The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 123

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    The lyrics seem kind of creepy and macabre in contrast to the way it's usually played, so in honor of its paean to dismemberment, I tried doing it kind of dark and disjointed. No arrangement here beyond the first phrase, just seeing what'll happen

John
    All in good fun!
    Metaphors... Music is full of them.
    "I left my heart in San Francisco..."
    "The lady is a tramp"
    "I'd love to gain complete control of you, even handle the heart and soul of you"

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Well, I wasn't going to do one, but I can't resist that track. Good call Lawson.
    We're waiting ... (crosses arms and taps foot ...)

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    The lyrics seem kind of creepy and macabre in contrast to the way it's usually played, so in honor of its paean to dismemberment, I tried doing it kind of dark and disjointed. No arrangement here beyond the first phrase, just seeing what'll happen

John
    Love it. Love the new axe too. Classy gee-tar right there.

User Info Menu

Love it. Love the new axe too. Classy gee-tar right there.
    Yeah, it ups my style points considerably (granted, not saying much).

John

User Info Menu

Here's a one shot take...

Actually, playing with that track was kinda tricky...the holes in the melody apparently aren't what I usually target.

Oh well...still kinda fun. Might do a different take if time allows.

User Info Menu

Here's a one shot take...

Actually, playing with that track was kinda tricky...the holes in the melody apparently aren't what I usually target.

Oh well...still kinda fun. Might do a different take if time allows.

Cool. I like the western swing vibe. But I agree that it's not so easy to solo in the gaps of that track. I messed around with no it a little but moved on.

John

User Info Menu

Why are you trying to solo in the gaps? Weird. Why is that backing playing the melody? I don't get this. It's like supporting a singer or something, all you've got room for is putting little doodles in.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Why are you trying to solo in the gaps? Weird. Why is that backing playing the melody? I don't get this. It's like supporting a singer or something, all you've got room for is putting little doodles in.
    Just messing around with the cut Lawson posted.

I think I'll do a "for real" take too. This was a decent challenge though...

User Info Menu

Ah, is that the one in #24? I didn't hear it properly because he was playing quite loudly.

But you should do your version, definitely. It's a funny tune, looks so simple but it's not that easy. At least, I didn't find it so. But I'm playing a lot of rubbish anyway at the moment, not sure why :-)

User Info Menu

Ah, is that the one in #24? I didn't hear it properly because he was playing quite loudly.

But you should do your version, definitely. It's a funny tune, looks so simple but it's not that easy. At least, I didn't find it so. But I'm playing a lot of rubbish anyway at the moment, not sure why :-)
    Its a very tough tune not to sound "square" on. The harmony doesn't give you much to work with, and if you start getting cute with subs and such, you lose the essence of the tune quickly.

Always thought this version was brilliant.

User Info Menu

Here’s a version I did yonks ago with a cellist. My favourite bit is when the phone goes off.

here’s a recent version with mr potato head. I think he relates to this one.

I always like this tune as a ‘palette cleanser’ against more difficult or arty material.

User Info Menu

I hate making videos, I get nervous and play like a robot. Not enough light in the room... but I got through it. Just.

Some interesting ideas there. I like the whole-tone scale runs you use in a couple of spots.

John

User Info Menu

It's not a backing track. If you look at the post, it's an actual instrumental performance of the tune by the Count Basie orchestra, so obviously the Count plays the melody (though it's lethally sparse). The second chorus is pretty open, though, and could be a place to solo. I just think it's a fantastic track and I have a lot of fun playing with it. Beats the hell out of iRealPro or Band in a Box.

The Hal Leonard Real Book track for this tune is actually based on the Basie arrangement and is quite fun to play with also. Has the Freddie Green rhythm guitar going, same intro and outro, which I need to chart out because I have some trouble following them.

So here's a clip of my hacking through the tune, but with strict LR stereo separation, the backing track on the L, my guitar on the R. You could play with the track I suppose just by muting my guitar track.

User Info Menu

Lawson -

I had a hand like that once :-)

Thanks for the info. I downloaded the video audio and put it into Audacity, which is the only relevant software I've got. They have a L/R pan effect but it doesn't completely separate the backing from the solo. So all I've got is a softer solo, if you see what I mean. It's not usable as a backing.

In any case, to be honest, I'm not sure it would make a lot of difference to what I'd do. But it is true that one's affected by the type of backing one uses. A band sound isn't the same as my own chordal stuff; it does affect the playing.

