The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 123

User Info Menu

If You don't want to use a downloader program, you should be able to use the stereo mix option in audacity to record the source in stereo via your soundcard on your PC. I Can't check this as our power is off at the moment!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

When I get my power back I will have a go at splitting it and let you know.

User Info Menu

...sighs...

Okay!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Here’s a version I did yonks ago with a cellist. My favourite bit is when the phone goes off.

Oh .. I remember that version .. quite liked it .. I like a lot of the stuff you did with Shirley like including the Balkan Cafe

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    ...sighs...

Okay!
    that 'aud' video you posted is in mono. When I play Lawson's video, it is in stereo.

Something is wrong at your end!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    There is a link with seperated mp3 backing track from Lawson's video.
    Best
    Kris

Box
    Sorry, misunderstood. I've got it now. Thanks. Now we see. But will I play anything different???!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    that 'aud' video you posted is in mono. When I play Lawson's video, it is in stereo.

Something is wrong at your end!
    How do you know it's in stereo?

User Info Menu

How do you know it's in stereo?
    Because I can hear it in my headphones, Lawson’s guitar is in one ear and the backing track is in the other!

Anyway my power is back and I have done it in audacity as follows:

First I had to go to windows control panel and select sounds, then find the recording tab and enable Stereo Mix. (Why this is disabled in windows 10 by default is beyond me, another one of Microsoft’s stupid ideas!).

then in audacity i go to edit preferences and make sure Recording device is set to Stereo Mix, and stereo channel is selected.

Then I start recording, play Lawson’s video, and the audacity track captures it in glorious stereo.

then I click on Audio track dropdown at the left of the track and select Split stereo to mono. Now I have the 2 tracks separated and I can delete Lawson’s guitar track (sorry Lawson!), leaving just the backing track.

It seems you are not getting stereo playback from the youtube video at source, no wonder the rest doesn’t work for you!

User Info Menu

I haven't got a stereo mix option. But it is W10 + all updates.

December 2020 - All of Me-q-jpg

User Info Menu

Ok, I see. If you play Lawson’s video directly from youtube with headphones, can you hear it in stereo? If so then that bit is ok, so it must be the audio input settings going into audacity.

How did you record it in audacity, i.e. what is set as the recording device etc. in audacity preferences?

User Info Menu

This setting records from the soundcard.

December 2020 - All of Me-w-jpg

User Info Menu

Lawson's vid sounds equal in both ears. I don't think I'd want it separated.

User Info Menu

Lawson's vid sounds equal in both ears.
    In that case your audio signal from the youtube playback is in mono right from the start, so there is no way to split the tracks by recording from the soundcard into audacity.

Either you'd have to fix that, or alternatively use a youtube downloader program to grab the file directly then open it in audacity. (You can open video files in audacity, it just reads in the audio component).

User Info Menu

Thanks, Graham, you've been very patient. I'm glad your power's back. What happened?

I've got a YT d/loader, I'll try it.

User Info Menu

Just some work being done which involved power off for a while, not a power cut as such.

The yt downloader is very useful, you do have to be careful to get a good one though, I believe there are some dodgy ones out there!

User Info Menu

Caramba! We have lift off.

December 2020 - All of Me-caramba-jpg

This is not the first time you've been helpful. I shan't forget you. Ever

I might have to have a lie down now. I've been up all night... Laters, and thanks again. At least we haven't got bloody Covid (yet) :-)

User Info Menu

Sorry for all the trouble I've caused. I'm pretty much pulling back from posting anyway, but wanted to get this (IMHO) nice track out there without directly violating any copyrights. I know I prepared it correctly, but I'm sorry for any inconvenience caused by processing. I blew about half and hour trying to get this right, and I think now I could have better invested that time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Sorry for all the trouble I've caused. I'm pretty much pulling back from posting anyway, but wanted to get this (IMHO) nice track out there without directly violating any copyrights. I know I prepared it correctly, but I'm sorry for any inconvenience caused by processing. I blew about half and hour trying to get this right, and I think now I could have better invested that time.
    Your file (and efforts) are fine, Lawson. Don't sweat it.

John

User Info Menu

Don’t worry, it appears that some areas of the UK are not in stereo yet, the government is still trying to roll it out.

User Info Menu

So here's a clip of my hacking through the tune, but with strict LR stereo separation, the backing track on the L, my guitar on the R. You could play with the track I suppose just by muting my guitar track.

Very nice Lawson, great sound and I really liked that chord solo, tasty.

Actually that separated stereo sound works really well on my ipad built-in speakers, sounds quite spacious.

User Info Menu

Hi !

This is another rendition... it sounds like it sounds.

User Info Menu

No, no, Lawson. Be positive! Not wasted. I have learnt a thing or two about stereo stuff and it's a good track. I haven't quite finished with it yet. It's a good contribution and the trouble wasn't caused by you, it was caused by the blessed curse of Technology!

Keep going. Your last video, which was overshadowed by me due to the techy confusion, is much, much better and good to listen to. Some nice stuff there, really.

You have not wasted your time. On the contrary, you have enhanced our lives! I know of no creative endeavour which is not hedged about with struggle and self-doubt and 'jazz' might well be one of the worst offenders

Thank you.

User Info Menu

It is a fact that the older you get, the more computers become malevolent towards you.

User Info Menu

No, no, Lawson. Be positive! Not wasted. I have learnt a thing or two about stereo stuff and it's a good track. I haven't quite finished with it yet. It's a good contribution and the trouble wasn't caused by you, it was caused by the blessed curse of Technology!

Keep going. Your last video, which was overshadowed by me due to the techy confusion, is much, much better and good to listen to. Some nice stuff there, really.

You have not wasted your time. On the contrary, you have enhanced our lives! I know of no creative endeavour which is not hedged about with struggle and self-doubt and 'jazz' might well be one of the worst offenders

Thank you.
    Many thanks!

User Info Menu

Anyway, back to doing what I can do - lazily! I found Eb a bit more fun than C.