank you alpop!
    Thanks for the encouraging words! My technical limitations are kind of driving the bus, so I am using other devices to try to keep it musically interesting.

If you have the recording gear, why don't you contribute some of your own playing to the thread? The more the merrier!

Alan

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by alpop
    Thanks for the encouraging words! My technical limitations are kind of driving the bus, so I am using other devices to try to keep it musically interesting.

If you have the recording gear, why don't you contribute some of your own playing to the thread? The more the merrier!

Alan
    Hmm... maybe super technique can be a limitation?

I usually post in the end of the month, but since you asked and I do record improvs almost every day already.
    Two improvised choruses, sorry about that.

Ragman: no backing this time , maybe later

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=hohoho;1090949]Hmm... maybe super technique can be a limitation?

I usually post in the end of the month, but since you asked and I do record improvs almost every day already.
    Two improvised choruses, sorry about that.

Nicely done! Sorry, I am new to participating to this thread so I didn't know that you posted your playing. I hope I didn't rush you. No worries about doing two choruses, I may try that myself next time. Keep up the good work! Improvising on these tunes is like working on a fascinating puzzle, and I find it very interesting to hear everyone's approach.

I'm not sure about the ability to play fast being a limitation though. I'd sure love to be able to pop in some 16th note runs every once in a while!

User Info Menu

I'll not desert this thread or these tunes. This one is worthy of no less respect than Whisper Not, or any other. They're the same in my view, completely.

So here is a work of art, just done this morning. Take one, and the outcome of literally years of sweat and tears. That's the way it is, and as it should be.

User Info Menu

This is a really nice song. I’ll
    record a version if I get a chance.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    I'll not desert this thread or these tunes. This one is worthy of no less respect than Whisper Not, or any other. They're the same in my view, completely.

So here is a work of art, just done this morning. Take one, and the outcome of literally years of sweat and tears. That's the way it is, and as it should be.

It is very similar to your first take.

User Info Menu

I haven't deserted either. I've been working on the melody, especially since I wasn't familiar with the tune at all. I also hope to up the tempo a bit and do another more competent take than the first one. I plan to get that done this week or early next.

User Info Menu

I really hope people don't see the "jam session" thread as taking away from the practical standards...that was not my intention at all.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I really hope people don't see the "jam session" thread as taking away from the practical standards...that was not my intention at all.
    I don't see why anyone should see it that way at all. There has only been one comment that implied that, but otherwise I imagine people who like to try to play things and post on the forum will now enjoy having two places to do that. When I originally proposed a "practical jazz originals" group, I certainly did not entertain any competition with the venerable Practical Standards group. I just noticed that often through the month we would slow down a bit, and I thought maybe a parallel project could be fun.

You ran with the idea and gave us a really fun place to work on that other part of the jazz repertoire, and I think the quicker format is going to be interesting as well.

Thanks for taking this on!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I see it as more tunes to do. Can only be good :-)

(A month for one tune is quite long)

User Info Menu

One month for one tune is nothing.
    You have to practise jazz tunes all life.

User Info Menu

That really depends on your level of playing and how much discretionary time you have. For middling player like myself, with a full time job and other obligations, who only has at best an hour a day to focus on learning new stuff, a month is a decent amount of time to get the basics of a tune in hand. Melody, comping, a basic chord-melody of the head, a chorus or two of soloing... I need about a month to work through that because of where I am as a player and where music fits into my life.

The more advanced players who think that's too long maybe should think more of trying to demonstrate all the amazing, unusual, alternative, mind-blowing ideas one could bring to the tune.

User Info Menu

Lawson -

I think there's no doubt that for chord melody players, aside from those who have other responsibilities, it takes time to get there properly.

For myself, once I've done it a few times I reckon I've got it. Enough, anyway. After that, it all becomes a bit spurious and what one thinks is 'different' isn't really, it's more a search for the novel and becomes a bit unnecessary.

User Info Menu

Lawson -

I think there's no doubt that for chord melody players, aside from those who have other responsibilities, it takes time to get there properly.

For myself, once I've done it a few times I reckon I've got it. Enough, anyway. After that, it all becomes a bit spurious and what one thinks is 'different' isn't really, it's more a search for the novel and becomes a bit unnecessary.
    "Novel" isn't a bad thing. Taking extra time with a familiar tune to find something fresh, scary, unexpected, but compelling and even beautiful is a wonderful thing. Not everyone is up to drilling down that deep, and the risk is enormous that what results will be a train wreck. Still, I wish I had the chops to push past the usual improvisational and arrangement ideas and expose a deeper dimension of these classic tunes. Alas, what I do is all I'm capable of at the moment.

User Info Menu

By novel I mean, basically, getting weird or strange just for the sake of it, or trying to be clever and ending up pretentious. I've fallen into that one myself and quickly threw them away!

It is possible to find something genuinely different and interesting to do with a tune but it takes a lot of skill, experience and musical sense. Can't say I've mastered that yet but I'm very impressed when others do it.

User Info Menu

Oddly enough when I pick up the guitar and just start improvising at random I always tend to play the same few tunes. Quite often it’s Stella or All the things for example. It always seems possible to come up with a new idea or two if I bash away long enough, I treat it as a sort of improv workout. I think those ideas then transfer subconsciously to other tunes as well.

Bill Evans used to play the same tunes a lot, he could obviously keep getting fresh ideas from them.

User Info Menu

Just before this ends, I thought of reducing the tune to its bare essentials. The progression is really just:

C - % - F - %
    G7 - % - C - G7 (B7)

Em - B7 - Em - D7
    G - % - D7 - G7

That's what I played, no subs. It doesn't always work but it did with this one.

User Info Menu

Beautiful Ragman! Very nice feel! Thank you!

I managed to get a decent take on a slow "potato swing" 2 chorus backing track
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/uva2nf4jz8...01_28.mp3?dl=0

And here's what my improv today sounded like. Many triplets, but also some space, at least in the first chorus.

User Info Menu

Hey, hoho, some interesting moments there! By the way, what is 'potato swing'?