User Info Menu

I've watched a number of videos from N'Stuff Music, with Mark Lucas, and really would love some instruction on how to solo as he does with the passing notes in the beginning of this video:

I am well seasoned on my scales and some arpeggios, know my music theory well, and have been playing for many, many years.

But playing like Mark does in this video eludes me and I'm hoping that someone might be able to instruct me to getting on this path!

Your thoughts?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I just listened quickly, was that a one-chord jam? Sounded like it. And then bluesy playing using a lot of chromatics and side-splipping - some nice outside playing at a couple of points.

I think it would be best to just transcribe it (not necessarily to paper). Just play it back over and over and copy the licks and phrases one little section at a time.

That should get you close enough to understand the approach, and then you can start to take it where you want to.

User Info Menu

What Mark Lucas is doing isn't really jazz. He's only noodling chromatically between Em blues pentatonic notes.

Here's Barry Greene playing over a static G7 chord. Probably a bit more interesting for jazz players.

Last edited by ragman1; 07-22-2020 at 03:53 AM.

User Info Menu

I think of that as a very Michael Brecker influenced style . Not easy .

This gives some information on Brecker's style , beware tho' , it's a Masters degree dissertation .
    https://helda.helsinki.fi/bitstream/...=1&isAllowed=y

Also this feller sells some video lessons on that style
    The Style of Michael Brecker-Lesson 1

Also worth checking out Dave Leibman , he wrote an excellent book called " a chromatic approach to jazz harmony and melody "

Good luck !

User Info Menu

This might help :-)

User Info Menu

Or... the easy approach is to have targets, target notes and you use passing or filler materials between them.

What makes it work...is where your targets are.... their rhythmic locations and the rhythmic patterns the target notes are working within.
    Your basically playing a short lick line pattern. The notes creat a harmonic rhythm pattern that create a groove, a sense of repeat.
    you then use rhythmic passing or connecting note devices that add color and energy to the existing repeating line. Your reinforcing the target notes, lick, pattern or whatever your playing with filler material to help reinforce the groove.