The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 54

User Info Menu

Oh, no ... late! My apologies, jazz people!

Our standard for Jan 2021 will be More Than You Know (Vincent Youmans, Edward Eliscu, Billy Rose, 1929).

Background:
    Jazz Standards Songs and Instrumentals (More Than You Know)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I prefer more jazz feel version with great intro:

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

the late Joe Beck on guitar at about 2:40 i think.sorry 2:55

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EarlBrother
    Nice feel...Joe Beck's guitar bendings are from the heart.
    Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

Nino Rota's theme for Fellini's LA DOLCE VITA-look at first 56 s...

User Info Menu

Ovader -

I immediately thought of Nino Rota's theme for Fellini's LA DOLCE VITA when I heard your version.
    I see your point, there is some similarity between the two tunes. It goes da-da-da a couple of times, like MTYK, and moves into the sub-dominant and back. Beyond that I'm not sure, though.

Nino Rota's name has come up before allied to plagiarism although apparently he was plagiarizing himself rather than others.

"In 1972 he was nominated for an Oscar for his score for The Godfather; however, someone unjustly accused him of plagiarism. He protested this accusation and the charges were dropped because the music from which the theme song had been derived was a song he had written in 1946."

User Info Menu

the late Joe Beck on guitar at about 2:40 i think.sorry 2:55
    Great tone

User Info Menu

This makes me wish I was a better singer.

User Info Menu

Anyone else finding it hard to avoid slipping into "Tenderly" with this?

User Info Menu

So here's my first shot at a clip, just the head and a snippet of improv before the wheels fell off.

I do not deserve this L5ces.

User Info Menu

Lovely chords, Lawson. Did you work those out? Really nice. It was like Christmas again!

User Info Menu

I can’t remember having heard this song before. Lovely tune! Not very common on Spotify it seems.

Anyway... here’s me playing chord melody and singing. It helps me memorise a tune.

User Info Menu

I am enjoying everyone's versions.

Ragman: Great mood and improv. Do you have a list of the tunes in advance? You got that out so quick!
    Lawson: Wonderful tone and execution on all those chords.
    Peterson: I like your organic approach!

Here is my take on the song. I decided on a bit of a quicker tempo after listening to the Billie Holiday version.
    I'm not that pleased with my execution, but I wanted to join the party, so here it is. I will try and put out another version with a chorus of improv as well if I am able to before the end of the month.

Alan

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Lovely chords, Lawson. Did you work those out? Really nice. It was like Christmas again!
    Thank you, and yes, i worked out the chord-melody myself. It's not actually an "arrangement." I worked out several ways to handle the different phrases and then tried to be a bit spontaneous which I used in the clip. Like having "talking points" but not a real speech. That's why you'll see I hesitate or slip on a few phrases. Cost of doing business in this genre.

The bridge needs more attention. I love the melody and it just sounds beautiful played on an archtop with a warm amp. This could really be Johnny Smith country.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by alpop
    I am enjoying everyone's versions.

Ragman: Great mood and improv. Do you have a list of the tunes in advance? You got that out so quick!
    Lawson: Wonderful tone and execution on all those chords.
    Peterson: I like your organic approach!

Here is my take on the song. I decided on a bit of a quicker tempo after listening to the Billie Holiday version.
    I'm not that pleased with my execution, but I wanted to join the party, so here it is. I will try and put out another version with a chorus of improv as well if I am able to before the end of the month.

Alan

Really nice! I enjoyed the tone and the style you put it in.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Thank you, and yes, i worked out the chord-melody myself. It's not actually an "arrangement." I worked out several ways to handle the different phrases and then tried to be a bit spontaneous which I used in the clip. Like having "talking points" but not a real speech. That's why you'll see I hesitate or slip on a few phrases. Cost of doing business in this genre.

The bridge needs more attention. I love the melody and it just sounds beautiful played on an archtop with a warm amp. This could really be Johnny Smith country.
    It was terrific. Always knew you had it in you :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by alpop
    Do you have a list of the tunes in advance? You got that out so quick!
    Both. There is a list but it didn't take long to do. But thanks for the appreciation. Didn't you want to try an improv on yours?

User Info Menu

Both. There is a list but it didn't take long to do. But thanks for the appreciation. Didn't you want to try an improv on yours?
    That take was a trial run sound check with a different guitar and mic setup, so I only did one pass. I wanted to participate so I sent it in. I will do another one with an improv, but my improvs are prone to train wrecks, so it may take me several attempts to get one that isn't too painful to ask others to listen to.

User Info Menu

Here is another clip from yesterday, almost identical but I'm using a different amplifier and recording arrangement. Curious about which actually sounds better, or if they are just different. If you have a chance to listen to both and share an impression, I'm grateful.

User Info Menu

The first one is smoother, at least on the videos I'm watching here.

User Info Menu

The first one is smoother, at least on the videos I'm watching here.
    I agree. The first one sounds better on my speakers.

User Info Menu

Here is another clip from yesterday, almost identical but I'm using a different amplifier and recording arrangement. Curious about which actually sounds better, or if they are just different. If you have a chance to listen to both and share an impression, I'm grateful.

This version is better than first one.Better sounding guitar and more compacibile to the bacing track.
    The sound of the guitar is exelent in take 2.
    Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

This one, the 2nd one, is much better, because there is more sense of grove.

User Info Menu

I think the second does a better job of having the guitar stand out and present your efforts to show work in progress on the tune. If you mean as a mixed/produced final sound intended to sound like a real recording, I don't think either is quite there, and it would be difficult to say one is better than the other. The first one strikes me as a bit too boomy, especially when a low note on the guitar doubles a note in the bass when you play a low note on the guitar that doubles and/or reinforces a bass note. The guitar on the second strikes me as somewhat too bright (maybe overcompensation for the boominess?). Both strike me as somewhat lacking in mids (the second more than the first), and to my tastes both could use more reverb on the guitar (but that's my taste in guitar sounds). The backing track levels are better balanced with the guitar on the second. I'm listening with earbuds that exaggerate lows a bit, though, so take that it into account (or disregard) accordingly. Hope that helps.

John
    Last edited by John A.; 01-08-2021 at 10:14 PM.