The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Posts 101 to 123 of 123

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Anyway, now that's all over, have this, possibly my favourite.

I like this!! Very nice ballad style! Thank you ragman!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Backing as split out by Kris (thanks Kris).

OK. It's way too long. There are lots of missteps. And no cuts/inserts/reverb/eq/totally raw seems to be a thing around here. So, fine. We'll see if this Soundcloud thing works.

User Info Menu

Well, I liked it :-)

User Info Menu

Well, I liked it :-)
    Thank you ragman. Kind of a daunting place to post with all the jazz pro's about.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    All over? We still have a few days!
    That's what worries me :-)

I've done quite a few now, so maybe it's enough.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spook410
    Thank you ragman. Kind of a daunting place to post with all the jazz pro's about.
    There aren't that many, especially on this thread, and those that are are always encouraging. I've never seen them put anybody down.

(I'm not one so I can say what I like )

User Info Menu

So here's my final take on "All of Me." I enjoy playing the melody very much, and I'm beginning to feel like I can negotiate the changes. Much yet to be done, but it's time to move on.

User Info Menu

So here's my final take on "All of Me." I enjoy playing the melody very much, and I'm beginning to feel like I can negotiate the changes. Much yet to be done, but it's time to move on.

Nicely done, Lawson. The head sounds great, the solo works very well, and it's more rhythmically together than your other takes. I hear real progress.

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Nicely done, Lawson. The head sounds great, the solo works very well, and it's more rhythmically together than your other takes. I hear real progress.

John
    Many thanks. I keep feeling in this tune like I need to get beyond the 1930's... can't seem to get any bebop ideas going with it.

User Info Menu

Lawson -

My goodness, not a 'wrong' note to be seen! Good stuff, lovely. Bebop's a whole different thing, of course. Don't understand it, myself :-)

User Info Menu

Many thanks. I keep feeling in this tune like I need to get beyond the 1930's... can't seem to get any bebop ideas going with it.
    Yup. I've heard so many cheesy/cliché vocal versions that the tune is almost ruined for me. But I do love that I -> IIImaj7 change.

John

User Info Menu

Lawson -

My goodness, not a 'wrong' note to be seen! Good stuff, lovely. Bebop's a whole different thing, of course. Don't understand it, myself :-)
    Thanks for your encouragement and advice, both on the forum and via PMs.

User Info Menu

Being edgy is OK I suppose. And being creative is good. But being melodic and relatable, IMHO, is more important. You have a nice melodic feel that is without a decade designation. It was very musical and something anyone would enjoy listening to.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spook410
    Being edgy is OK I suppose. And being creative is good. But being melodic and relatable, IMHO, is more important. You have a nice melodic feel that is without a decade designation. It was very musical and something anyone would enjoy listening to.
    Thank you for that. Much appreciated. this has been a great month's practical standards for me. When I started out switching from folk to jazz guitar back in the 1990's, "All of Me" was the very first tune my teacher assigned me. I wasn't that impressed by it, but was more interested in solo guitar like Earl Klugh had done. But coming back to this tune now after 30 or so years has been a delight. Especially in this company.

User Info Menu

Hi !

This is my last thing, the 4 first minutes are horrible, go to 4:08 if you want to listen to something decent.

It's from this great channel : Jazz Doblestandard - YouTube

User Info Menu

Today I was playing around with the L5ces through the Polytone (inspired by Archtop Fred's phenomenal post with the same gear on another thread!) and thought I'd post this. The head and first chorus are pretty much what I played before, but I felt kind of inspired by this guitar and the amp and went for a second chorus, which was definitely not pre-planned or worked out. Some hesitation, a few slips, but I was kind of happy with it as an effort at more directly improvised playing. That chorus starts about 1:40 or so for anyone who is interested.

I'm not making history here, but I felt like I made some music.

And now I think I really am done with this tune for now.

User Info Menu

Professor Lawson you have a nice touch and I liked it very much. Musical and the beauty of the combination L5 and polytone but you still have to make the music. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    Professor Lawson you have a nice touch and I liked it very much. Musical and the beauty of the combination L5 and polytone but you still have to make the music. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
    Many thanks. The advice and encouragement in this thread is really insurance that anyone who at least puts an oar in the water will make some progress. The L5 and the ES175 indeed inspire me greatly, though I fall short of making the kind of music those guitars deserve. Still, I love the sound, and will play just to hear that wonderful tone.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by clebergf
    I enjoy this tune a lot.
    Recorded it a couple of months ago with some friends.
    Very nice version!

I'm curious about how you recorded it. Did you each play it individually and share the video files, or was it somehow possible to play it all at the same once without experiencing latency issues?

Geo

User Info Menu

Thought I'd send this in just under the wire! A few missteps but that is part of my style, I figure. This is my first video attempt so I hope it works. Also one of my first posts although I've been a member for quite some time. Happy New Year to all!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by alpop
    Thought I'd send this in just under the wire! A few missteps but that is part of my style, I figure. This is my first video attempt so I hope it works. Also one of my first posts although I've been a member for quite some time. Happy New Year to all!

That's really nice! I almost imagined I heard band members talking in the background like they do in those classic live recordings. It really has a great feel and the melodic ideas flow nicely.

User Info Menu

That's really nice! I almost imagined I heard band members talking in the background like they do in those classic live recordings. It really has a great feel and the melodic ideas flow nicely.
    Gee thanks, that's very kind! I am afraid what you heard in the background is me humming along tunelessly. I absolutely can't stop myself from doing it. As I get better at video/audio maybe I can EQ it out.
    Like I said it's my first video as I have always been poor with tech stuff so hesitant to get started. It's just an iphone video with an external mic plugged in which I just bought today!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by alpop
    Thought I'd send this in just under the wire..
    Nice and musical. One suggestion would be to include the melody to help center the listener. And humming is fine.