The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14

User Info Menu

Our standard for Jun 2020 will be The Nearness of You (Hoagy Carmichael & Ned Washington, 1937).

Background:
    Jazz Standards Songs and Instrumentals (The Nearness of You)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

See attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

User Info Menu

That's a backing track! It's very nice but aren't you going to play something over it? Go on, give it a go!

User Info Menu

I did this very rough take on solo guitar while finishing my morning coffee.

For most of this take I’m focused more on chord voicing than accurately playing the melody. So melody is what I should focus on next. Plus fingering mechanics, intonation, more interesting melodic lines to connect chords, dynamics... It never ends.
    Last edited by KirkP; 06-10-2020 at 02:29 PM.

User Info Menu

Here's a version I did a while back...

jonathangiblin_thenearnessofyou.mp3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan0996
    Here's a version I did a while back...

jonathangiblin_thenearnessofyou.mp3
    That’s great! Makes me think of Grant Green. Good band too.

User Info Menu

In my quest to see what others have done with this great tune, I came across the following stunning versions:

Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong:

Cyrille Aimee and Friends:
    (piano intro is amazing)

I am working on a more upbeat version at 115 bpm for guitar which I hope to post shortly - but these two slow vocal versions are magical.

User Info Menu

pmgetty -

To be honest, I didn't try your backing track, which was my initial thought, because Nearness isn't really a jaunty tune. It is a slow number and I'm not sure it can take too much speed. Ella and Louie's version has rhythm but it's very gentle.

I'm also unsure of the gypsy jazz treatment. There are versions that do that but I always feel they've missed the essence of the song. Maybe if they slow it right down. Django didn't do it, to my knowledge, but Stephane Grappelli did:

User Info Menu

Ragman,

Thanks for sharing this incredible version! Wow!

While I have been playing for 40 years+ I only first came upon this song just a couple of weeks ago as performed by Martin Taylor and Tommy Emmanuel. My jam buddies typically like to play tunes that swing a bit - so my first knee jerk was to dial it in at 115 bpm. However the more I listen to other interpretations of it, I am inclined to agree with you that a slower version brings out the real flavor of this song.

Interesting how tunes seem to find a natural tempo over time. I understand that Hoagy's most popular song, Stardust, was originally performed as a more upbeat number. It didn't become popular however until the tempo was slowed down and lyrics were added.

Here's the first version I heard from Martin and Tommy:

User Info Menu

Walking Bass Comp Etude
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Last edited by Vladan; 07-04-2020 at 08:00 AM.

User Info Menu

Love these threads! One day I'll have the courage to post a video of my own. One day!!

User Info Menu