The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 67 of 67

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    I think we should be pretty clear on some things. No one's talking about tawdry emotion or sentimentality. The forum is awash with advice from various posters about going back to the original song when presented with a new or unfamiliar tune. The point is that the words give meaning to the tune, they give context to it. I see nothing wrong with that, do you? Of course, being jazz, one can then take the tune and do what one likes with it. We understand that.

Then there's the difference between one's own personal, subjective emotions and feeling. By feeling I don't mean personal emotions. I mean feeling for the music, feeling for life, feeling for beauty, and so on. The two are as different as chalk and cheese.

On the Tony Rice thread, a poster commented below one of Rice's recordings:

If you think the reference to feeling means he plays like a sissy or something, I can't help you. It doesn't mean that at all.

I'm sorry Lawson feels the the way he does. No one's trying to 'get inside his head' and all that stuff, certainly not me. I've no idea what he's thinking and feeling! How would I know? Nor does it interest me at all, none of my business. So I think we went to somewhere strange on that one.

What I said to him about his playing was very complimentary. I liked what he did. Any comments, as I explained before, were meant to compliment and augment his performance. You must take that or leave it. I can't be responsible for anyone misinterpreting what I'm talking about, especially after it was already explained.

Anyway, sorry if you're all having great objections to something. Like I said before, never my intention. And I think one should always play with feeling, don't you? Otherwise it's all bit arid. In my view, anyway.
    No offense taken by me, I appreciated your comments. But I still don't know what you expect when you ask me to play it with feeling. I thought I was doing that. I felt I was getting free of the mechanics, sticking to a very modest/standard approach to chord melody, and letting the song happen as best I could. I love the tune, never having played it before this thread.

So like I said, i don't know what you want from my performance on that score.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

This is the mood of the original

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    No offense taken by me, I appreciated your comments. But I still don't know what you expect when you ask me to play it with feeling. I thought I was doing that. I felt I was getting free of the mechanics, sticking to a very modest/standard approach to chord melody, and letting the song happen as best I could. I love the tune, never having played it before this thread.

So like I said, i don't know what you want from my performance on that score.
    Hello, Lawson. God knows, I expect you were tired, that's all. It doesn't really matter. I hope you try it again. The brain kind of absorbs it all and what comes out comes out. I've done that so often. No one sees the amount of stuff I throw away!

Oh, happy new year, by the way. Personally, I'm waiting for Jan 20 when they finally get rid of that ghastly little man. No, really. Sorry!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77

Nightmare on swing! The mind boggles

User Info Menu

The mood of the orginal is great.
    Looks like optimistic version of the ballad.

User Info Menu

Hello, Lawson. God knows, I expect you were tired, that's all. It doesn't really matter. I hope you try it again. The brain kind of absorbs it all and what comes out comes out. I've done that so often. No one sees the amount of stuff I throw away!

Oh, happy new year, by the way. Personally, I'm waiting for Jan 20 when they finally get rid of that ghastly little man. No, really. Sorry!
    Happy New Year also to you. This has been an interesting exchange, and I think it's livened this ongoing thread a bit too. Some months it's really slow, so I'm happy that the conversation has continued. On to whatever's next... wait... "All of Me" 'was next... onward to whatever's next AGAIN.

User Info Menu

He hasn't put it up yet but I think it'll be 'More Than You Know'. To be honest, I've already done it... quite nice :-)

User Info Menu

He hasn't put it up yet but I think it'll be 'More Than You Know'. To be honest, I've already done it... quite nice :-)
    Beautiful ballad. Joe Pass has a gorgeous recording of that with a German big band and strings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Is it your version with "jazz feeling"?...

User Info Menu

Here’s a very creative version of the song, with harmony as colourful and distinctive as the shirt:

For me Darn That Dream is one of those chord melodies that write themselves, like All The Things You Are and other tunes where there’s a lot of harmony in the melody. So
    a lot of chord/melody arrangements tend to end up sharing a lot of DNA even where they don’t influence each other directly. I see a lot of shared stuff in Lawson and my versions of the tune for example.

A lot of contemporary players seem to be intent on finding a way out of this. You might also want to check out Lage Lund and Kurt Rosenwinkel’s versions for example.

Or you might think ‘if it ain’t broke’

User Info Menu

Here’s a very creative version of the song, with harmony as colourful and distinctive as the shirt:

For me Darn That Dream is one of those chord melodies that write themselves, like All The Things You Are and other tunes where there’s a lot of harmony in the melody. So
    a lot of chord/melody arrangements tend to end up sharing a lot of DNA even where they don’t influence each other directly. I see a lot of shared stuff in Lawson and my versions of the tune for example.

A lot of contemporary players seem to be intent on finding a way out of this. You might also want to check out Lage Lund and Kurt Rosenwinkel’s versions for example.

Or you might think ‘if it ain’t broke’
    I think this is a great insight. My own chord-melody approach came from studying, ignorantly, the old Mel Bay "Chord Melody System" 35 years ago, which basically just works on learning the harmonized scale. Then I used Steven Crowell's 4 books of arrangement, which are almost like a chord-melody "lick book" set up with standards. A great study, kind of Ted Greene in its general feel, but a very fruitful set of tunes to cut one's teeth on.

I need to work more on harmonic interest, more voice movement, decent fills, and some fresh "grips." The last 4-5 years I've mainly been trying to develop my non-existent line-playing, so actually I was a better solo chord-melody player 10 years ago than I am today. I guess that's why Joe Pass means a lot to me, his solo playing incorporates so many great lines and very solid voicings of chords as well.

User Info Menu

Yes, one thing with Joe is that he does a lot with quite standard materials... also the feel is amazing

But even without all those cool sounding books (none of which I’ve read, much less practiced) with DTD, you have the melody and put the bass under it and - well the middle voices slot in...

Which is great, especially for those new to CM, and there’s no doubt it works great!

but I’d be interested to see if I can come up with fresh things on it.

User Info Menu

Talking about Joe, I was meaning to post this but never did.

User Info Menu

All right, Lawson, here's a CM on this. It's not quite my thing, as you know. I mean, I know the chords, etc, so I'm just getting round it. It goes rubato to swing and back again, which is something, but there's nothing inventive about it. I don't study this genre enough. A proper electric guitar and decent sound would help. Who knows, one day

Oh, it's got lots and lots of feeling... not :-)

User Info Menu

This is what I managed to record today; compare to the other one I did four years ago above :-) searching for something on this tune

User Info Menu

Groovy overdrive, man :-)

User Info Menu

Haha, for some reason all my playing videos seem to distort on phone speakers at full volume. They sound much cleaner on laptop speakers...