The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 67

User Info Menu

Our standard for Nov 2020 will be Darn That Dream (Jimmy Van Heusen, Eddie De Lange, 1939).

Background:
    Jazz Standards Songs and Instrumentals (Darn That Dream)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Did this a while back

User Info Menu

Those were the days when I could put a solo jazz guitar video out on YouTube and get 15K views haha.

User Info Menu

Yes, but you were young and keen, then :-)

Nice stuff.

User Info Menu

I recorded Dream about 8 years ago. I really should lay it down again, as there are a few problems with this version. 1st among them is that I didn't have enough musical ideas to fill a solo of that length, and the chords at the very end are particularly bothersome...

That being said, it's a really great tune, and here's a version of it:

User Info Menu

I've ever learned this tune, nor played it. So this is a first shot at playing the head. Im using the HL Real Book backing track and doing basic chord-melody, nothing fancy.

User Info Menu

I did this one last winter when I got my GJ guitar. This is the first tune I ever really figured out how to play solo, though I haven't ever recorded it entirely to my satisfaction. There are so many great versions Sarah Vaughan, Bill Evans/Jim Hall, Tal Farlow, all the horn players ...

Anyway, thar she blows ...

John
    Last edited by John A.; 11-17-2020 at 09:58 AM.

User Info Menu

So I've struggled with this tune all month and just when I think I understand how it works, I try to improvise over the changes and it falls apart on me. Alas. So this is the head and one chorus of desperately looking for chord-tones, guide tones, and places to use licks I already know. Maybe a little better than that... I am struggling with improvisation and almost didn't post this, but this is a study group so...

I'm playing the Aria Pro II PE180 into a DVMark Micro 50. The backing track is by Ralph Patt.

User Info Menu

Here's 5 minutes of silliness on this tune.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Here's 5 minutes of silliness on this tune.
    That was really fun! My take-away is that sometimes I'm too "careful" with these tunes. I need to have a little more fun with them...

User Info Menu

Lawson - yours sounds better than you think it does.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Lawson - yours sounds better than you think it does.
    Thank you for that encouragement. I think sometimes we (okay, I) work on something so much we come to hate it all.

User Info Menu

A little pre-turkey dreaming ...

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    So I've struggled with this tune all month and just when I think I understand how it works, I try to improvise over the changes and it falls apart on me. Alas. So this is the head and one chorus of desperately looking for chord-tones, guide tones, and places to use licks I already know. Maybe a little better than that... I am struggling with improvisation and almost didn't post this, but this is a study group so...

I'm playing the Aria Pro II PE180 into a DVMark Micro 50. The backing track is by Ralph Patt.

You definitely stayed with the changes and had some good ideas, especially on the bridge. I like the way you play the head, too.

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    You definitely stayed with the changes and had some good ideas, especially on the bridge. I like the way you play the head, too.

John
    Thanks for that. I’m getting a better feel for the the flow of the changes as I work with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Thanks for the nice and inspiring contributions this month!!

Here is my "effort" in C: 1st chorus improv, 2nd chorus more melody

User Info Menu

I like the sound of that, hohoho. Can you post the backing by itself?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone

I think your chord melody sounds really nice-- I'd just pay attention to time. It sounds like you're trying to sit right on the beat, which causes you to lose it in a few places.

I feel like your time relaxes a bunch when you get into your improv a bit. Some nice ideas, and it gets better as it goes on and you get more comfortable.

Keep it up!

User Info Menu

Here’s a rough shot at a solo arrangement. I’m still trying to internalize the changes and working on finger mechanics, so the rhythmic feel isn’t great. I’m alternating practicing this slow and deliberately vs. faster and relaxed, with the hope I can merge the two approaches into something more interesting than either.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KirkP
    Here’s a rough shot at a solo arrangement. I’m still trying to internalize the changes and working on finger mechanics, so the rhythmic feel isn’t great. I’m alternating practicing this slow and deliberately vs. faster and relaxed, with the hope I can merge the two approaches into something more interesting than either.
    Very nice, Kirk. Lovely and simple. Just what doctor ordered!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    I like the sound of that, hohoho. Can you post the backing by itself?
    Thanks ragman!
    Here's a new take of the backing. Recorded with click track that I did not include in the mix. Added a one bar count in click though...

Dropbox - DarnThatDream_2020_11_28_Backing.mp3 - Simplify your life

User Info Menu

Thanks, hoho, I've got it. I think you might be getting good at these :-)

It's in C, too. Thank god, I was getting bored with G!

User Info Menu

Here we go. It was fun :-)

User Info Menu

Here's a simple chord-melody arrangement at the tail end of the month.

Played on my Eastman Pagelli 2 into a Henriksen Bud 6.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ukena
    Here's a simple chord-melody arrangement at the tail end of the month.

Played on my Eastman Pagelli 2 into a Henriksen Bud 6.

Really nice playing, and lovely tone.