The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 66

User Info Menu

After 20 years of profession playing and 10 of Uni Teaching I decided to share the knowledge I accumulated so far in terms of playing guitar and how to learn. One of the triggers for this desition is the corona virus affair. Lots of people are stuck (expecially where I come from) and although I can not really help with it I am sure that there are many guitar lovers out there and I hope that spending some time on the instrument will contribute in taking their mind away from all that is going on and maybe feel less stressed or have less anxiety. The first video has a long introduction (future videos will indeed have less talking and more straight on information) which I suggest you watch as it sets the tone for what's to come. Also it contains a few ideas on how learning should be approached in order to be effective and long lasting.

A link to the PDF with the various exercises presented is alavailable further in the video description ( and no, I won't ask you to subscribe to newletters, channel or other sort of marketing stuff for you to download it.....it's a google drive link)

I hope you will enjoy it, that you will find it informative, easy to understand but ,more importantly, that it will help you further in being able to express your creativity on the guitar.

Last edited by onemuso; 04-15-2020 at 07:32 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Interesting lesson, Francesco, and for a good cause.

I don't use the CAGED system, so I have to adapt your scalar patterns to my fingerings, but your pdf represents a solid reference.
    The more interesting part for me is the one related to the muscle/photographic memory.
    Thinking about it, my eyes are glued to the fretboard during woodshedding and performance alike, so I probably need some exercise to solve this problem. The first one that comes to my mind is to execute all triads in all inversion on every note on the fretboard around the circle of fourth, with my eyes closed - not an easy task, I found out .
    Any suggestion - from you or from other forum members?

Thanks, and - obviuosly - saluti dall'Italia: ne verremo fuori Learning Guitar - Lesson 1-untitled-png.

Sergio

Ciao Sergio, first of all thank you and yes "ne verremo fuori"
    If you play using the 7 positions (3 notes per string) or any other approach the theory is the same but indeed you have to adapt the fingerings for intervals, triads, extended triads etc. I use an hybrid of things ( for arpeggios for example I am not too stuck into the caged system as I find it limiting and does not really "train your ears" in my opinion....you will see this once I finish compiling the second lesson which is on arpeggios)
    Practising in 4th is always a good idea and in terms of not looking at the fretboard what works for me is picturing it in my head or focus on something else ( I often tend to focus on what the drummer is doing). Performance wise if you have practised It is important to trust your instinct and let it do its thing.
    "the inner game of music" is a very interesting book and discuss greatly this aspect of playing (let's say, the psychological one). I think it is a very useful book in case you want to look into it.
    I hope this helps neither the less, as I mentioned, It is all learning so enjoy the process and don't worry about the goal as it will happen, I am sure
    Ciao e tieni duro

Quote Originally Posted by sergio.bello
    Interesting lesson, Francesco, and for a good cause.

I don't use the CAGED system, so I have to adapt your scalar patterns to my fingerings, but your pdf represents a solid reference.
    The more interesting part for me is the one related to the muscle/photographic memory.
    Thinking about it, my eyes are glued to the fretboard during woodshedding and performance alike, so I probably need some exercise to solve this problem. The first one that comes to my mind is to execute all triads in all inversion on every note on the fretboard around the circle of fourth, with my eyes closed - not an easy task, I found out .
    Any suggestion - from you or from other forum members?

Thanks, and - obviuosly - saluti dall'Italia: ne verremo fuori Learning Guitar - Lesson 1-untitled-png.

Sergio
    Before I forget...when it comes to jazz try, beside cycle of 4ths, to practice triads (or scales or anything really) in other combination (3rds, b3rds etc) ...it's fun

User Info Menu

Thanks for the lesson, Francesco. At my level it will take some time to work through it. One thing I'm doing is transcribing the tab to notation as I want to work on my reading skills.

Cheers,
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by jdazey
    Thanks for the lesson, Francesco. At my level it will take some time to work through it. One thing I'm doing is transcribing the tab to notation as I want to work on my reading skills.

Cheers,
    Joe
    Thanks Joe, indeed take your time. It's all about the "journey" so even adding one "word" at the time to your vocabulary is per se a nice experience, I think. The fact the your are notating the tabs is absolutely great and will help your reading I am sure. Keep me posted here on the forum and if you have any question just let me know
    Ciao

I don't want to swamp the forum with a new thread every time I publish a new lesson so I will keep posting updates here.
    I just published the second lesson of my "learning guitar" series. This lesson deals with the left hand major arpeggios connected to the scale shape studied in lesson 1 (E major shape).
    Once again you can find a link to the PDF with all the exercises explained in the video description. (and no, I won't ask you to subscribe to a newsletter or something just to get the pdf...it's just a google drive link)
    I hope you enjoy it and find it informative

Lesson 3 of the "Learning Guitar" series is now online. This time we deal with shape of "E" major in terms of chords development.