But many thanks anyway. We struggle on :-)

User Info Menu

Lawson -

I had a hand like that once :-)

Thanks for the info. I downloaded the video audio and put it into Audacity, which is the only relevant software I've got. They have a L/R pan effect but it doesn't completely separate the backing from the solo. So all I've got is a softer solo, if you see what I mean. It's not usable as a backing.

In any case, to be honest, I'm not sure it would make a lot of difference to what I'd do. But it is true that one's affected by the type of backing one uses. A band sound isn't the same as my own chordal stuff; it does affect the playing.

But many thanks anyway. We struggle on :-)
    Mr.Ragman1,
    It is a very easy to separate tracks on Audacity.
    Audio file sent by Lawson has a great chanell separation/one chanell-guitar,another-backing tr./.
    You have to put sparate stereo chanells/left side over streo track/ .Next you can do what you want...f.ex.cancel solo and normalize backing track for louder playing...next you can export backing track as mp3 or wave.
    Maybe this help.
    Best
    Kris
    Last edited by kris; 12-15-2020 at 05:32 AM.

User Info Menu

Kris -

Thanks for your help. I've been using Audacity for years and years! You say the audio file Lawson 'sent'. I'm not aware of anything he's posted other than the videos.

The audio coming from the videos isn't stereo here, it's all one track so it can't be separated. The tracks might have been separate originally but not on the final video here. I can only make the left or right softer or louder. You always hear the guitar whatever you do.

I think this is right but if not I'm sure someone will tell me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Here’s a version I did yonks ago with a cellist. My favourite bit is when the phone goes off.

here’s a recent version with mr potato head. I think he relates to this one.

I always like this tune as a ‘palette cleanser’ against more difficult or arty material.
    Man, this cellobass sounds awesome. When she's doing the walking lines it's refreshing. You guys rock! Oops, sorry wrong forum, you guys swing.

User Info Menu

Kris -

Thanks for your help. I've been using Audacity for years and years! You say the audio file Lawson 'sent'. I'm not aware of anything he's posted other than the videos.

The audio coming from the videos isn't stereo here, it's all one track so it can't be separated. The tracks might have been separate originally but not on the final video here. I can only make the left or right softer or louder. You always hear the guitar whatever you do.

The video Lawson did in post 41 (not the earlier post) is in stereo, although I hear the backing track on the right channel not left.

You can split the stereo track to 2 mono tracks in Audacity (it’s either in the Tracks menu or it’s one of those options listed on the left of the actual track, can’t remember right now), then remove the unwanted guitar track, to leave just the backing track.

User Info Menu

Kris -

1.Convert video file for audio/wave/.It is in stereo.
    2.Open in Audacity
    3.Seperat wave stereo chanels/L+R/
    4.Cancel chanel-track with guitar
    5.Normalise backing track and save if you like.
    That is all.
    I /ve got clean Lawson/s backing track without any problems.
    Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    The video Lawson did in post 41 (not the earlier post) is in stereo, although I hear the backing track on the right channel not left.

You can split the stereo track to 2 mono tracks in Audacity (it’s either in the Tracks menu or it’s one of those options listed on the left of the actual track, can’t remember right now), then remove the unwanted guitar track, to leave just the backing track.
    Grahambop +1
    Video file from post 41.
    It is stereo audio file in this video.
    Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop

Sorry, I've done all this. #41 was the one I used. Splitting the track to mono gives you two tracks but does not separate the audio. Nor do any of the other options.

Downloading (recording the vid audio internally with Audacity) doesn't produce a stereo track. How could it? It's one sound. To separate the lead from the backing requires a stereo dual-input track and it's not that.

I could very easily demonstrate it all with a phone video but I'm not going to!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    1.Convert video file for audio/wave/.It is in stereo.
    2.Open in Audacity
    Ah - convert it BEFORE it's opened in Audacity. How do you do that?

User Info Menu

There is a link with seperated mp3 backing track from Lawson's video.
    Best
    Kris

Box

User Info Menu

Ah - convert it BEFORE it's opened in Audacity. How do you do that?
    You have to instal free video to mp3 converter.
    There are a lot of them.

User Info Menu

Sorry, I've done all this. #41 was the one I used. Splitting the track to mono gives you two tracks but does not separate the audio. Nor do any of the other options.

Downloading (recording the vid audio internally with Audacity) doesn't produce a stereo track. How could it? It's one sound. To separate the lead from the backing requires a stereo dual-input track and it's not that.

I could very easily demonstrate it all with a phone video but I'm not going to!
    Must be something wrong in your setup, it is stereo and I am sure I could import it to audacity and split it. Looks like Kris has now done it for you.