Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 261
    joelf Guest
    Because we've gotten so far away

And just because...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

^ the great son house!!...his orig death letter blues is one of my fave blues ever!!

equally great but different- mississippi john hurt..."ny's a good town, but it's not for mine!!" avalon blues

cut in 1928!

cheers

User Info Menu

the great lightnin hopkins...pure texas bluesman

baby please dont go

check his right hand!!! he's all over for the dynamics!!! master

cheers

User Info Menu

early "vid" style by the great jb lenoir

w gagliano branded hofner made arch..with added dearmond pup

cheers

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    ^ the great son house!!...his orig death letter blues is one of my fave blues ever!!

equally great but different- mississippi john hurt..."ny's a good town, but it's not for mine!!" avalon blues

cut in 1928!

cheers
    I had a record with Candy Man as a teen. How I loved it!

joelf Guest
    Other faves, records I owned starting from teen years:

Sonny Terry-Brownie McGhee:
    (Hometown Blues---I think? On either Everest or Folkways. It had Meet You in the Morning---'if the boat don't sink and the train don't turn around...'
    B.B. King: Live at the Regal
    Blues Jam in Chicago
    Fathers and Sons
    Memphis Slim:
    Blue Memphis
    John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers: A Hard Road; Looking Back; John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers (Clapton w/Beano comic book); Blues From Laurel Canyon
    The Story of the Blues
    The Best of Little Walter
    (was said to be rare in the earliest '70s---had Juke, which we went nuts over)
    For openers, til I think of more...

User Info Menu

the great backstory to avalon blues is they brought him up from avalon mississippi..(his hometown) to record in nyc...avalon blues is his story...couldnt wait to get back home...and actually dissappeared from recording for around 3 decades after that!!

thankfully he was almost as spry and great when they(dick waterman) dug him out for the 60's folk-blues revival...and he got to record again..and influence young players...bonnie raitt sat at his feet!

cheers

joelf Guest
    early "vid" style by the great jb lenoir

w gagliano branded hofner made arch..with added dearmond pup

cheers
    Dayam!

Is that raw or what?!

User Info Menu

my fave uk...peter green

the supernatural...cut with mcvie and fleetwood pre fleetwood mac..on mayall lp

tremendous reverb was added from board by producer mike vernon

cheers

joelf Guest
    Can't leave him out, no way

With a waltz!

joelf Guest
    my fave uk...peter green

the supernatural...cut with mcvie and fleetwood pre fleetwood mac..on mayall lp

tremendous reverb was added from board by producer mike vernon

cheers
    Greenie was the best of the white boys! Even BB said he gave him chills. He still does that to me!

joelf Guest
    Long as we're bringing up Greenie---here's Father:

joelf Guest
    Imagine being a Jewish teen in Canarsie discovering gonads and girls---and hearing this:

joelf Guest
    'Little village, motherf&&r, LITTLE VILLAGE!!

My friend Gary and I, 14 years old---rolling on the floor hearing this exchange with (Leonard?) Chess:

User Info Menu

the other great that bb dug...the great gary moore..who had peter greens lp...notice he has reversed neck pup like greenie did!!!

bb's hammin, but u can see he's blown away...moore was a true great...he was part of bruce, baker and moore..fillin ec's shoes...he played fusiony stuff too..with colosseum and some of his own stuff...and he did metal too..brilliant player..but always blues based

rip gary moore

check bb reactions out on this-from abt 4 minutes on

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joelf
    Imagine being a Jewish teen in Canarsie discovering gonads and girls---and hearing this:
    and this

kalb!

cheers

joelf Guest
    and this

kalb!

cheers
    OMG!

Don't get me started!

joelf Guest
    True confession: after a 'bowl' or 2 I used to 'act out' Flute Thing---dancing around the room. I was 14. When I learned a little bit, sorry, but to me it was pretentious pseudo-jazz drivel. Still is, but at 14 what do you really know? They were heroes then. Maybe if I listened again...

Part of the later (and very recent) resentment is from having read Al Kooper's Backstage Passes and Backstabbing Bastards autobiog. He was so unlikable---cavernous ego, a woman abuser, a self-admitted big hustler with minimal talent. I suppose it made me want to like his music less. I know he scored a lot of wins in the biz. Deserves props for that.

The Blues Project was part of my youth, for sure. But unlike most real deal blues I prefer to leave them there...

User Info Menu

Some of my favorite blues recordings. (There are many, many others. These have run through my head today.)

User Info Menu

I can't stop...

joelf Guest
    the other great that bb dug...the great gary moore..who had peter greens lp cheers
    I can't get past the story---I only wish it weren't true---that he took advantage of Green's mental illness and childlike innocent honesty and bought that guitar from him for like $250 USD---then flipped it for like $10,000. Doesn't sit well with me. Maybe he is a great player. Honestly never heard him. I'll listen...

User Info Menu

This is hip!

User Info Menu

hard to evaluate the person separately from his creative endeavors (woody!).. al kooper.....he was set to play guitar on like a rollin stone..dylan session...in walks mike bloomfield...plugs in and plays a bit..kooper was like- let me outta here!!! i can't even touch the guitar after that...so he sat behind organ..and played away at that..the rest is history!! his career pretty much built off that

I'm not so harsh on koop

and of course blues project was psuedo psuedo...but good reference nevertheless!! haha

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joelf
    I can't get past the story---I only wish it weren't true---that he took advantage of Green's mental illness and childlike innocent honesty and bought that guitar from him for like $250 USD---then flipped it for like $10,000. Doesn't sit well with me. Maybe he is a great player. Honestly never heard him. I'll listen...

no no dont diminish it..he loved peter green..and gave him a fair price at the time..he kept it precious for years...honored it..and when it sold it had huge historic value..dont blame the player..be like if you had george bensons 60's guild...& u bought in 70 for 300$...

skip that line of thought

and dig bbs reaction to his playing...

cheers

User Info Menu

Albert King "Years gone by." Absolute real deal.
    Albert + Booker T and the MGs
    Booker, Steve Cropper, Duck Dunn, and Al Jackson jr