With this we close the circle for Shape of "E" Major having done Scale (Lesson1), Arpeggios (Lesson2) and Chords (Lesson3).

As usual a PDF is available from the link in the video description. Next stop..Shape of "D" major. In the meanwhile enjoy practicing and playing

L4
    Shape of "D" Major (scale) and other interesting considerations about horizontal and vertical playing, three notes per string approach and a 21 pages PDF .....happy easter

P.S.: does anyone know how to change the name of the thread ? As I am posting updates here maybe I should change it to just "learning guitar" as opposed to "learning guitar - lesson 1" but I don't know how to do it (and if it can be done). I still think It is a good idea not to swamp the forum with a thread every time I add another video but that lesson 1 makes no sense anymore as I am at 4

Last edited by onemuso; 04-11-2020 at 02:31 AM.

User Info Menu

As far as I know, in thread tools (above first post, in full site desktop view), you can change title, but option goes away after thread is live for a while.
    I think you can send a private message to admin, or to owner, they can do it for you.

Lesson 5 published ....D Major Shape arpeggios knowledge and workouts

Enjoy and don't forget to download the pdf

Lesson 6 of the "Learning guitar series" (Shape of D Major Chords) is now on the youtube channel...watch the lesson, download the pdf and enjoy learning, practicing and playing

Lesson 7 of the "Learning guitar" series is now online on youtube. This time we start discussing the C Major Shape
    Watch the lesson, download the pdf and hopefully it will be useful to your development as musician

User Info Menu

Teaching beginners... Lesson 1: How to tune the guitar and how to change strings

Quote Originally Posted by pauln
    Teaching beginners... Lesson 1: How to tune the guitar and how to change strings
    I don't expect total beginners to roam around a jazz guitar forum and indeed these videos do not address them but maybe you are right and I should have put that in the title.
    Unless what you mean is that I am a beginner and I should learn how to tune the guitar and change strings

Lesson 8 of the "Learning guitar" series is now on Youtube. This time we discuss the Shape of "C" arpeggios...enjoy both practicing and playing

And with this we conclude our discussion over the "C" Major shape ...this time we talk chords.

3 shapes down, 2 more to go

Lesson 10 of the "learning guitar" series is now on youtube. This time we discuss the Shape of "A" major; scale, intervals, triads, extended triads, groupings, 3 notes per string etc.
    Don't forget to download the PDF (link in the video description) as it makes it easier to follow what's going on in the video...enjoy practicing and playing

Lesson 11 of the "learning guitar" series is now on youtube. This time we discuss A Shape Major Arpeggios.

Enjoy practicing and playing

User Info Menu

Watching.

Lesson 12 of the "Learning guitar" series is now on youtube. This time we discuss chords deriving from the shape of A

Lesson 13 of the "Learning guitar" series in now of youtube. G Major shape scale studies, excercises involving all 5 shapes and 3 notes per string summing up are the topics...enjoy and don't forget to download the pdf (link in the video description)

Lesson 14 of the "Learning guitar" (G shape major arpeggios) series in now on youtube.....enjoy practicing and playing

Lesson 15 of the "Learning guitar series" is now on youtube.

This time we close the chapter about the CAGED system by discussing the "G Major shape" chords and introducing the cycle of 4ths as practice progression to verify our knowledge so far.

Beside the usual PDF this time I have added a backing track you can practice along.

Enjoy practicing and playing

Lesson 16 of the "Learning Guitar" series is now on my Lessons Archives Youtube Channel.
    In this lesson we discuss some introductory concepts of harmony and theory. From a practical point of view in this lesson we will establish and detail the "harmonisation of a Ionian Scale" (how to go from scales to chords) and how this can help you in analysing songs while establishing their key center and which Ionian Scale (the scale we have been studying in the first 15 lessons) can be used for you to create melodies and solos on top of diatonic chord progressions.
    Also this will give us a quick road map on how to traspose diatonic based tunes in any key.
    Watch the lesson and do not forget to download the free PDFs attached to it (link in the Youtube Video Description).

I am keeping Lessons and PDFs free to access but I decided to join Patreon so if you like this or previous lessons and you find them useful please do consider supporting this project more actively by becoming a Patron, your contribution is much appreciated. You can have a look at the various Tiers and Benefits by visiting my Patreon page :

Francesco Lo Castro is creating guitar lessons, music producton tutorials & original music | Patreon